Goodbye Jesus

Refutations To Anti-Vaccine Memes

SilentLoner

A FaceBook page I recently found that is both informative and amusing, thought I'd share:

https://www.facebook.com/RtAVM

562363_499911103412237_1573396938_n.jpg

67039_484043891665625_1701032280_n.jpg

44806_499071180162896_576974094_n.png

72836_499380330131981_54927531_n.png

• Like 2

Also:

30569_498297536906927_1370253170_n.jpg

528367_498134743589873_1987730259_n.png

540596_497784343624913_1617811687_n.png

30552_496929647043716_1394715760_n.png

Plenty more where these came from.

• Like 2

The antivaxxers are quite... morontheistic in their habits no? The same denial of reality and "belief armor" in general.

Or maybe we should call them authoritarian in their thinking. Doesn't matter whether the führer they bow to is religious or not.

Nice, SilentLoner! I like the pear one especially. Honestly, there's not a lot of clear thinking on the "natural" vs "chemical" front. On the one hand, distrust of drug companies and big business (with some grain of credibility). On the other - natural does not equal "safe" - chow down on that foxglove and nightshade salad if you want. It's "all natural," and it will kill you. Horribly. Also - Dihydrogen Monoxide. Heh heh.

But anti-vaccination is the worst. Then, you're not just hurting your kids, you're hurting public health. Keep your little plague-ridden spawn away from the rest of the kids. They make me absolutely furious.

• Super Moderator

"Don't Trust The Man" rules many lives in many ways, often to their detriment. We live in paranoid times.

Don't trust anyone... Especially those who have something to gain off your sickness. 

Vaccines aren't all good and they aren't all bad. 

I guess I don't trust that those pushing vaccines really care if they make us sick or not.  Call me crazy for thinking greed rules above integrity but that's what I see on a daily basis.  It may be different in your neck of the woods.

"Don't Trust The Man" rules many lives in many ways, often to their detriment. We live in paranoid times.

Says the guy who commonly says it's all about money when it comes to politics.

I guess you believe this to not be the same for the medical industry.

One of the things I always take into consideration is the research that goes into evolutionary biology to give us into vaccines. Also, lifespans have increased over time as we learn more about the genome and can stop a problem before it starts. I admit it has the potential to cause us to go overboard and unnecessarily vaccine for things that likely would not have been a threat but overall I think the benefits heavily outweigh the risks.

• Super Moderator

I prefer a common sense approach that employs education and logic. Automatically assuming everyone is against you and employing the knee-jerk isn't a good substitute for caution and thoughtful weighing of evidence. Regarding politics, I think the final results are in, but YMMV.

Regarding the medical industry, of course there are abuses and profit rules the drug companies. Still, investigation on a case-by-case basis is called for. It can't be denied that Americans are over-prescribed some very expensive drugs, but neither can it be denied that medical advances have made huge strides in improving quality of life and longevity. There simply is no causal link between vaccinations (which save millions of lives) and autism, hives, hangnails or baldness. Cancer cures aren't being withheld so Pfizer can make bigger profits. Acupuncture and ginger root doesn't replace Tamoxifen. Balance, Grasshopper!

I prefer a common sense approach that employs education and logic. Automatically assuming everyone is against you and employing the knee-jerk isn't a good substitute for caution and thoughtful weighing of evidence. Regarding politics, I think the final results are in, but YMMV.

Regarding the medical industry, of course there are abuses and profit rules the drug companies. Still, investigation on a case-by-case basis is called for. It can't be denied that Americans are over-prescribed some very expensive drugs, but neither can it be denied that medical advances have made huge strides in improving quality of life and longevity. There simply is no causal link between vaccinations (which save millions of lives) and autism, hives, hangnails or baldness. Cancer cures aren't being withheld so Pfizer can make bigger profits. Acupuncture and ginger root doesn't replace Tamoxifen. Balance, Grasshopper!

But how can you possibly know cancer cures aren't being suppressed?  I know for a fact that they are in favor of the more risky and costly chemotherapy.  I know this because I have a friend who was cured of cancer through natural means by a mutual friend of ours.  I know this is just another story on the interwebz but it is my personal experience.  IMO, natural remedies are out there but it's difficult to patent nature and sell it at massive profits.

Regarding the link between autism and vaccinations... It does appear autism is on the rise while the number of vaccines given to children is on the rise.  Yes, there are a lot of variables to consider but I do not believe it's rational to say there exists no link.

• Super Moderator

But how can you possibly know cancer cures aren't being suppressed?

How do you know they are?

Actually, the cure rate of most cancers has been dramatically improving for decades. Research does pay off in longer lives for millions of cancer victims. If cures are being suppressed, there are still a lot that break through and have success anyway.

But how does this suppressing of cancer cures work, anyway? Do all those researchers who have a spouse, child or parent suffering and dying with cancer just all agree, "Fuck 'em. Our loved ones may suffer and die but we can raise our bottom line if we just bury this cure. If I die young from curable cancer, at least I'll die rich." Doesn't make sense to me, but YMMV.

Also, when a spontaneous remission of a cancer (not all that uncommon) coincides with the use of herbs, acupuncture or crystals, the New Natural Miracle Cure is born - works like religious faith healers gaining reputation and buzz from coincidence (and outright fakery).

All it takes is one rogue scientist to blow the lid off the cancer suppression conspiracy and share the cure.  I don't know how anyone can believe there is this type of conspiracy with a straight face. 

• Like 1

Actually, the cure rate of most cancers has been dramatically improving for decades. Research does pay off in longer lives for millions of cancer victims. If cures are being suppressed, there are still a lot that break through and have success anyway.

But how does this suppressing of cancer cures work, anyway? Do all those researchers who have a spouse, child or parent suffering and dying with cancer just all agree, "Fuck 'em. Our loved ones may suffer and die but we can raise our bottom line if we just bury this cure. If I die young from curable cancer, at least I'll die rich." Doesn't make sense to me, but YMMV.

Also, when a spontaneous remission of a cancer (not all that uncommon) coincides with the use of herbs, acupuncture or crystals, the New Natural Miracle Cure is born - works like religious faith healers gaining reputation and buzz from coincidence (and outright fakery).

There are also always going to be people getting sick, even if they invent the cure it does not mean that there isn't any money to be made from it. A cure is not going to stop the disease from happening in the first place.

People are cured all the time outside of the common treatments pushed by the mainstream cancer treatment centers.  The problem is the failure of the medical establishment to get on board and use these treatments as well in their death camps.

It wasn't a spontaneous remission of cancer that cured my friend. 

There are also always going to be people getting sick, even if they invent the cure it does not mean that there isn't any money to be made from it. A cure is not going to stop the disease from happening in the first place.

As long as I continue with our western diets and culture, cancer will always exist withing our society.  

Cancer is the a result of a lack of energy, ultimately.  Our nutrition plays a key role in that.

People are cured all the time outside of the common treatments pushed by the mainstream cancer treatment centers.  The problem is the failure of the medical establishment to get on board and use these treatments as well in their death camps.

Citations for this claim please. 

I don't have any specific citations.  I just know it to be true. 

• Super Moderator

The problem is the failure of the medical establishment to get on board and use these treatments as well in their death camps.

Damn. Not even in quotes.

Cancer is the a result of a lack of energy, ultimately.  Our nutrition plays a key role in that.

Cancer is not one disease. There are more than 200 types of cancer. All behave differently. There are also many different causes encompassing genetic predisposition, environmental factors, and compromised immune systems. Attributing cancer of any type to "lack of energy" is akin to saying that planetary alignment or witches cause disease. A little paranoia keeps one on his toes, but you can't let it rule your life.

I love the memes. Now if only anti-vacciners were amenable to reality. Wendytwitch.gif  Unfortunately their minds "work" about the same as creationists. Parnoid, delusional, arrogant, closed, not amenable to reason or evidence..... Believe me, I've tried, and i really DO know what i talking about in  this realm. It's my home turf.

Oh and for the hell of it: To the oddly paranoid potster who asked, "How can we know for sure ‘they’ aren’t suppressing cures for cancer?”  One way you can know for sure is by becoming a cancer researcher.  Then you’d know WTF is going on and what you’re talking about. You’d be able to knowledgably investigate any element of the field. I took that route.  [Of course this probably disqualifies me in your mind, as I’m now part of the enemy camp.]

Have I ever told you about my friend, Jesus?

That's not the best way to interpret reality as I'm sure you know.  Without data how can you possibly know it to be true?

"I don't have any specific citations. I just know it to be true."

Kind of like Mormons have a burning in the bosom?

Like religious folks just know there's is the true way?

Like creationists know dinosaurs were around with human?

Who the hell needs evidence?

That's not the best way to interpret reality as I'm sure you know.  Without data how can you possibly know it to be true?

Like I said, I have personal experience.  I know that's not enough for you and I wouldn't expect it to be.  Flame away.

"I don't have any specific citations. I just know it to be true."

Kind of like Mormons have a burning in the bosom?

Like religious folks just know there's is the true way?

Like creationists know dinosaurs were around with human?

Who the hell needs evidence?

Like I said, I have personal experience.  I know that's not enough for you and I wouldn't expect it to be.  Flame away.

In my opinion, my experiences count to me as evidence. 

I have no desire to flame you.  You're cool in my book.  Just a bit misguided on evidential necessity IMO.   Personal experience is a fraught with all kinds of problems that have nothing to do with personal honesty.  Our perceptions are flawed, which is why we need relatively large amounts of data to determine what's really going on. 

• Like 1

I have no desire to flame you.  You're cool in my book.  Just a bit misguided on evidential necessity IMO.   Personal experience is a fraught with all kinds of problems that have nothing to do with personal honesty.  Our perceptions are flawed, which is why we need relatively large amounts of data to determine what's really going on. 

I can see that side of things with regards to personal experience.  The problem with this is, researching data falls under "personal experience" as well.

It turns into a endless labyrinth of false reality where one can arrive to no conclusions.  My conclusion is that the best way to cure cancer is to not get it.  The preventatives are generally the best approach when it comes to disease.