Goodbye Jesus

The "god Can Do Anything" Argument

Guest r3alchild

Guest r3alchild

Have you ever asked a christian how the impossible things in the bible can happen, only to get the "god can do anything" reply. What do you say to that argument, how do you follow up with an answer to counter it.

I think the best response is something along the lines of, 'tell that to the millions of impoverished children in the world' or 'tell that to cancer victims', 'tell that to rape victims' etc. Then watch them squirm and say something about 'punishment for sin'. Then ask them why God punishes these people for their sins but not the rich and famous.

That's what I would do anyway, although I am probably patronising you, you almost certainly already do that!

• Like 1

If God can do anything (which I think means all things) but does not do something, then that is a choice he made.  Therefore, he chooses to allow children to starve in Africa.

• Like 3

Guest r3alchild

I think the best response is something along the lines of, 'tell that to the millions of impoverished children in the world' or 'tell that to cancer victims', 'tell that to rape victims' etc. Then watch them squirm and say something about 'punishment for sin'. Then ask them why God punishes these people for their sins but not the rich and famous.

That's what I would do anyway, although I am probably patronising you, you almost certainly already do that!

Tried that, works for a bit then their lights go out soon after.

• Super Moderator

If God CAN do anything, why does he do NOTHING while so many of his creatures are suffering? If he can but he won't, then he's a dick.

Have you ever asked a christian how the impossible things in the bible can happen, only to get the "god can do anything" reply. What do you say to that argument, how do you follow up with an answer to counter it.

Can "god" break his own rules?  If so then why bother with "jesus" and "hell" and just simply forgive everyone outright.  If not, then "god" can't do anything.

mwc

• Like 1

Mystic religions emphasize seeking God within. It is about seeking the deeper meaning of life and self.  I am reading Beyond Belief, The Secret Gospel of Thomas by Elaine Pagels. The Gnostic version of Christianity was very different from orthodoxy, the version that ultimately survived.

I have no issues with a religion that seeks God, or a deeper understanding of life/creation, from within. That approach to God was poplar for some segments of ancient cultures. It’s a benign spirituality that excludes the concepts of sin & punishment which is the backbone of any form of an orthodox religion (one that emphasizes allegiance to a sacred text that supposedly was supernaturally revealed to some prophet of God).

Once obedience to various laws, rules, commands, etc enters the picture, along with the threat of eternal punishment for disobedience or lack of faith, it becomes essentially a religious cult. God, by necessity, in this type of religion must be accepted as an all powerful, all knowing, supernatural anthropomorphic life form. The similarities between this type of God and Santa Claus are too obvious to dismiss as pure coincidence. And the proof for the actual existence of either of them is the same. There isn’t any. One is a child’s fairy tale and the other one is an adult fairy tale, and they were both created by humans.

• Like 1

No matter what you do, their lights are likely to go out. It's a programmed response to a challenge that actually threatens the belief system. Shutting off input, before damage is done.

If God can do anything (which I think means all things) but does not do something, then that is a choice he made.  Therefore, he chooses to allow children to starve in Africa.

And then they just say, "God works in mysterious ways. It's all part of his plan."

this is the most basic reply and one that I love "The LORD was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had chariots fitted with iron." Judges 1:19 as long as you got Iron you can kick gods ass lol

• Like 1

Everything will all be made right in the end. The good, bible believing Christians will go to heaven and everyone else will receive the just punishment of hell.

There will be no more crying or pain in heaven.

For people who have never heard the gospel, they would always quote Romans 1:20 which states that God is on everyone's hearts and no one was without excuse.

And then they just say, "God works in mysterious ways. It's all part of his plan."

Yeah, most Christians "believe that God can do anything." When they pray for something minor or inconsequential, and due to random circumstances, it happens, they take it as proof that God answers prayers. I once heard an example of a woman praying that a parking spot would open up at Wal-Mart, and when it did, she took it as proof of the glory of God!

But try praying that God will save your marriage, relieve your crushing debt, or cure a desperately ill family member (all things I've prayed for). You'll get no relief and no answers. Children still die, Christian families still fall apart at the same or higher rate than apostate families, and people still go hungry.

I have an uncle who, years ago, believed that God told him to build a Christian bookstore in the inner city. If anyone dared to question him on this decision, he'd accuse them of questioning God himself. He received direct instructions, after all.

As you might imagine, the bookstore failed miserably and the home they bought that adjoins the store is worth only a fraction of what they paid for it about 12 years ago.

When your prayers and faith are in direct conflict with reality and common sense, guess which ones prevail?

• Like 2

If God CAN do anything, why does he do NOTHING while so many of his creatures are suffering? If he can but he won't, then he's a dick.

Because he can also BE anything, even a dick.

Guest r3alchild

Yeah, most Christians "believe that God can do anything." When they pray for something minor or inconsequential, and due to random circumstances, it happens, they take it as proof that God answers prayers. I once heard an example of a woman praying that a parking spot would open up at Wal-Mart, and when it did, she took it as proof of the glory of God!

But try praying that God will save your marriage, relieve your crushing debt, or cure a desperately ill family member (all things I've prayed for). You'll get no relief and no answers. Children still die, Christian families still fall apart at the same or higher rate than apostate families, and people still go hungry.

I have an uncle who, years ago, believed that God told him to build a Christian bookstore in the inner city. If anyone dared to question him on this decision, he'd accuse them of questioning God himself. He received direct instructions, after all.

As you might imagine, the bookstore failed miserably and the home they bought that adjoins the store is worth only a fraction of what they paid for it about 12 years ago.

When your prayers and faith are in direct conflict with reality and common sense, guess which ones prevail?

I once asked a very old christian if she has seen anything big god has done from all her prayers and she said no only little things.

Only little things?

Honesty does not serve a christian well.

Can god kill all Christians? Can god kill himself?

Because he can also BE anything, even a dick.

Transfiguration :-)

To paraphrase Picard, "why in hell does god need worshippers/sacrifices?"

I don't bother.

Trying to pin down a Christian in this or any argument is futile. A Christian can just pull anything out of their ass and have it suffice for an answer whereas we bound ourselves by reason and logic.

Mark Twain wrote an essay entitled, "Letters From Earth". It was written in first person by an agent of

Satan who was reporting back on conditions on earth. I guess you could call him a war correspondent.

He was telling him of peoples' religious beliefs. At one point he said, "You'd be surprised at what they will admit". He said that people claimed that god was omnipotent, omniscient, all beneficent. etc., and

that they inexplicably seemed not to understand that since god had all these qualities and capabilities

he could eliminate all evil and disasters at his whim any time he wished. But people worshiped him

anyway and blamed all the wrong in the world on Satan and themselves. It's a good satire. bill

God can do anything, except when he can't.

Such a fulfilling mythology.

I think even more telling, where was God during the holocaust when the Nazi's were slaughtering the Jews? You know,God's chosen people? I honestly don't know how Jews could still believe in him after something that horrific happened to their people.

• Like 1

The fact that the lights go out means it is a good time to walk away.    There is no use talking to someone who refuses to listen. 

"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would. That’s the difference between me and your God."  -  Tracie Harris,  The Atheist Experience

• Like 1