Goodbye Jesus

Squareone's Deconversion [Part One]

SquareOne

Brilliant, lovely, painful, and familiar... Thank you for sharing the story of your journey. I could relate to many points, as you and I have struggled in similar ways. I truly believe and affirm that you were a True Believer. Find peace, friend. Life is good.

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the rest of it...

Looking forward to part two! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks guys!  The first part of part two can be found in the General Christian Theological Issues entitled "Miracle Healing" - if you're interested.

Wow..I can relate to so much of that.I remember the Lakeland revival...that was a turning point in my life.I was very vunberable.I was 14,very lonely,and depressed.My bird (who had been my best friend,haha),just died.And people at church had started talking to me,after me being dragged there by my mom for years.I started going to youth group..I still have a CD of Lakeland...

Lakeland really angered me.  Todd Bentley with his stories of violence.  My personal (un)favourite was when he said that God told him to kick a woman in the face.  How he was not instantly discredited from that moment on, I do not know.  But the crowd loved it!  They laughed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhpFbjfmK6E

• 4 weeks later...

It was definitely interesting to see how much your faith changed throughout your life until your deconversion. If anyone who reads this tries to accuse you of never being a sincere believer, they would need to lie to do it.

I also liked how organized your deconversion testimony was, divided into short chapters. The short chapters combined with the interesting quotes made testimony more interesting than it would have been without them.

Holy carp, so much of this rings true! Thankyou so much for sharing.

I had a similar approach to faith as you I think, I enjoyed questioning various aspects of the general teachings but I also believed passionately and never really gave unemotional thought to the validity of my belief. Now the memory of that belief and how real it felt is something that makes my new-found lack of it so disconcerting, so it's good to hear from someone who's gone through similar extremes!

• 3 months later...
  • Super Moderator

"...because I fear the consequences of someone having their world-view shattered.  It has not been a pleasant experience for me, and I would not wish the pain of the process of deconversion on my friends.  Nonetheless, I do hope that they get there in their own in time."

What a powerfully truthful statement!

Oh good -- I'm glad you're sharing your de-conversion story on here.

I really enjoyed part one, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest.