Goodbye Jesus

Christian Books At The Store I Work At.

LastKing

I work at a grocery store, not exactly a job I like to begin with, and recently we put out put a special display for Christian books. Not too long ago I took a look and notice there were some written by our Ray Comfort that were pretty anti-evolution.  It annoyed me  that we were selling books that sold creationist propaganda but let it roll off. Today, I found that they added some more books to the display and the kind we are selling now really pissed me off.

Here is one the books our store is selling to give you an idea what kind of christian literature they are.

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Strategy_of_Satan.html?id=ZM_IBGik2i4C

Yeah, our local grocery store is selling people fire and brimstone cult propaganda. How is this any better than giving a display to Scientology or any other cult that uses fear? I find it very disturbing that there are enough people living in my area that believe in the spiritual warfare junk that books like this can sold in public stores.

When I was Christian I found myself practicing spiritual Warfare,  which was introduce to me by my Christian "counselor". Spiritual Warfare did a lot of damage to my life and my mental health. This did not help me feel better at all and only help confirmed that their are more people living in my area that really believe in this crap.

Hey LK

It sounds like the store manager is a fundy. I'd approach the manager. Bibles are one thing but nutter books are another. You could:

1. Tell the manager you feel this is inappropriate merchandise,

2. Tell the manager you have received customer complaints about these items, or

3. Be passive aggressive and put "WTF?" and "LOL"post-its on the book covers.

Assuming you are in the US, this is still a free country and the owners of the store can pretty much sell whatever they wish so long as it is not illegal. (I am also you work for a privately owned store.)

You are perfectly free to either accept that or look for work elsewhere that does not engage in practices you disagree with.

If the owner isn't trying to cram it down your throat or make it a condition of employment then you need to weigh what is more important to you: a steady paycheck for now or standing on principle in the unemployment line.

Yes, I am wondering if the Manager is a creationist or who is responsible for this display?  Can you approach them without fear of some retaliation?

I would weigh whether or not its worth it to make a big deal out of it, considering its at your workplace.

heh, I'd leave it alone. The owner must be a fundamentalist (or pretty close). That kind of thing is a novelty, we don't get anything like that happening where I live.

• Like 1

Maybe the owner decided to start selling fire starter material.

I work at a grocery store, not exactly a job I like to begin with, and recently we put out put a special display for Christian books. Not too long ago I took a look and notice there were some written by our Ray Comfort that were pretty anti-evolution.  It annoyed me  that we were selling books that sold creationist propaganda but let it roll off. Today, I found that they added some more books to the display and the kind we are selling now really pissed me off.

Here is one the books our store is selling to give you an idea what kind of christian literature they are.

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Strategy_of_Satan.html?id=ZM_IBGik2i4C

Yeah, our local grocery store is selling people fire and brimstone cult propaganda. How is this any better than giving a display to Scientology or any other cult that uses fear? I find it very disturbing that there are enough people living in my area that believe in the spiritual warfare junk that books like this can sold in public stores.

When I was Christian I found myself practicing spiritual Warfare,  which was introduce to me by my Christian "counselor". Spiritual Warfare did a lot of damage to my life and my mental health. This did not help me feel better at all and only help confirmed that their are more people living in my area that really believe in this crap.

Does your store sell alcohol and cigarettes? Both of these substances kill lots of people every year. Does it disturb you to sell these things as well? Just trying to put things into perspective a little bit.

But I can empathize a little. I was in Walmart the other day and noticed a bunch of Christian titles in the book section. blech.

But what the heck, we all complain a little about the crap we have to do at work. Then enjoy the benefits of the paycheck.

• Like 1

Hey LK

It sounds like the store manager is a fundy. I'd approach the manager. Bibles are one thing but nutter books are another. You could:

1. Tell the manager you feel this is inappropriate merchandise,

2. Tell the manager you have received customer complaints about these items, or

3. Be passive aggressive and put "WTF?" and "LOL"post-its on the book covers.

Depends on if the store is monitored by cameras, but the WTF and LOL postits sounds fun. ha.

You are perfectly free to either accept that or look for work elsewhere that does not engage in practices you disagree with.

Good luck with finding a place to work where you and the boss are always in agreement. :-)  Unless you're self-employed. I regularly disagreed with the boss on policies and decisions but not so much that I couldn't allow myself to continue to work there and receive a paycheck. haha.

• Like 1

The grocery store is just trying to make a buck.  If I owned a grocery store frequented by Christians who liked that sort of reading material, I'd have it on display, too, and hope I sold a lot of it.  If I had Muslims frequent my grocery store, I'd stock whatever Muslims wanted to purchase, too.  It's the way business works.

• Like 1