Think Big! If You're Not Watching This, You Should Be.

ContraBardus

Made a post in another thread that made me think of this. It's a channel on youtube. It's not particularly funny, nor is it likely to produce any memes.

No, but it's pure awesome. Great minds discussing fascinating topics in videos of varying lengths. Most of them are only a few minutes, but a few are pretty long.

That's right, if you're watching this you're watching youtube and -not actually wasting time-. No cats, no two hundred pages of American Idol contestants, no idiots with swimming pools and explosives, no Animations debasing Despot rulers or inside jokes about video games or movies.

If you've not seen it before, get ye some snacks, something to drink, and prepare to spend the next day or so undoing some of the damage vegging out in front of the computer screen watching midget furries dressed up like presidential candidates dueling it out with food coloring dyed water soaked nerf darts has done to your brain.

See, awesome. There's lots more.

These aren't particular favorites of mine, I tried to give it a little bit of variety to show what it is, but feel free to post any of these you find particularly relevant or interesting below.

Oh, also, this should be required reading for every highschool freshman in the U.S. from now on. It's -important-.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

• Like 6

Big fan of those videos! When I feel burdened by the idiocy of pop media a la Jersey Shore, Buckwild et. al. permeating the air waves, a healthy dose of Big Think helps keep me centered. Sharpens the brain. I only wish Terence McKenna, Carl Sagan and a few other brilliant minds who have left us were still around to contribute to it! :)

Thanks for the great thread.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

subscribed to big think long ago. last week they had a couple of vids of NDT both awesome

Christians may want to come up with an alternative series called "Think Small" and video some well known apologists using ass backward logic and ill-conceived reasoning to counter this series. lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Giving my opinion of the "front four and their discussions.

Niels Tyson:

prefers to be called an Agnostic.  I think he is a cool guy. Doesn't want to upset any sector of science or mainstream popular views, looking toward maybe the highest popularity in the science sector. What he said makes general sence but I view his talk as somewhat of a copout in that he probably would give good odds in favor of atheism. If there were a god I would expect he would not favor a personal god.  I have never heard his discussing any ideas other than mainstream science, no hint of any questioning of present theories, or of the many problems thereof.

Machio Kaku,

He is also cool enough. But from all that I have ever heard from him he stretches the bounds of accepted theory and ventures into string theory, and beyond into other non-mainstream science, which be itself I do not think is a problem. But most, including myself believe that most of what he says has little or no evidentiary support. Although his ideas may be interesting, my expectation is that nearly all of his ideas are wrong and that none of it will ever become consensus theory.

Bill Nye,

Although little or anything he said was of little sophistication scientifically, I would bet my life against a good quality six pack, concerning almost everything he did say was corrct  :)

Penn Gillette,

was the most interesting speaker for me:  I think his explanation is the best explanation for almost everybody concerning why one should not believe in the bible, or the god of the bible. The correct explanation in his opinion, and mine, and nearly everybody who has the the bible word for word in modern times, when they were impressionabe, is that it does not only not make any sense, but parts of it are completely ridiculous concerning modern day knowledge. Genesis and Revelations are maybe the most obviously ridiculous books of the Christian bible. The Buddhist faith deals much more into philosophy, for example, so as a philosophy it can stand on its own without contradiction. As a religious however it too fails as do all other religions in the world based upon strict translations of their texts.

Anyone that wants to believe in religion can always find believable scriptures and interpretations, but not concerning any totality of complete texts. It is obvious that all scriptures were written based upon the accepted knowledge of their own times.

Although I think most religions of today are almost entirely BS concerning their teachings, I'm sorry to say that I also think that goes for most of modern physics and cosmology for the last century, for reasons that there are too many contradictions and ad hoc hypothesis required.  I expect most of modern physics and cosmology for the past 100 years, will be replaced almost in their entirety, almost certainly within 50 years. Many math formulations of today may remain, but the basis for some of their mathematical successes, predictions, and possible validity,  will be re-evaluated and later explained via new theory -- in my opinion.

I really enjoy Penn and I have to say his way of communicating really resonates with me on a very personal level. I like how in many videos and in his books he really comes off as a "regular guy" kind of atheist. I think more people would benefit from listening to or reading the first chapter or so of his book "God No" where he explains how you do not need to be a genius to be an atheist, you only have to say "I don't know." Additionally, I too had to spend some time reading stories in the bible other than the moderate, "feel good" stories of the bible for the masses to really understand how evil and irrelevant a book it is.