Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Think Of People At Ex-Christian.net

Guest r3alchild

Actually, I would say BO is asshole number 1.   

wink.png

Agreed. Although there is one other than exceeds him, but isn't around much now.

• Like 1

Bitch here!   but only when necessary  ;)

• Like 2

Guest r3alchild

To those who recognize their asshole-ness: Acceptance is the first step on the road to recovery. smile.png

The 12 Steps of Assholism of Ex-c......

Step 1. I admitted that I was a complete asshole and my life has become totally unmanageable because of my big mouth on Ex-c.

Step 2. Came to believe that an Ex-c, 'non-asshole' member could restore me to sanity.

Step 3. Made a decision to turn my life over to the care of the 'non-asshole's' on Ex-c.

Step 4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of myself as an asshole.

Step 5. Admitted to all the 'non-asshole' members on Ex-c, and to myself, the exact nature of my assholism.

Step 6. Was entirely ready to have the 'non-assholes' on Ex-c remove all these defects of character.

Step 7. Humbly asked the 'non-assholes on Ex-c to help me remove my shortcomings as a recovering asshole and to forgive me.

Step 8. Made a list of all the 'non-asshole' members of Ex-c I had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all, before calling them assholes again.

Step 9. Made direct amends to the 'non-assholes' on Ex-c, wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them again by calling them an asshole.

Step 10. Continued to take personal inventory of my assholism and when I was acting like an asshole, promptly admitted it.

Step 11. Sought help through the 'non assholes' of Ex-c, to improve my conscious contact with my assholism , asking only for their knowledge of how to defeat assholism and to give me the power to carry that out.

Step 12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, I tried to carry this message to other assholes on Ex-c and to practice my new

'non assholism' in all my affairs on Ex-c.

yellow.gif

Clever
  • Like 1

Most people here are pretty cool.  Even people who have an entirely different way of thinking about many things than I do (BO, lifecycle, many others).  The only behavior that bothers me are attacks on a person's character, which I have seen a few times and have had them happen to me twice here now. 

The reason why I enjoyed it so much here when I first joined is because I've never been able to openly speak to people about the issues that come up here.  It's sucky always feeling alone, and different.  It's sucky feeling like speaking your mind will hurt others, or make others dislike or distrust you.  It's sucky feeling like my colleagues will look down on me if they knew I was an atheist. 

Here, it's nice to know people can accept not only those like them, but those who are unlike them as well.  That's what I like. 

What I don't like, is seeing people tell others that they should be ashamed of or change who they are.  Unfortunately I have seen that a few times here as well.  But hey, such is life.

• Like 1

Sometimes the assholes have awesome things to say, and sometimes awesome people run out of patience and act like assholes. But for the threads that doen't get out of hand and turn into a pissing match between a small number of people that destroys all hope of intelligent conversation (at least for a few pages), this site is definitely awesome.

• Like 1

I have to say, statistically, this site's population scores stunningly low on the asshole-o-meter. So amazingly low, in fact, that I counted it as practically nil. You'll always find assholes, anywhere, after all, everybody has one.

• Like 1

In thinking about this question it occurred to me that I probably should make a distinction between what I think of the people that post on this board and what I think of the way people come across to me on this board. What I mean is I’d be willing to bet that even much-maligned and almost self-proclaimed “assholes” like BO and Noggy are probably nice people IRL. I’d also be willing to bet that folks that grate on me because they sometimes seem overly-sensitive or reactionary probably come across as well-adjusted, genuinely caring and nurturing individuals IRL.

I suspect I’d probably like the people who come across as assholes and it’s possible that I may even dislike some of the ones that don’t if we were to actually sit down and have a conversation across from each-other in some other setting. I need to be more mindful of the fact that internet personas are just not the same and many people are just not as equipped at expressing themselves in this kind of medium in a way that communicates traits that would otherwise make them likeable. It makes me wonder if some of you who may find me likeable on this board would think I’m a stodgy, pretentious asshole in real life (assuming I don’t already come across that way online).

Usually when I encounter certain attitudes or reactions that I don’t like on here I chalk it up to the fact that so many of us have been hurt and damaged by the bullshit we were mired in for so many years. When I see people come across as just plain weird, I remind myself that just because I have a better personal filter doesn’t make me any less strange.

This thread itself reminds me of just how unique this setting of exchange of ideas and thoughts is. I mean, just imagine if christavrous just stood up in a middle of a group of people and said, “hey, what do you guys think of everyone here?” and a bunch of people started actually answering the question in a rather candid fashion. That would be unheard of in others social settings.

OK, I’m rambling. I said all that when I could’ve just quoted OF:

I choose not to form an opinion based on those varied issues and how we interact with each other while addressing them.  Rather, my opinion is based on what I see as the core mission of ExC.  That mission is to provide comfort, understanding, help, and a sympathetic ear to the newly deconverted (and the not so newly deconverted).  On that one issue, we do seem to be monolithic and on that issue I say that people on here are awesome!

So, yeah. What he said.

• Like 3

I picked "they all have assholes". O wait....

Nah, I picked most of ya'll are awesome! Except for a few of you. *looks around the forum and behind people*

No, you're just interested IN their assholes.  yellow.gif

• Like 1

In thinking about this question it occurred to me that I probably should make a distinction between what I think of the people that post on this board and what I think of the way people come across to me on this board. What I mean is I’d be willing to bet that even much-maligned and almost self-proclaimed “assholes” like BO and Noggy are probably nice people IRL. I’d also be willing to bet that folks that grate on me because they sometimes seem overly-sensitive or reactionary probably come across as well-adjusted, genuinely caring and nurturing individuals IRL.

I suspect I’d probably like the people who come across as assholes and it’s possible that I may even dislike some of the ones that don’t if we were to actually sit down and have a conversation across from each-other in some other setting. I need to be more mindful of the fact that internet personas are just not the same and many people are just not as equipped at expressing themselves in this kind of medium in a way that communicates traits that would otherwise make them likeable. It makes me wonder if some of you who may find me likeable on this board would think I’m a stodgy, pretentious asshole in real life (assuming I don’t already come across that way online).

Usually when I encounter certain attitudes or reactions that I don’t like on here I chalk it up to the fact that so many of us have been hurt and damaged by the bullshit we were mired in for so many years. When I see people come across as just plain weird, I remind myself that just because I have a better personal filter doesn’t make me any less strange.

This thread itself reminds me of just how unique this setting of exchange of ideas and thoughts is. I mean, just imagine if christavrous just stood up in a middle of a group of people and said, “hey, what do you guys think of everyone here?” and a bunch of people started actually answering the question in a rather candid fashion. That would be unheard of in others social settings.

OK, I’m rambling. I said all that when I could’ve just quoted OF:

I choose not to form an opinion based on those varied issues and how we interact with each other while addressing them.  Rather, my opinion is based on what I see as the core mission of ExC.  That mission is to provide comfort, understanding, help, and a sympathetic ear to the newly deconverted (and the not so newly deconverted).  On that one issue, we do seem to be monolithic and on that issue I say that people on here are awesome!

So, yeah. What he said.

HA, I really liked what you and OF said here.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm not quite sure but I think my 'drama' personality is about the same in real life. It takes a lot of extra time to make a post because I like to express myself as well as I can. I also understand that this 'drama' posting can get on one's nerves. I know that about myself. Not everyone can like everyone. It's just a fact. I'm really OK with that.

I don't have some things in common with some of the people on the board but it gives me great comfort to see their names. It's kinda like...the gang is all here and we all go to the topics we like the best...and yet I can still 'wave' to my friend across the room. I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

I go into the threads where the 'gang' love to banter back and forth on politics. I giggle to myself saying, ''there they go - off on their rampage... and I laugh....

Then I turn to my favorite topic which will mostly be an 'emotional' topic. That's what I like. I still like the whole gang here. I still appreciate the common bond that brought us all together.........

As always.....love to you all today!!  yellow.gif zLove1.gif rolleyes.gif moon.gif kiss.gif

I put everybody was awesome. I admire the diverse delivery methods of opinion some blunt some more "politically correct". When I first heard Hitchens speak i thought he was an @$$h0le. But we need to be slapped sometimes with exception when people here are emotionally hurting or recovering from religious indoctrination.