Goodbye Jesus

Hawking On Big Bang, Multiverse And No God

ficino

A summary of a recent lecture by Stephen Hawking on the big bang, multiverse and no God:

http://news.yahoo.com/big-bang-didnt-god-stephen-hawking-says-180532701.html

I hadn't realized that Pope John Paul II had told scientists not to study the moment of creation, as it is holy.  ??!!

Goodbye Jesus

I've never really liked the name 'Big Bang.' It is misleading like 'the God particle.' I think the only way our universe could start would be with the help of another universe, which perhaps caused a bubble in our universe and that's where the big bang came from? Or some kind of super boson particle? It is still a universe that began from something, I have doubts magic had anything to do with it as the bible claims. 

If I recall correctly, the term "Big Bang" was actually originally used by the theory's detractors, but was taken up by its proponents later. The same thing happened with Impressionism and Cubism in art, since both of these movements/styles were named by their critics.

From Wikipedia:

After World War II, two distinct possibilities emerged. One was Fred Hoyle's steady state model, whereby new matter would be created as the Universe seemed to expand. In this model the Universe is roughly the same at any point in time.[55] The other was Lemaître's Big Bang theory, advocated and developed by George Gamow, who introduced big bang nucleosynthesis (BBN)[56] and whose associates, Ralph Alpher and Robert Herman, predicted the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB).[57]Ironically, it was Hoyle who coined the phrase that came to be applied to Lemaître's theory, referring to it as "this big bang idea" during a BBC Radio broadcast in March 1949.[58][notes 4]