Goodbye Jesus

Would you reconvert?

Poonis

So the only way I ever could be able once again to call myself a Christian, would be, if I meet a radically different form of Christainity with a totally different content. It would have to be a Christianity where the god doesn't have to kill his son in order to be able to accept humans, it would have to be a christianity that makes life better for humans, instead of terrorising them with destructive ideas about sin and hell.

I tried liberal Christianity for a while, but it was like trying to believe in Santa Claus again without the lumps of coal, or picking and choosing which reindeer you liked.

"Let's see, I like Dasher but not Dancer, Prancer but not Vixen, I don't like Donner, but I do like Blizten...oh, and I hate Rudolph's red nose so I won't believe in him either."

This is what cherry picking is like. And it's just as bad as trying to believe in the whole myth, IMHO.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amethyst

• Jose

• Poonis

• Gnosis of Disbelief

What would it take for me?

God manifesting physically from the Heavens and proclaiming that he's the one with my balls in a vice. Even then he'd have to tell me he's nicer the Bible god, or I may just say fuck it.

What would cause me to reconvert? If I saw a amputee's arm or leg grow back, that would impress me somewhat. Yep that would do. :HaHa:

That would certainly prove to me that there is a power out there that I do not understand, but it would still not make me become a Christian.

Guest Enforcer

For me, it was easy to give up being a follower of Jesus. For one thing, if you look at the Hebrew scriptures objectively, Jesus was not the promised "messiah." He did not fulfill the prophesies and the messiah was supposed to be human, not God incarnate. :Doh:

When I left xianity, it was like a weight had been lifted. I suffer no ill effects. What's really cool is that my wife and I both came to the same conclusions at roughly the same time. We're not 100% sure there is no god, but if there is, Jesus ain't him/her.

I wouldn't have a problem converting back to xianity to save the life of my family, but I would be living as a hypocrite. I will never believe that Jesus is god. :thanks:

Never really believed , but I want mountains of proof mainly regarding the moral injustice of christianity . All in all I dont really think its rationally possible for the christianity that is widely accepted to be true .

• 2 weeks later...

I think I can skip the clever formalities and get right to it: I left not christianity, or even religion, when I deconverted, but abandoned the idea that anything of the past or future, in other words, anything attainable by thought, is capable of touching truth. I think conciousness often makes us feel like we are little mice surfing on this big wave called physical reality...

That's very good... a mouse sufing the wave. I admit to feeling a bit like Curious George on occasion, just riding my bicycle along the hills and valleys of quantum foam, bug-eyed with wonder.

but in actuality, I think we are droplets of the wave itself, and thus incapable of seeing what, where, how or why we are in any capacity, because there is no difference between the one seeing, "me" and what is being seen "my experiences".

Yes. Perhaps we are so focused on the troughs and crests, we fail to realize we ARE the wave.

In other words, even a damascus-road-style experience would only be cause for further experimentation with thought, and I would not convert even then.

At this stage of the game, I'd have to request I.D.

"A human being is part of the whole world, called by us "Universe", a part limited in time and space. he experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest--a kind of optical illusion of his consciousness. The striving to free oneself from this delusion is the one issue of true religion. Not to nourish the delusion but to try to overcome it is the way to reach the attainable measure of peace of mind"

:notworthy: wow.

Wow indeed. That's a keeper, thanks!

What would it take for you to re-convert to Christianity?

No chance of that, not the fundie Jesus nor the liberal Christ

Man's mind, stretched by a new idea, never goes back to it's original dimensions.

Oliver Wendall Holmes, Jr.

Over the years, as I found myself slipping through a crack in my belief system and tasting freedom, I grew uneasy a few times and ran back to security. But the wall eventually comes tumbling down over time. I guess I got stretched.

cheers,

cho

• 1 month later...

When He returns to Earth I will gladly bow the knee to Him. But if He insists that all unbelievers deserve Hell even if I think they are lovely, then I shall say, "Bollocks to you, I,ll take my chances with them!"

My worldview has shifted so far away from where I was, I'm not sure I could ever go back. It's like a can of worms, once opened...

I'd have to be walking around a church holding hands with my prayer group praying protection from evil spirits over the church when suddenly the previously dark sky would glow a beautiful reddish orange for about 30 to 45 seconds. Then we'd have to go back into the church and the majority of the group would surround me and tell me how God allowed me to see that because of my faith while a minority of the group would look away and say nothing.

Oh wait...no, that's what reconverted me the last time. Then I found out a few years later that on dark cloudy nights, the local steel mill sometimes moved vats of molten steel from building to building causing the sky to glow a beautiful reddish orange...the same steel mill that was two blocks over from the church. And the ASSHOLES didn't want to just TELL me what it TRULY was, but instead let me believe like a DUMBASS that it was a SIGN FROM GAWD!!!

No, I'll not reconvert. Reconversion would imply going back to the same old shit, and I will not go back to that. Now if there is a god that is truly loving and compassionate and doesn't want to fry all those who don't believe that he/she exists in something much hotter than that same molten steel, all he/she has to do is come introduce him/herself and spend some time with me proving to me that he/she is a god and letting me know exactly what he/she wants. Then I'll think about BELIEVING.

There are a few things in life that would make me reconvert outside of the god in my livingroom type of thing. Most of those are violent and involves hurting those I love. The only peacefull way would to give me all the tithe money the church gets for 10 years.

-Jake

I have no idea if I'll ever reconvert or not. It might happen, it might not. I'm not sure what it would take to convince me. Not knowing is what makes me a "seeker". ;)

I've been more and more frustrated with the Church lately, so reversion to my old system of belief will likely not happen anytime soon.