Goodbye Jesus

Tarot Discussions

Guest r3alchild

Guest r3alchild

The high priestess is the second card in the major arcana, this card is a card that has ancient religious symbology. The high priestess represents isis the egyptian goddess and to a lesser extent persephone and artemis the greek goddess, she is the high mother and the ruler of the hidden intuition in all of us (represented by her crown of isis and the crescent moon at her feet)

The high priestess is also the protector of secret knowledge that can only be pierced by our hidden intuition (shown by the covered scroll with the name torah on it) She sits outside the temple of solomon protecting her secret knowledge from the uninitiated. (shown by the two pillars and the vail behind her covering the entrance of the temple)

The two pillars are the pillars from solomons temple in the bible

2 Chronicles 3:17

He erected the pillars in the front of the temple, one to the south and one to the north. The one to the south he named Jakin and the one to the north Boaz.

The high priestess will only reveal her secret knowlede to the initiated, but to the uninitiated, she will allow them to fall into a deep delusion. The high priestess is the "truth" that people look for behind all religions.

Guest r3alchild

The third card of the major arcana is the empress. All of the symbols in this card represent mastery over nature (shown by the crown on her head and the sceptre in her hand) The empress is pure nature and pure feminine at the same time, she is the earth pregnant who gives life to all things and nurtures them unconditionally.

Bought my own deck because of this thread.

When I was facing a major decision as to whether or not to take a job - when I really needed the money - I pulled out my Golden Dawn tarot cards and did a reading.  I believe they aided me in making the right decision.

I don't know why, but I do think the cards can help.

What deck did you get.

I have the Wildwood deck and the Crowley Thoth deck...

Guest r3alchild

What deck did you get.

I have the Wildwood deck and the Crowley Thoth deck...

I had a look at the wild wood deck, interesting looking deck.

Heh, someone in my group of friends does readings and believes herself psychic. A lot of my other friends ooh and ahh over her "abilities" and tell her how well she reads them. I let her do a tarot/horoscope reading on me once, and almost none of it "fit" me or related to me or described my personality in any way. Of course the psychic had a whole list of excuses.

OTOH, while I think that making up stuff about other people is fun but not "real", it can be very interesting to gauge one's own reactions to the cards and their meanings. I'm put off by the magician, because I associate him strongly with an unstable ex-boyfriend. I'm attracted to the empress, but don't put much value on her attributes in my own life - and realizing that I'm attracted to a card has not given me any dipshit ideas that I personally want some of the things she represents (like fertility).

I like this deck, but only own Rider Waite. http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/cardsmain.php

This was a tarot journal I worked on: http://eponinetarot.diaryland.com/older.html

Guest r3alchild

Heh, someone in my group of friends does readings and believes herself psychic. A lot of my other friends ooh and ahh over her "abilities" and tell her how well she reads them. I let her do a tarot/horoscope reading on me once, and almost none of it "fit" me or related to me or described my personality in any way. Of course the psychic had a whole list of excuses.

OTOH, while I think that making up stuff about other people is fun but not "real", it can be very interesting to gauge one's own reactions to the cards and their meanings. I'm put off by the magician, because I associate him strongly with an unstable ex-boyfriend. I'm attracted to the empress, but don't put much value on her attributes in my own life - and realizing that I'm attracted to a card has not given me any dipshit ideas that I personally want some of the things she represents (like fertility).

I like this deck, but only own Rider Waite. http://www.shadowscapes.com/Tarot/cardsmain.php

This was a tarot journal I worked on: http://eponinetarot.diaryland.com/older.html

I have only had one reading go belly up, besides that reading for people you already know can be very hard.

Guest r3alchild

The emperor is the fourth card in the major arcana, he represents the masculine and is opposite to the emperess feminine. He is all earthly authority and power over the life the emperess creates (shown by the crown on his head and the ankh in his right hand) the emperor rules over all life on earth impartially (shown by the globe in his left hand) and is not swaded by emotion, he is the perfect father figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I've found the Tarot to be good when you need to shift your frame of mind, where you can more just flow with ideas.  Done well, it really does jolt you out of ruts, not so much if it's yourself. though.  I tend to use this while kicking myself into a slightly altered state of consciousness.  

I'll admit, most of the time when I end up doing readings, it's when I'm drunk.  Makes brutal honesty a bit easier to take in a lot of cases.

If you're doing readings for others, floriduh is right, it's as much reading the cards and the querent.

Techincal question for readers: do you use reversed readings?

Yeah I do use reverses.   Mainly because it adds a dimension to the reading.  I once did a reading where nearly every card came up reversed in a Celtic cross. 

In this case,  she was a very very introverted personality.   She was only doing it because I had done one for the rest of the group.   It was interesting because I watched her try to physically shrink as I started.  She did NOT want to be read.  She did not want people to know about her.   So I stopped the reading and moved on. 

Guest r3alchild

I read all the cards upright and only reverse a cards meaning when a upright negative card impacts a upright positive card.

Guest r3alchild

I wish to apologize for not keeping this thread updated with information regarding the tarot cards. Since I opened this thread my beliefs have shifted drastically and I no longer want to ground my beliefs about the world or myself on anything spiritual or subjective. I hope you will understand my regrettable decline from this thread.

I wish to apologize for not keeping this thread updated with information regarding the tarot cards. Since I opened this thread my beliefs have shifted drastically and I no longer want to ground my beliefs about the world or myself on anything spiritual or subjective. I hope you will understand my regrettable decline from this thread.

Moderation, my dear friend. Most of the posters above you dont get their beliefs from tarot cards, but still use them and find them useful. A path of all reason and facts is not a complete one.

Guest r3alchild

Moderation, my dear friend. Most of the posters above you dont get their beliefs from tarot cards, but still use them and find them useful. A path of all reason and facts is not a complete one.

Enough said.

Placing a casual relationship between Tarot cards and reality is silly.

I think the relationships between everything should be casual.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you mean "causal"? If you'd read the thread, you would have seen that no one has been advocating for being able to tell someone else's future or be able to affect events in a superhuman way - but if you'd done that you wouldn't have had the pleasure of taking a superior tone about the deluded Tarot readers.

Speaking for myself, but I know I'm not the only one here, I don't think there's any *mystical* or *spiritual* relationship between Tarot and reality (I'm completely materialist in fact). I don't think that if you get a certain combination of cards, it SHOWS YOU YOUR UNCHANGEABLE FATE! I'd put Tarot cards somewhere between a book and a personality test. They can be an aid to thinking about yourself and others in a creative and interactive way. If they reveal insights that you feel others aren't seeing, I see it as no different from having the realization that things are unfolding in a similar way to a historical situation that others are overlooking, or guessing how people with specific personality types are likely to react to situations.