Goodbye Jesus

The Great Contradiction

Shia

I saw this quote on a christian friends FB page : "Fear is the opposite of love and the enemy of faith. #FearNot #HaveFaith #GodisLove"

Now, as many have seen. the above statement is a contradiction of itself because we are taught to fear god, fear the devil, fear science and fear anyone who is different.  so how is god love when we are supposed to fear him? fear not but be very afraid!! I could go on about this but I dont want to end up writing a book. when I saw this I saw so many things wrong with this sentence, I was raised in fear, fear of death, fear of living, fear of man, fear of prophecy, fear of the devil fear of the end times and revelation, fear of not going into heaven, fear of the rapture, fear of my own thoughts, fear of the lake of fire and judgement!  so how is god love and peace???

Guest Babylonian Dream

He's not the God of Love nor Peace. Behold, I have not come to bring peace but sword- Jesus, Gospel of Matthew.

As far as love is concerned, forever be burned in hell. Some love....

I saw this quote on a christian friends FB page : "Fear is the opposite of love and the enemy of faith. #FearNot #HaveFaith #GodisLove"

Now, as many have seen. the above statement is a contradiction of itself because we are taught to fear god, fear the devil, fear science and fear anyone who is different.  so how is god love when we are supposed to fear him? fear not but be very afraid!! I could go on about this but I dont want to end up writing a book. when I saw this I saw so many things wrong with this sentence, I was raised in fear, fear of death, fear of living, fear of man, fear of prophecy, fear of the devil fear of the end times and revelation, fear of not going into heaven, fear of the rapture, fear of my own thoughts, fear of the lake of fire and judgement!  so how is god love and peace???

You've just committed the sin of 'irrefutable logic'. LOL

Seriously, for them logical arguments like yours fly right over their heads. And, don't be surprised if they would hit you with something like

1. The word for 'fear' in original tongues was 'reverence' or

2. You're misinterpreting what the verse(s) means

3. You're taking the verse(s) out of context

4. You're just confused...

And then, once you've refuttal the 4 examples and others they'll say some rubbish about you finally seeing the truth 'once you're standing face to face' with their imaginary despot. But none of what I've posited here takes away from your premises which are right on the mark!

He's not the God of Love nor Peace. Behold, I have not come to bring peace but sword- Jesus, Gospel of Matthew.

As far as love is concerned, forever be burned in hell. Some love....

He was just exaggerating when he said that..

signed, he who is now pretending to be one of their apologists. LOL

Standard Sunday school answer: "Silly goose. It's a different kind of 'fear' It's one of reverence and not terror."

The distinction is invalid, of course. In reality, this is one of Christianity's classic double binds.

all of you are right! Its just another one of those christian mindsets I couldnt get through my head!!

Now my mom just came over to my house to pray for me, and said that my brother wants all of us to go out together next week...and i was thinking that i would actually fall down some stairs to avoid it. and then the thought that I would rather be in the hospital than be alone with them is just mind blowing!! eek.gif  I cant let go of the feeling like I am being set up for some kind of sick family talk that wont change anything but will certainly cause a lot of drama! Also my grandmother was sitting in the car( rather than come in my house) only to tell my bf that she wants to see me.. ( and the reason I dont care, is) not only the last time I saw her she attacked me with prayer, saying I was married to jesusjesus.gif and needed to go back to church, she also said flat out that she didnt care about how I feel ( when I respectfully told her that i didnt appreciate her oh so rudely interrupting me as I was saying something, she actually had the nerve to say she thought it was funny and for me to be upset "wasnt like me" Wendybanghead.gif . ), and has talked a whole lotta crap about me recently.vtffani.gif  needless to say, I try not to see my family much, but its kinda hard since they live less than 5 min away from me. a situation I am working on changing ASAP! ph34r.png any thoughts on how to deal?? 

We've had this kind of discussion before with others who've gone through the same or similar events that you've described and the answer always seems to be the same. It's a very hard choice but one that has to be made in order for you to maintain your mental wellness, even sanity. You've got to cut them off even if temporarily. They are in a cult and cultists behave a certain way. Brainwashing and guilt tripping are 2 of their many weapons. I've had to cut myself off in the past from relatives for different reasons other than religious in nature. It was gut wretching but once done, I can look back and see it was the right decision.

Unfortunately, my oldest son is going to have to make a similar decision regarding his 13 yr. old daughter who lives with the mother. The mother has used the kid as a weapon in the past and will try to continue doing so in order to destroy whatever my son has with his fiancee and her daughter. Just last weekend I told him 'You're gonna have to make some hard decisions but they must be made without any emotional nuances attached. They have to be made objectively with only one thing in mind - your future with your new family'. He agreed because he knew his kid's mother would always hold the kid over his head as a guilt trip. Your family is doing the indentical thing with their baby jesus myth. Hope this has helped.

• Like 1