Why Are Christians So Mean!

Guest r3alchild

Guest r3alchild

Why don't christians love when they say jesus loves,

Why don't christians forgive when they say jesus forgives,

Why don't christians care when they say jesus cares,

Why don't christians listen when they say jesus listens,

Why don't christians do all the things they say jesus says,

And why are christians so mean when they say jesus was never mean.

Because they aren't True Christians ™

hahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry, couldn't resist. If you really look at the doctrines it's carte blanche for being an asshole. oooo... but I'm 'forgiven!"

• Like 3

They only appear to be meaner than non-Christians because

• their religion makes them passive aggressive--declaring a manifesto of love, while inwardly judging others and harboring fear/hate of those who are different, and
  • their supposed leader, Jesus, was kinda cool (although most likely mythical) and we expect people to behave like the one they supposedly follow.
  • Like 2

Because they aren't True Christians ™

hahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry, couldn't resist. If you really look at the doctrines it's carte blanche for being an asshole. oooo... but I'm 'forgiven!"

Indeed it is, Ravenstar. Think about it, xtians tend to be raised with a huge sense of entitlement. Throw in the fact that their own ideology teaches them that ignorance is bliss, and that they're better than everyone else, and you've got a recipe for your basic run of the mill xtian asshole. Xtianity claims they're the final authority on morality and charity, and they act like it when in reality they're neither of these things.

Also with xtianity (and really, this could be any other religion too), personal responsibility and accountability for one's actions go out the window under the excuse of forgiveness. "Our fictional friend knows what's in our hearts, so we can be as nasty and vicious toward others as we want. Our fictional friend will forgive us, and the other person HAS to forgive us, our buybull SAYS SO." Even little kids know better than this, so there's absolutely no excuse for treating others like shit and expecting everything to be hunky dory. Forgiveness is a decent concept that xtians appropriated and turned into another tool in their arsenal to abuse others in the name of their beloved fictional friend. They don't care, because for them, it's me, me, me, me, me.

Xtians are all talk and very little, if any action. They may be no worse than anyone else, but the fact that they use their religion as their green light to do as they damn well please makes them worse than the average asshole. They've put themselves on a pedestal by promoting themselves as better than everyone else because of their religion in terms of morality, and as such, they're gonna be held to the standard that pedestal requires.

• Like 2

Why are Christians so mean? Probably because they are scared shitless. Their bible assures them they will go to hell if they fail to please God, but then their sacred text fails to give them precise instructions on what they must do to please this angry vengeful Deity. And the information it does provide is filled with inconsistencies and contradictions. They are left with no assurance of anything except the likihood they can't possibly do enough good works to escape eternal damnation.

These verses provide hope......

Ephesians 2: 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

But these not so much......

Matthew 7

:

22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

So is salvation obtained by faith or works? I never found an answer to that question. And if by works then what kind of works and how many works are required??????

Cos they're dicks.

• Like 1

Cos they're dicks.

Very succinct way of putting it. :D

• Like 1

Because they say they follow jesus, but they actually follow paul, who was a complete asshole. Anyone who could just stand there watching christians murdered before his eyes is a prick. He never changed.

The christians who are mean are mean because they are just mean people, and their religion gives them more of an excuse to be mean. The christians who arent mean are just naturally kind people.

• Like 5

Depression turned outward.   Some of us did a real good job at turning it inward.  I beat the shit out of myself mentally while I was a christian. 

Or:

Could it be that at least some of them are atheists who can't admit it, and the anger and the antics are an attempt to convince themselves that there is a god?  

You would think that somewhere deep in their minds they know that their prayers are not answered and that their lives are of no better quality, or maybe even worse, than their heathen neighbors.  They are probably secretly jealous of their heathen neighbors that are free to live their lives.   The breakthrough and revival that they are always promised just around the corner, never materializes.   For how many years have they been told to not bother buying green bananas because jebus is coming back any second now?

• Like 1

Guest r3alchild

Christians are mean because they are just human (no supernatural being lives inside them).

Yes people can be mean but no, christians are more mean on average.

Guest r3alchild

I think that alot of christians deep down hate the whole forced love crap and they just want out, but they are so afraid of pissing god off and going to hell, so they end up hanging onto there faith with a divided heart.

• Like 1

Some of them are mean, some aren't. I worked with a guy yesterday who is very quiet about his Christian beliefs, and is a very kind guy and ethical worker. Most of the believers I knew were mostly good folks.

But there are some who are manipulative controlling jerks, and use the Bible as a way to justify judging others, and getting what they want out of people. These ones always see themselves as the "lambs" on the right-hand side of the judgment, and thus feel like their behavior is blessed by their invisible buddy. Their beliefs act as an amplifier for their inner fears, lusts, anger, depression, etc. Lots of messed-up people in the church (lots of whom went there trying to find a solution/absolution to their issues).

Someone posted a picture of several outspoken anti-gay ministers who turned out to be having homosexual affairs. Remember when we were believers caught in the struggle against our own humanness (which we saw as the devil and demons trying to lure us away)? This can lead some to act out more dramatically so they see themselves as being on the side of Jesus, when they know damn well that they are as human as those they condemn.

• Like 1

There are nice Christians and mean ones. I can just go by my experiences with bosses - most of whom were Christian. Some treated me decently and some didn't. They would all say they were Christian, and in one case, Jewish.

It seems very strange to me that someone who is a practicing Jew - a religion that I assumed was ethical- would be rock bottom on their treatment of their employees. My head is still spinning over that experience.

I really don't think Christianity means a whole lot in people's lives, even professing Christians. They are like everyone else.

Having said that, I think the Christians who are good are so in spite of their religion, not because of it. Many, of course are content with only a superficial understanding of Christianity, such as "God is love" and leave it at that.

I agree with you, Deva. I also think that most Xtians don't think deeply enough to question their

faith-at least not seriously. These issues run so deep, involving as they do the very reason for our

being, that it is a lot easier to let others (the clergy) do the thinking on these matters, particularly since the Xtian answer is so easy: believe in Jesus. A professor told the class when I was in college

that thinking is hard work. This was in the context of teaching us that you must, as a lawyer, get to

your point before the jury makes up its mind. But it applies to this issue as well. It isn't that people can't think seriously about these matters. It's just that they are too lazy and they like the easy answer their pastor gives them. bill

The term 'grace through faith' is self-contradictory. This is very obvious, and was the cause of a lot of my cognitive dissonance as a christian.

Is that all Xians? Or just the fundamentalists? I don't know any liberal Xians well.

I think even the fundies, not including James Dobson, Pat Robertson and their ilk, are mostly good people. But as others here have said, they can be jerks because they believe that they have the one and only truth, which is true no matter what you believe. That's why the whole world should follow their moral code. Also, in their book they are saints and God's descendants, which makes them holy royalty.

• Like 1

I agree with you, Deva. I also think that most Xtians don't think deeply enough to question their

faith-at least not seriously. These issues run so deep, involving as they do the very reason for our

being, that it is a lot easier to let others (the clergy) do the thinking on these matters, particularly since the Xtian answer is so easy: believe in Jesus. A professor told the class when I was in college

that thinking is hard work. This was in the context of teaching us that you must, as a lawyer, get to

your point before the jury makes up its mind. But it applies to this issue as well. It isn't that people can't think seriously about these matters. It's just that they are too lazy and they like the easy answer their pastor gives them. bill

That's true, Bill.  Thinking is hard work.  Interesting that you bring up a legal example.  Being in that field, I wonder if it has helped me to really, seriously, go about thinking.  From what I have seen, Christians are not even willing to seriously look at the other side.  They have a distorted view once they decide that the only thing that is true is what is in the Bible.  Then they don't want to look at any other information that might contradict the Bible or result in cognitive dissonance.  They simply do not want to see it.  I call it "putting on the Bible blinders."  Its another version of "I don't want to face reality as it is, I only want to see it through the Bible."  It is a form of intellectual suicide.

I was one of the mean ones.  It wasn't just relative meanness (as Positivist observes), it was pure meanness, spite, hate.  It's because I wasn't accountable.  Scared, yes, and probably most of the other reasons you've all said.  It was a kind of meanness I hadn't exhibited until becoming a christian, something worse than I was before; the empathy center of my brain was in disconnect.  It was like a demon was let loose who thrives off of a fundamentalist christian environment.  It's part of the package like a marshmallow in the sugar-coated cereal.

Honestly though, I think it's bigger than just christianity.  It's a thing that would be part of any fear-based religion.  It's not universal either.  Not everyone gets it.  Some are pre-disposed, up-bringings I'm sure.

• Like 2

When I was a Xtian it would scare me if I heard or read of an attack on the faith. I really was afraid of finding out something that would refute the faith or put it is seriously doubt. Like some Xtians I know today I thought god would punish me, or even condemn me, if I allowed myself to listen to anti-Xtian

arguments or think ant Xtian thoughts. Finally, it occurred to my thick head how utterly ridiculous

that would be, for god to want us not to think about these things with the very brain he gave us. bill

Because they get there morals from god/bible.