Goodbye Jesus

Am I Cynical?

owen652

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPW3EB5U0bo

Am I just a horrible cynic for not finding this terribly inspirational? It was posted on facebook by a fundy friend and features my countryman Nick Vujicic, who gets a lot of play in pentecostal circles, both here and now overseas. When I first heard of him I was still a Christian and I found his story inspiring, but now, years later.. not so much. I couldn't help thinking, whilst watching this, that he could put as much faith in God as he likes and see how far he gets in a country like India if he's born with no arms or legs. In fact people just like him are everywhere over there (I saw them firsthand), they just don't have the opportunity to try scuba diving, or skydiving, or proselytising on Oprah, or...

I dunno, I guess if it was just a story of not letting misfortunes get in the way of living your life, I could handle it, but the crux of his message is that Jesus was the only reason he was able to overcome his limitations. Obviously, people do this all the time without Jesus. But to point this out to anyone, especially my christian friends, would be to paint myself as a heartless, negative, godless heathen and would further confirm their suspicions of atheists/agnostics and particularly ex-christians.  

I would have clung to his story as a believer looking for evidence. I agree--the Jesus excuse detracts from an otherwise inspirational story. Poor guy. It's like, if he credited Allah or Zeus, that would put a similar damper on things.