Goodbye Jesus

Atheist Bashing

Guest r3alchild

Guest r3alchild

As some of you might know I am a member of carm (Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry) I signed up when I was a christian, but now I go there from time to time to talk and debate with christians.

What sparked this topic was a thread I came across at carm called "Is it possible for an atheist to forgive?"

I replied and said

"I can tell you that atheists forgive like the rest of you, but the only diffrence is they don't need god to tell them to do it."

On my return to the site I was confronted with a poster who left a comment about the topic, saying

"Sure, but not in any way comparable to those who have a scripturally-informed and spirit-informed awareness of their own sinfulness and depravity and and commensurate knowledge of God's offense... and His forgiveness through the cross and Christ's blood. That stuff is powerful stuff. Even in that context an intellectual understanding pales in comparison to an experiential one."

Then I replied to the topic

"I invite you all to come to www.ex-christian.net and view atheists up close and see if all your biblical ideas about them are in fact right."

Then this what was waiting for me on my return

"lol! First, I noted in my post that atheists must borrow from Christian capital. Why would I think that "ex"-Christians don't do that? Did you think for even a second before you posted that foolishness? An "ex"-Christian is, after all, an ex-"Christian". Whether they continue to worship God, or the Christian iteration, they have the model. When we see an entire generation raised without any knowledge of theism, especially Christianity, and see what that generation begets morally, socially, politically then you come in here and post a link. Second, many of us used to be ex-atheists. I am fully aware of what and how an atheist thinks and behaves. It isn't Christian. Now, an ex-Christian may be different, but that would likely be... a consequence of their being and ex-"Christian"! Third, I note an entire set of boards dedicated to "spirituality," to "Deism, Paganism, Wicca, Great Spirit, The Force, Buddhism." "That"would not be "atheist". The op specifies atheists, not theists of a different variety. Lastly, many an atheist has pointed out the need for the atheist community to develop a cohesive worldview that empowers consistent structures of benevolence for society. Sam Harris decried the lack of atheist involvement in the post-Katrina aid. No matter how destructive Christian history may be it is well-rivaled by atheist history on both a micro and macro scale. So, while I appreciate the effort (I do), I encourage you to face reality and get some integrity (I wonder if the paradox of your effort is understood). As I perused the "Testimonies" board I noted that no one was encouraging those in the midst of doubt to move"toward" faith, just the opposite direction. How nice of those posters. How gracious, how "forgiving", how encouraging. How exploitive. Is the latent anger in those replies recognized? It looks like they lost more than their faith when they lost their faith. As I said, have some integrity. By the evidence offered, chrisstavrous, your post stands condemned."

Then I replied one last thing

* Matthew 5:22

But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You*fool*!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

So does atheist bashing exist and do christians make it there goal to bash atheists.

Here is the link to the forum thread.

http://forums.carm.org/vbb/showthread.php?141224-Is-it-possible-for-an-atheist-to-forgive

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

So does atheist bashing exist and do christians make it there goal to bash atheists.

Do bears shit in the woods?

• Like 4

Guest r3alchild

Do bears shit in the woods?

touché

I dunno why you waste your time, bro.  They're not acquainted with their brains at all. 

It's only going to cause you frustration.

• Like 3

These are two questions wrapped up in one.  I will break them down and answer each one separately.

So does atheist bashing exist? 

Yes, of course.

Do Christians make it their goal to bash atheists?

Reading the question precisely the way it is worded, my answer is no.  The reason I say that is because, at least by my reading, the question includes all Christians.  Not all Christians make it their goal to bash atheists.  I have met Christians who are very kind, gentle, and understanding and do their best to bash no one, including atheists.  Let me add that I do not believe they are that way because they're Christians.  Rather, they are that way just because that is the way they are.  Of course, there are some Christians who undoubtedly do make it their goal to bash atheists.  But it is not all of them.

• Like 1

Guest r3alchild

I dunno why you waste your time, bro. They're not acquainted with their brains at all.

It's only going to cause you frustration.

Your too kind to say that, but I love a puzzle.

• Super Moderator

I really don't have a problem with people bashing groups or ideologies they vehemently disagree with. The problem with Christians (or other believers) bashing atheists is that they do not know what they are really bashing. They, for the most part, have no understanding of what an atheist is, why they exist, or how they conduct themselves in society.

Guest r3alchild

I really don't have a problem with people bashing groups or ideologies they vehemently disagree with. The problem with Christians (or other believers) bashing atheists is that they do not know what they are really bashing. They, for the most part, have no understanding of what an atheist is, why they exist, or how they conduct themselves in society.

When is bashing ever a good thing.

From what I read of his (their) responses, it sounded something like, "We are better than them, and we fully understand them, so we fully understand why we are better.  They lack the great things that we have."

They aren't trying to understand anything.  They are not considering a view other than their own. 

To even propose something as arrogant as "Is it possible for an atheist to forgive" is telling enough.  They might as well be talking about animals (although I'm sure some animals have the capability of forgiving as well), because they obviously don't think we have the same capacity to be as human as them.

• Like 2

Yup to the morontheists among the christians their "faith" is really irrelevant. They're not in it for the faith. They're in it for following the right (strongest) führer and thus being right and good by default.

I'll be fair and acklowledge that there are those among the christians who read the book and find a message that, in its entirety, says "love your neighbor" and "judge not". These have my respect even though I still reject (most of) their book. There are others however, as we all on this site know damn well, who are... oh well... see the start of this posting.

Want some fun?  Check out comments in the "Belief Blog" on CNN.com.  The amount of bashing is fairly even handed (both sides just don't give a fuck apparently) but I still find that the atheists tend to have the best arguments (when they aren't just bashing people as a knee jerk reaction)...

Of course, I (for some reason) feel that Christians should be held to higher standard in public discussions but I guess I'm just a "fool" (I must be, they keep quoting that damned verse over and over enough times!)...

Second, many of us used to be ex-atheists.

So if they were ex-atheists, logically they are now atheists.

Or, perhaps they are ex-ex-atheists?

Dumbasses.

Dumbasses.

LMAO! I didn't think about that until i actually read through their holier-than-thou tirade. Maybe it's a Freudian slip?

Guest Babylonian Dream

Dumbasses.

Some people aren't gifted with language nor logic. That's probably why they can't think enough to see through their own BS

I think this is exactly it. Given the number of times I've seen people totally shocked that I turned out to be an atheist, (and/or stuff said right to my face) I know bashing does go on, and it's against "atheists" as they're constructed as "whatever is our enemy." I'm thoroughly convinced that it's the consequences of definitions. Define Christianity as morality, and atheism as whatever the opposite of that is, and (even if it's not explicit) you're constructing, implicitly a monster to rage against. So, even where there's no outright bashing going on... there's this construction of an "atheism" that has nothing to do with belief or disbelief in god. As weird as that is, I think it's responsible for all the assumptions - oh, you don't believe in god so you must be a horrible person. So that, ultimately, atheist = horrible person, as far as they're concerned, and Christian = good people. It enforces belief, and creates a strawman of something that doesn't really exist. They're not capable of dealing with atheism as a philosophical stance, purely because having to deal with the statement "people who don't believe in god" without a moral component would involve actual intellectual argument... and we all know how well that usually goes.

Basically, either make a pastiche of atheism as decadent arrogant cannibals, or deal with the real definition, and then you have to wheel out the crocoduck arguments.