Goodbye Jesus

Letters To Santa

Ellwood

Just had one of those special moments at work where old christian friend who knows of my deconversion tells me they are praying for me.   I ask why?   They reply that they are concerned for me.    I ask if they are concerned I will end up in hell?   Nodding head tells me I am correct but they don't want to say the H word themselves.   It must be that powerful!

I ask them for some evidence for hell.   The bible.   I ask for evidence I should trust the bible.   She has a personal relationship with god that tells her it is true.  I said like all the other billions of religious people feel they have the truth because the "feel" it?   More babble and meaningless chat.

I then made a statement with as much sincerity as I could to help her understand how her prayer comment came across to me,   I told her that her saying she was praying for me sounded, to me, the same as though someone told me they were seriously writing to Santa for me to get a good christmas present.   That is how pointless that comment comes across to me.

She immediately went into extreme but controlled gawd pusher mode saying in no way was her god a fable or myth like Santa.   Again I said could you prove it.   I need evidence.    She gave me more of, I feel it, personal relationship, blah, blah.

So gang.  Was I cruel?  Maybe but why would someone talk about prayer to me when I have no belief in it?   It only points to how they aren't listening to me.   I think that is what bothers me the most.   Have they not heard me tell them several times I do not believe anyone is up there listening?    It is somewhat insulting to me.   And she brought it up.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

For someone who has no regard whatsoever for you as a person or your personal views, your response to the intrusion was hardly cruel.

I hope Santa has mercy on your soul.

I hope Santa has mercy on your soul.

You know how Santa gets when he's angry... He puts some coal in your stocking.

I think that this woman was probably wanted to say "F*** you" but thought that telling you she would pray for you sounded nicer. I do not know for sure, but it's a reasonable hypothesis. 

BCIQ5jZCUAEe5Rt.jpg

• Like 7

And she brought it up.

When somebody brings up the subject with me I take it as a license to totally level with them and not pull punches. Of course, in the six months since I've been "out" I've had exactly 4 people do it: my former pastor, a good friend from church (via email) and two Mormon missionaries that came to my door. Everyone else has either completely avoided me personally or, when they couldn't do that, simply avoided the topic.

Mormons and Witnesses are always fair game, no tags or bag limits needed.

• Like 4

Just had one of those special moments at work where old christian friend who knows of my deconversion tells me they are praying for me.   I ask why?   They reply that they are concerned for me.    I ask if they are concerned I will end up in hell?   Nodding head tells me I am correct but they don't want to say the H word themselves.   It must be that powerful!

I ask them for some evidence for hell.   The bible.   I ask for evidence I should trust the bible.   She has a personal relationship with god that tells her it is true.  I said like all the other billions of religious people feel they have the truth because the "feel" it?   More babble and meaningless chat.

I then made a statement with as much sincerity as I could to help her understand how her prayer comment came across to me,   I told her that her saying she was praying for me sounded, to me, the same as though someone told me they were seriously writing to Santa for me to get a good christmas present.   That is how pointless that comment comes across to me.

She immediately went into extreme but controlled gawd pusher mode saying in no way was her god a fable or myth like Santa.   Again I said could you prove it.   I need evidence.    She gave me more of, I feel it, personal relationship, blah, blah.

So gang.  Was I cruel?  Maybe but why would someone talk about prayer to me when I have no belief in it?   It only points to how they aren't listening to me.   I think that is what bothers me the most.   Have they not heard me tell them several times I do not believe anyone is up there listening?    It is somewhat insulting to me.   And she brought it up.

It will be interesting to see if there is any fallout.  If some Christian saw it and decided you were cruel they might decide to get some Good Christian revenge.  Just watch your back for a while.  Be careful.

So to make it all more interesting this person is the Senior Director of HR. So what kind of revenge should I expect? Lol!

Also her conversation started with mentioning that her pastor, whom I have never met, would love to meet with me just to find out about what brought me to this. And he is a great guy and loves science. Right! Been there already too many times.

I started off by saying if he believes in a young earth I am not interested. Such a person does not respond to reason or evidence. I also said i have learned no one simply wants to hear my journey, especially anyone who gets income from religion, whether preacher or musician. The conversations and emails can go on and on. A bit too many just to find out my story.

So I shut that down fairly fast and then she pulled the prayer magic on me. And I pulled the Santa magic. At least Santa brings gifts that you enjoy in THIS world!

It does sound a little harsh when you put it that way, about Santa. But of course, I can see where you are coming from. It's insanely frustrating when you ask for evidence and they look at you with doe eyes and go, "I just know he's in my heart."

I'd smile and say, "Yeah, OK. I appreciate that," when the topic comes up. There's no point in starting an argument with a good friend who won't look at why s/he believes something.

• Like 1

And she brought it up.

When somebody brings up the subject with me I take it as a license to totally level with them and not pull punches. Of course, in the six months since I've been "out" I've had exactly 4 people do it: my former pastor, a good friend from church (via email) and two Mormon missionaries that came to my door. Everyone else has either completely avoided me personally or, when they couldn't do that, simply avoided the topic.

HA having read your posts I can understand why few would approach you. You know your stuff! You doing a blog yet?

• Like 1

Pray to Santa in front of the HR Director. "Dear Santa, I lift up the HR Director to you. Please remind this person of my personal freedom to believe the way I want to believe or even not believe. Remind them of the damage they are causing to our work/personal relationship when they bother me about Jesus. In the name of Santa, Mrs. Claus and Rudolph I pray, Amen."

And she brought it up.

HA having read your posts I can understand why few would approach you. You know your stuff! You doing a blog yet?

Yep. There's a link to my blog in my sig.

Blasphemy! No mention of the tooth fairy?  May she have mercy on your teeth

• Like 1

At least Santa was a real person.  St Nicholas I mean.