Goodbye Jesus

Tarot Discussions

Guest r3alchild

A open discussion about tarot cards, all are welcome.

Oh chris! I'm soooo mad at myself because I actually was going to order these cards two weeks ago!! woohoo.gif  I'll be back...gotta go get me a set of cards.........yellow.gif

• Like 1

Are we gonna predict the future or play Texas Hold 'Em? I got three dragons and a cup.

Are we gonna predict the future or play Texas Hold 'Em? I got three dragons and a cup.

Par....I'm gonna read your fortune for you within 2 months!!! It's will cost $45.00 yellow.gif

Actually...I am 'feeling' something right now....... silverpenny013Hmmm.gif I feel that...something in your house is leaking......quick go look LeslieLook.gif  at every tap, every toilet, every shower head...

.......hurry...I can feel it.......Wendymagic.gif  

I should have never retired from work...................................

• Like 1

just talk about tarot and such.  

3dragons hunh..... sounds like a game a thrones fur shure

Guest r3alchild

So lets talk about choosing cards, there are so many ones to choose. I think the best way to choose is to look at the deck and if you really like them and the images speak to you, go with that. I found it helps more to read cards when you connect with the images on the deck. My deck of choice is the mythic tarot deck because its based on all the greek myths and storys and I connect to it because I am greek.

So lets talk about choosing cards, there are so many ones to choose. I think the best way to choose is to look at the deck and if you really like them and the images speak to you, go with that. I found it helps more to read cards when you connect with the images on the deck.

Ok, so there are many types of decks that have many different patterns? But yet, they are all the same basic type of cards?

Edit: I just noticed on the other thread that Stryper said the decks are all the same. Thanks Stryper...

• Like 1

Guest r3alchild

Not all card divination decks have the same number of cards, however the classical tarot has around 78 cards in its deck. It does not matter what deck of cards you get unless you want to learn the classic tarot then it matters.

But you can still read from other divination decks but they will all differ from meaning to style and the cards in there decks wont be based on the classical meanings of the tarot.

Because of the history of playing cards, the standard deck of 52 playing cards can be used in a similar way to tarot to tell fortunes. Just fyi, if you didn't have a tarot deck handy. (That link's just one way to go about it out of many).

Guest r3alchild

Now about some history of the tarot.

There are alot of myths and theories about the tarot, like if you read the letters T.A.R.O.T backwards it spells TORA-T like (Torah as in the law of the old testement) or gypsies brought them to europe, the oldest pack of tarot is from the 15 century. However the origins of the tarot remain a mystery. No one really knows who the original creator was or what the real purpose behind the cards were, was it just designed as a game of chance which later become a game of fortune telling? Does the tarot possess secret knowledge to unlock the meaning to our nature? No one really knows, but whatever or however the tarot has come to be its meaning will allways be shrouded in mystery.

Here are are some links to help you get started, ill add more here if necessary.

http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Tarot_History

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/brief_history_of_tarot.shtml

• Like 1

I like the imagery of the Voyager tarot. I haven't used it a lot, but did take a class from the designer of the deck.

I wonder if it's a possibility to talk about each card individually and  learn what that particular card means? I was never a card player so I don't understand much about cards? I really do want to take this up as a hobby. I think it would be fun.

• Like 1

Now about some history of the tarot.

There are alot of myths and theories about the tarot, but there true origins remain a mystery. No one really knows who the original creator was or what the real purpose behind the cards were, was it just used as a game of chance which become a game of fortune? Could it have been the other way around? One thing I learned about the tarot along time ago was if you read the letters T.A.R.O.T backwards it spells TORA or torah http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah as in the law of the old testement but that could just be a coincidence.

Here are are some links to help you get started, ill add more here if necessary.

http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Tarot_History

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/brief_history_of_tarot.shtml

I love the information! thanks chris! I see why you say the cards you chose must feel 'special' to you...the tarot reader.....

Quote: ''A tarot reader will usually only have one dedicated pack of cards that they become “linked” to. Only the tarot reader can connect with their pack and this enables them to make a reading. Anyone can buy a pack of tarot cards and many people throughout history have attempted to conduct tarot readings themselves. However, it is not just about the pack of cards but the gift that the tarot reader possesses, they must have extra sensory abilities and unique powers to connect with the past, present and future of the person having the reading.''

• Like 1

I just use the Magic 8 ball. It's never failed me.cool.png

• Like 1

Guest r3alchild

Before we talk about each card lets talk about how to conduct readings and how the tarot works. The tarot is made up of 78 cards, they are divided into 22 major 40 minor and 16 face cards. The major cards are cards that reflect significant life changes and lessons, the minor cards reflect less significant and mundane affairs and the face cards reflect the types of people you will meet and qualities you can possess.

Note: the face cards can be used to reflect the type of person from the 12 houses/signs of the zodiac.

When one sets up a reading it is good to find a quiet place for you and your client (The querent) you can have some calm music playing and some nice incense burning, some candles. The idea is for you and your client to to be in as a relaxed state as possible.

When you start the reading, ask the client "do you have a question" they will say yes or no, if not then the reading will be an open reading if they do then the reading will be closed reading and focused on that question.

Before you lay out the spread for the reading get the client to shuffle the cards thoroughly or you can shuffle and fan out the cards (face down) and let them pick each one or you can do both. If a card falls from the deck while the client is shuffling, read it, then put it back in the deck. If the reading is for someone else select a face card to represent the person in question and place that card underneath the main card.

When you place the cards in the spread don't read the reading if you get to many of the same suit or type (the cards are not shuffled enough) re shuffle. Also don't read the cards if you can't see anything, your intuition must flow naturally.

Notes:

The best way to learn the tarot is to practice on other people, read family and friends untill you get good at it.

Take good care of your tarot, wrap then in a silk cloth and put them in a small carry bag, when your cards get dirty clean them with a soft damp cloth (use only water on the cloth to clean your cards) after you use your cards for a while count them to make sure they are all there.

Here is a link to help you futher your study of the tarot. This is arthur waites guide to the tarot and is the best place to start.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/pkt/

• Super Moderator

It's just as accurate, but the cards are so much prettier.

I learned to use tarot from a couple of professionals who lecture, perform at parties and do private readings. A striking deck makes a great adjunct to cold reading. The client likes to have some physical connection to provide an avenue for the psychic to gain information and insight. Although it's not necessary for believable cold reading, props do help sell it so learning the cards, palms or tea leaves can't hurt. 

Of course there is no magic in the cards (or palm or tea leaves) but learning the technique does encourage one to make mental connections and consider avenues of discussion with the client. Tarot in particular aids one in organizing thoughts and remembering the points one wants to cover in a reading. Never give bad news or advice to a client as many take it seriously and may do something stupid like move, change jobs or get divorced if their "psychic" gives them indication to do so. The actual clues about a person come from what they say, their speech patterns, dress and hygiene. Good readers often do this subconsciously.

At psychic fairs, those who perform this as entertainment usually do better than those who believe they are genuine fortune tellers or psychics. I quit doing readings when people started basing decisions on what I said or what they thought I said. People do like to have their own ideas confirmed by someone else and therefore be absolved of responsibility.

Whether you believe it's real magic or not, it's a powerful tool that can harm others, so keep that in mind. It can also help you think through your own problems and see answers you hadn't considered. I believe the cards can help you access your subconscious and memory, so it can be a helpful tool in that way.

Guest r3alchild

First lets start by examining the 22 major arcana cards. (Also known as the trump cards)

The fool card numbered at 0 is a card that has no place within in the 22 trumps. This is because the fool represents the begining of any journey the querent is going to undertake. The fool is not anything but the raw intent to begin something (Shown as the dog nipping at the fools heels and the packed bindle)

Also you will notice in the card the fool is naively walking towards the end of the cliff. This means a total unawareness of what awaits him once the journey begins.

Once the journey of the fool has been taken it can't be undone.

At psychic fairs, those who perform this as entertainment usually do better than those who believe they are genuine fortune tellers or psychics. I quit doing readings when people started basing decisions on what I said or what they thought I said.

Just out of curiosity, were you able to get any feel for the percentage of those who realized they were entertainers vs. those who thought they were the real deal?

• Super Moderator

At psychic fairs, those who perform this as entertainment usually do better than those who believe they are genuine fortune tellers or psychics. I quit doing readings when people started basing decisions on what I said or what they thought I said.

Just out of curiosity, were you able to get any feel for the percentage of those who realized they were entertainers vs. those who thought they were the real deal?

Most working "psychics" are performing an act, whether on TV, in your parlor, or in a booth at a psychic fair, and they are quite aware of it and study their performance craft. Of course a really good psychic entertainer with no scruples (Uri Gellar or John Edward, for example) would pass as "genuine" (sincere is probably a better word) and no one would know unless another performer noticed him/her doing some of the standard subterfuge or mind reading lines or scripts they themselves were familiar with. Of course there are some who are naturally good at reading the clues that clients unwittingly expose to them and they might come to believe they have some special power - but it's really just keen observation and drawing logical conclusions and applying knowledge of previously played out similar scenarios. It's part learned skill and part natural talent.

So it's hard to say definitively, but I've been to fairs where I personally knew 3 out of 4 tarot performers, so in that instance, professional entertainers outnumber the sincere believers 3 to 1.

I actually read the cards... because, I'm not very good at lying  :(    Could be why I 'm not making a fortune (hahahaha) with it. I don't claim to be psychic though. Just spit out what the cards show.

I wonder how much of what I 'see' is intuition though?  However, I've met quite a few 'psychics' who were totally full of it, but it's hard to tell if they know it or are self-deluded.  hmmm...

No one has been able to read me yet...

• Super Moderator

I wonder how much of what I 'see' is intuition though?

As I said, the imagery of the cards and the stories you learn to go with them do, I believe, help one to access things you weren't consciously aware of. Call that intuition if you like.The cards can jog a memory or make a connection you hadn't considered before. Applying the reading to other people is still using those awakened thought processes, and of course, most people have the same problems, fears and worries so it's not too hard to actually read a situation in your own life and have it apply perfectly to someone else.

Another fun prop along the same lines is rune stones. There are still many people who have never seen them, though they are fairly common tools among those who have a mystical bent. Like the cards, each symbol has a meaning and story assigned to it and a random display makes for a story.

Guest r3alchild

The first card in the major arcana is the magician, unlike the fool the magician is a skilled alchemist and he knows his craft very well. The magician has the powers of the universe at his disposal (seen as the symbol of infinity ontop of his head)

The magicians wand represents the use of the raw energies of negative and postitive to command whatever he desires to create. As for what he desires to create he is only limited to create from the elements of

earth (body)

water (emotion)

air (mind)

fire (soul)

(these elements are shown as the instruments on the table as)

Pentacle (earth)

Cup (water)

Sword (air)

Staff (fire)

The magician brings the elements (the instruments on the table) into life (shown by the flowers growing before him ) by his will alone he is the logos and begining and end to everything he creates.

It's just as accurate, but the cards are so much prettier.

I learned to use tarot from a couple of professionals who lecture, perform at parties and do private readings. A striking deck makes a great adjunct to cold reading. The client likes to have some physical connection to provide an avenue for the psychic to gain information and insight. Although it's not necessary for believable cold reading, props do help sell it so learning the cards, palms or tea leaves can't hurt. 

Of course there is no magic in the cards (or palm or tea leaves) but learning the technique does encourage one to make mental connections and consider avenues of discussion with the client. Tarot in particular aids one in organizing thoughts and remembering the points one wants to cover in a reading. Never give bad news or advice to a client as many take it seriously and may do something stupid like move, change jobs or get divorced if their "psychic" gives them indication to do so. The actual clues about a person come from what they say, their speech patterns, dress and hygiene. Good readers often do this subconsciously.

At psychic fairs, those who perform this as entertainment usually do better than those who believe they are genuine fortune tellers or psychics. I quit doing readings when people started basing decisions on what I said or what they thought I said. People do like to have their own ideas confirmed by someone else and therefore be absolved of responsibility.

Whether you believe it's real magic or not, it's a powerful tool that can harm others, so keep that in mind. It can also help you think through your own problems and see answers you hadn't considered. I believe the cards can help you access your subconscious and memory, so it can be a helpful tool in that way.

Well said!  Yes.

Love the links on Tarot history! Card games have rippled all over the globe, and, if you like video games, you might be pleasantly surprised to learn that Nintendo (est. 1889 !) got its start as a manufacturer of Japanese cards (they still do).

For fortune telling, anything reasonably random-ish with some kind of attached meaning will do. Cowrie shells in a basket. I Ching online (clicky! but you could also throw coins, or get yourself a fifty stalk yarrow plant...). Something about cowrie shells seems to scream "I'm a medium of exchange!!" to people. I dunno, it's Just One of Those Things. Even if you don't believe in it, it's still useful sometimes, because it's easy to get in a rut in your thinking. I think about Tarot or other stuff like it as an "outside the box" opinion machine.