Goodbye Jesus

Would you reconvert?

Poonis

What would it take for you to re-convert to Christianity?

For me:

1. Show me the christian god as its own entity; absent of all advocation (bible, praying, preaching, followers, etc).

2. Show me that the christian god truly is good, just, and benevolent; absent of all advocation.

3. Show me why, if said god truly exists, why it is then *also* necessary to believe so.

If someone is able to do this I will believe. The ironic thing is, when as a born-again christian, it was in my search for god that I only found advocation thereof.

Maybe someone will attempt to take me up on this ;)

How about you?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amethyst

• Jose

• Poonis

• Gnosis of Disbelief

A lobotomy.

Even if it's all true and god is good, why do I owe him my worship?

Enough cash would do it for me.

But then again, I'm an ex-Catholic, so I can't really re-convert since I've been excommunicated.

"Convert or die!" is another one that I'd buckle to... although I'm trusting you guys not to tell any christians that that would work...

Enough cash would do it for me.

But then again, I'm an ex-Catholic, so I can't really re-convert since I've been excommunicated.

"Convert or die!" is another one that I'd buckle to... although I'm trusting you guys not to tell any christians that that would work...

There was a time i wanted to convert to catholicism just so i can get excommunicated. Kind of like a badge of honor, or somethign to put on my resume.

Becoming Catholic is too hard to do on a whim. It takes forever too. There's the RCIAA classes, getting baptized, first communion, then confirmation, and so on... all in all I think it takes like a year or so.

Which is funny, because if you want to convert because you're marrying a Catholic, it only takes eight weeks.

It's like going to elementary school versus going to boot camp, I guess.

Getting excommunicated is easy though. Just admit that you've either participated in or funded an abortion. POOF! You're not Catholic anymore.

Even if there is a god, it's not necessarily the Christian one. I would not reconvert even if the existance of a god was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. I might meditate more or something, but I see no reason to join a cult.

If the Christian god did exist, I would demand that he free everyone from hell, and at the very least let them die mercifully rather than torturing them forever. Only a sadist would torture someone for all of eternity for a finite "sin". Then I would ask him to destroy hell and let everyone else at least be reborn with the full memory of their past life so they can learn from their mistakes, and let them be reborn again and again until they become a better person.

Then I might reconvert. But only if there was real justice, and not some misguided concept of torturing everyone for all of eternity.

It'd take a direct, personal, Paul-on-the-road-to-Damascus type revelation for me.

Biblegod would have to come down, sit in my living room, show me without a shadow of a doubt who he is, that he's real, and that I should believe in him. I don't know what he'd say, but I figure if he's really the creator of the universe and supposedly knows me better than anybody (since he, supposedly, created me), he'd just know what I needed to hear in order to be convinced.

And somehow he'd have to convince me that it really wasn't all a big brain fart. But I'd probably have my head checked anyway.

I can sure as hell tell you what won't ever get me to reconvert, and that's the words, attitudes, actions, or persuasions of any Xian, dead or alive. They had their chance. It's up to their deity now - and if he wants me back, he knows where to find me.

A Klondike bar.

Nope. Never. No way. There's way too much suffering in this

world for me to take any deity seriously, even if he/she/it were

real. Plus, if biblegawd were real, he would have to tell me that

everything in the bible was a lie - all the smiting, genocide, rape,

weird rules, people going to hell, etc., etc. Moreover, he would

have to tell me that every fundy that ever lived would have to

spend all eternity making amends to everyone they ever

wronged in his name.

I think the chances of all that are somewhere between nil and

zero, however.....

I would reconvert if:

1) someone forced me to a la threatening

2) God actually bothered to communicate with me and

3) managed to explain himself better then anyone whose ever spoken for him

1) someone forced me to a la threatening

Well, yeah, if someone held a gun to my head, I'd tell them I would reconvert. (But after my life was no longer in danger and the person who threatened me was in jail, I wouldn't.)

Its one of the biggest things against all religions, no supernatural being has contact with our world.

Christians say God loves us all, wants to have a relationship with us, and has the power to do so... so why the hell doesn't he just do it?

I know having the big guy turn up and say "I'm real!" would be pretty convincing. He wants to, he is able to but for some reason refuses to until you are completely brainwashed.

Of course the Bible makes it sound like he hung out with humans all the time, talked to them and gave signs on request like in Kings 18 the famous competition between God and Baal:

Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: 24 And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.

Of course Baal failed the test but the Lord showed off his magic tricks:

Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word. 37 Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again. 38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench

And then in a show of religious tolerance:

And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.

I would happily challenge any religion to repeat that event. 2 billion christians, surely there must be one who is good in Gods sight so can call the fire and prove God to us?

A lobotomy.

Even if it's all true and god is good, why do I owe him my worship?

Ditto. I have too much information AGAINST Christianity to ever be "won". My brain would have to be fried first. "Hell" would have to freeze over first, and I don't believe in "Hell" either!

I would reconvert if serpents talked, virgins had babies, and said babies come back to life after being dead for three days. :mellow:

Getting excommunicated is easy though. Just admit that you've either participated in or funded an abortion. POOF! You're not Catholic anymore.

Jose,

Do they have a list? Do they keep track, or is it on the honor system? What if you move to another part of the country or world, would they know you were excommunicated? Say for some reason, you wanted to go to church and take communion, if they don't know you were excommunicated could you do it or would they find out?

What do they do to excommunicate you? Do you get a "Dear Jose" letter? Do they just say, dude, YOUR EXCOMMUNICATED!?

Just wondering.

Taph

Just reiterating what some have already said, but I'd require direct revelation.

I think it was Thomas Paine who said that anything other than direct revelation was second hand hearsay, and could not be trusted.

If god exists and desires that we acknowledge it, it would give each of us whatever proof we need to do so.

Dan

I could reconvert given sufficient evidence and a holy book I don't find filthy like the Bible.

A month ago I would have stayed in the fold if God had just given me an answer regarding my nasty neighbor situation.

At this point I would need more, much more. God must forgive Eve and restores Eden. He must heal the hearts and bodies of all those He smote in His petty jealousy and anger. He must renovate Hell and formally apologize to all of us.

Then I will believe He exists and that He is a loving Father who cares for His children.

Fucken hot women - blondes, brunettes, redheads - all offering me sex on tap, any time, anywhere, one on one, twosomes, threesomes, larger groups, being my willing and consenting servants, slaves and sex slaves, for all kinds of fun intimate sexual experiences.

Only then would I give thanks to God.

I would never go back to christianity. Everything is so damned deceptive, superficial, and hateful in christianity that nothing can convince to go back.

Heaven doesnt even sound attractive anymore. Hell has never scared me. What would be the point?

Braindeath.

:pureevil:

Jose,

Do they have a list? Do they keep track, or is it on the honor system? What if you move to another part of the country or world, would they know you were excommunicated? Say for some reason, you wanted to go to church and take communion, if they don't know you were excommunicated could you do it or would they find out?

What do they do to excommunicate you? Do you get a "Dear Jose" letter? Do they just say, dude, YOUR EXCOMMUNICATED!?

Just wondering.

Taph

I actually got a letter from some bishop in Rome stating that my previous sacraments (baptism, communion, confirmation) were invalidated and that the Roman Catholic Church was no longer a route for salvation for me pending a full confession to an archbishop and the intercession of said bishop on my behalf to the Holy See. According to the official Catechism of the Catholic Church, anyone who participates in an abortion is excommunicae latæ setentia or "excommunicated upon commission" of the sin. By going to confession, I just sealed the deal and made it official.

I'd assume there's a list somewhere, but I don't know for sure.

Basically, I could go where they didn't know me and receive communion, etc, but by the nature of my "sin," any sacraments I participate in are additional sins and considered heretical and blasphemous and would "compound the severity of my already heinous disregard for the teachings of Jesus Christ."

Blah, blah, blah... yada, yada, yada...

It's still the best $300 I ever spent. I wasn't exactly ready to be a dad at that time.

I'm still not, actually.

Fucken hot women - blondes, brunettes, redheads - all offering me sex on tap, any time, anywhere, one on one, twosomes, threesomes, larger groups, being my willing and consenting servants, slaves and sex slaves, for all kinds of fun intimate sexual experiences......

Please add the above to my previously staded requirements. :wicked:

How about you?

Food magically multiplying and feeding the millions of starving people worldwide.