Goodbye Jesus

Your Favourite "christians"

Guest ThereIsNoGod

Guest ThereIsNoGod
Who are some people who you feel have used their association with the christian faith to achieve something more positive than the average christian?

I guess there are a few people that I know personally who I believe have used christianity in a good way and I could even include myself as someone who I think has, but here are some examples of famous people who I think have:-

Peter Garrett (ex-singer of Australian rock icons Midnight Oil, now a Labour MP in the Aus. government. For the record, is a supporter of gay marriage and is (reservedly) pro-choice)

Bruce Cockburn (Canadian folk-rock musician, known for his status as a "Christian Leftist")

Martin Luther King

Desmond Tutu (South African bishop who fought Apartheid)

Tony Campolo (A fairly left-wing US evangelist, who is probably most famous for his statement (a rough paraphrasing) "Most of you don't give a shit about the people who are dying. In fact most of you care more about the fact that I said "shit").

Evander Holyfield (I think Evander used the christian faith to give him a kind a coolness & humility that is pretty rare in boxing. He wasn't boastful and a trash-talker like a lot of them are)

George Foreman (Became a preacher after retiring in 1977 then returned to the ring in 1987. Used boxing and religion to give entertaining and inspirational speeches)

Johnny Cash

Richard Penniman (Rock 'n Roll pioneer Little Richard. Switched back and forth between preaching and rock 'n roll through his career)

Paul Heaton (Singer of short-lived UK post-punk group The Housemartins. They were famous for combining Jesus and liberal politics. Heaton is in fact an atheist)

Jimmy Carter (Democrat. US Pres., late '70s and remained politically active)

Noel Paul Stookey of the folk trio "Peter, Paul and Mary".  Unfortunately no longer a trio because Mary died a few years ago.

Cornel West and Al Sharpton are both fun to listen too. They don't necessarily make a lot of sense, and I don't agree with a lot of their politics, but they are entertaining speakers at the least.

Fred Rogers. By all accounts the man was the genuine article. If all Christians were like him I'd probably still be one in spite of all the mythical bullshit. Well, maybe not. But I'd sure as hell have way more respect and admiration for them.

Mother Teresa

Hitch may not agree with you on that one:

• Like 4

David Hayward, AKA "The Naked Pastor." He's not ex-Christian, but he's more or less ex-church. He seems to honestly "get" where atheists are coming from. He's really big on openly questioning religion. He also seems like he'd be a really cool guy to have a pint with.

Tony Campolo (A fairly left-wing US evangelist, who is probably most famous for his statement (a rough paraphrasing) "Most of you don't give a shit about the people who are dying. In fact most of you care more about the fact that I said "shit").

If Tony Campolo is actually genuine, then he's pretty cool. I've seen him speak in person, and, looking back, some of his stories seem... embellished, and I now wonder how much truth is in them.

my BIL  Bob Rhodes. 

• Like 1

my BIL  Bob Rhodes. 

Based on that interview, I'd have to agree.

Benny Hinn. I think he's downright hilarious. 

In all seriousness though, I'd have to say...Desmond Tutu and MLK

Benny Hinn. I think he's downright hilarious.

Damn straight.

I like this benny hinn better. 

• Like 1

I second Fred Rogers.. like for real

Guest ThereIsNoGod

Honestly I knew NOTHING of Mother Teresa when I included her name except that that she is used as a prime example of saintliness. I'll probably delete her name as soon as I have read more about her and discovered that she is yet another giant fraud :)

As for Tony Campolo, yeah I'm sure he makes shit up. I do like that one quote he is famous for though :)

My late grandfather.  Over 1000 people showed up at his funeral and dozens of people got up and shared some way he had helped them or others out financially or otherwise and no one knew about it until his funeral because he kept it all to himself.  He was absolutely a fundy, but a kind, and loving man who didn't let his beliefs detract from who he really was.