Goodbye Jesus

Why Are Christians So Mean!

Guest r3alchild

I think there are probably a lot of different possible reasons for why some Christians are mean. One possible reason is some of them were probably mean before they became Christians and just stayed mean. Some that became mean after only are/were when their beliefs were challenged and the fear of the possibility that the other person's points might be valid scares them and they feel cornered, reacting like a cornered, wild animal. Of course, another reason that seems to be a big one, they start out as nice people, but then are so influenced by their religion that they become mean.

There is another reason that doesn't appear to be as common as the three possible reasons I mentioned above, which is one that seemed to be why I was mean when I was a Christian. I was a nice person before I became a Christian, but something in my life completely unrelated to religion after I was already a Christian turned me into a mean person. Christianity didn't do a thing to prevent this transition into the mean person I became and once I became a hateful person, my hatred kind of latched on to the religion and I became a very disturbed Christian with a Westboro Baptist Church member type of attitude, hating everyone who sinned against my god and didn't care. I also hated the members of the the Westboro Baptist Church and myself for being hateful in the first place. Since my terrible attitude and my religion were mixed together so well, once the religion was gone, most of the hatred was gone too, leaving only a little bit of that hatred behind.

• Like 1

I find many "mean" christians and many "good" christians. But the only difference is that they good christians seem to have so much guilt inside them, like they really believe they are horrible, inhumane people without god. Like anything good they do, it's because god had mercy on them so they force so much "goodness" out there.

From experience I think that Christians are mean because they believe that because they are "forgiven." This gives them carte blanche to be the most unbelievable arseholes as they know that gawd has already forgiven them. Also, they believe that you have to forgive them. Also, they tend to be very controlling and use the bible to force people to behave in ways that incompatible with their personalities, such as forcing introverted people out to publicly evangelise. If you refuse to do this, then you "do not love the lord" as it is commanded somewhere in the bible.

They are also some of the worst gossips on earth. Almost every "prayer and intercession meeting" was just a cover for sitting and gossiping about the misfortunes of others. So any illness, work or relationship problem was discussed in public. bah! 

• Like 1

From experience I think that Christians are mean because they believe that because they are "forgiven." This gives them carte blanche to be the most unbelievable arseholes as they know that gawd has already forgiven them. Also, they believe that you have to forgive them. Also, they tend to be very controlling and use the bible to force people to behave in ways that incompatible with their personalities, such as forcing introverted people out to publicly evangelise. If you refuse to do this, then you "do not love the lord" as it is commanded somewhere in the bible.

They are also some of the worst gossips on earth. Almost every "prayer and intercession meeting" was just a cover for sitting and gossiping about the misfortunes of others. So any illness, work or relationship problem was discussed in public. bah! 

When I was still a Christian, one of the pastors used an analogy once that was meant to explain why repentance from sin was important and possibly could also have taken away the ability for people to use "I am forgiven" as an excuse to be an "arsehole" as you put it. The analogy was that sinning over and over and just saying "Forgive me." but then doing the same sin afterwards using "I am forgiven" as an excuse to keep doing it is like punching someone they care about over and over saying "Forgive me!" after each swing.

If Christians are supposed to love others, including those that reject their beliefs, but instead some use "I am forgiven" as an excuse to mistreat others, then the analogy I mentioned accurately describes what they are doing, but it doesn't accurately describe the whole situation. If Bible god is real, then these Christians who use their belief that they are already forgiven as an excuse to go on mistreating others are basically spitting in the face of a sadistic tyrant and the faces of people they do not like, saying, "I am forgiven so I am allowed to do this!" in which case, those Christians would likely end up burning in Hell directly beside some of the other people they are mistreating.

The christians who are mean are mean because they are just mean people, and their religion gives them more of an excuse to be mean. The christians who arent mean are just naturally kind people.

I tend to agree with this. Many of the Christians I know are real assholes. I have two Christian uncles who are both mean mother fuckers. They were before they were Christians and they still are today. The only real differences are that they don't drink or do drugs today (religion is their new drug) and now they invoke the word of God when they put you in your place.

Christianity doesn't really make people any friendlier. Most friendly Christians were that way before getting "saved." I have noticed, however, that certain theologies can make a person more unfriendly than if they'd never become a Christian in the first place.

• Like 1