Goodbye Jesus

Deathbed Singers. Good Idea Or Bad Idea?

hereticzero

• Super Moderator

No. I mean hell no.

• Super Moderator

Four to six singers will go to a bedside, and they pick songs based upon what a patient or the patient's family wants. The tunes can be slow or upbeat, and emotional or lighthearted, like "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," though most are original.

Oh hell.  I can see it now.  All our xtian relatives will be requesting Amazing Grace while we're wanting to hear insert your favorite song.    I really don't wanna go out angry, but if I had to hear Amazing Wretch on my deathbed ---  firedevil.gif firedevil.gif  firedevil.gif 

This instead, please:

• Like 1

This could become a form of abuse as much as comfort someone.  

Some people would welcome it, but I would sign a form that says hell no to singing if I'm on the way out on some bed.

Swear to the FSM if anybody does this shit to me I WILL come back and haunt your ass until you go mad and hang yourself

At least in my case, as long as it's just my wife's side of the family and my younger kids, it will be all classic rock and blues. (Along with a few bottles being passed around maybe more.) Of my three older kids, two of them might be stupid enough to want something "churchy" but one would be right there with Southern Rock, some Outlaw Country and a bottle or two. (Our families are almost entirely Scots-Irish and Swede.)

So I wouldn't complain about that.

As for most poor bastards, yeah, coming back and haunting the pricks that made you suffer listening to "uplifting spiritual" music is a good idea. :)

"Imagine" by John Lennon would be nice. Just no religious music.

For me Sinatra doing "The Best is Yet to Come" would be cool. Actually, it's cool anytime.

I know a woman who is a music thanatologist, she plays harp and sings at the bedside of the dying. She's not a christian, just doing what she can to make them comfortable. Some people are genuinely scared of dying, so she helps with soothing sounds. Damn nice voice and good looking also.

Not only am I dying but now I've got to fish around my hospital gown for a freaking tip?  (Won't they be in for a surprise.)

mwc

This is a beautiful idea (and not really a new one... we have pretty much known for a long time that hearing is the last sense to go, and playing comforting music with or without words is a common practice in the hospice).   I agree it has a huge potential for abuse.   The singers need to be respectful of who the person was.