Goodbye Jesus

What Christian Denomination Were You From?

FloridaGirl

I am curious about which denomination of Christianity you guys came from? It seems like a lot of you, from what I have read, were raised in really strict Christian families.

As for me, I was not raised in any Christian denomination. My parents were not religious and it was not something I came to until later in my life. I got introduced to Christianity through someone who was a Pentecostal. I later did a lot of church hopping and was involved with non-denominational, Church of Christ, Baptist, and Catholic.

• Like 1

I represent the Holy Roller side of things... Praying/speaking in tongues and all of that.  Non-deonominational is what they like to call themselves.

I was a Methodist.

SOUTHERN BAPTISTS UP IN THE HISSSSOUSEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evolution is for the birds and creationism rules!!!!!! oh yeah =D

• Like 1

I grew up in a branch of the Church of Christ called the Christian Church, which allowed musical instruments in the services.  I also participated in Baptist and independent Bible churches and mega-churches.  I visited Calvary Chapels, Assemblies of God, Roman Catholic, and Jewish fellowships, but I was always pretty much a conservative biblical fundamentalist.

Well as I've mentioned I also wasn't originally Christian, I was raised Hindu. But I started out in a Reformed Baptist Church, and then after college I joined a nondenominational mega church.

Pentecostal/Church of God. I came from a "church family;" most of us were involved in clergy or at least attended regularly, but eventually most of us stopped going. We had the usual set of fundy beliefs, but we were pretty moderate in practice. About all I have to take as a closet atheist now is saying grace. 

Started out Methodist as a young child but my parents converted to Independent Baptist. Forced to go to church three times a week until sometime in high school. Much later in life I decided to join an Episcopal Church and I was there for 5 years before giving it all up and switching to Buddhism.

Married a Pentecostal and became Pentecostal. Divorced the Pentecostal and became normal again.

• Like 3

I was raised Baptist, started taking my faith seriously in the church of Christ, and considered the Orthodox Church everything I was looking for in the Christian faith. 3 or 4 years Orthodox and a couple of monastery visits later, I had lost my faith. I told myself going into it that "if Orthodoxy isn't true, nothing is true." Well, here I am.

I was raised "churchian", which means "good people go to church". When I got serious about the faith in my late teens, I started out non-denominational, fundy, evengelical. Stayed that way for many years until I got sick of them, then went to the Eastern Orthodox Church. Left the faith altogether from that denomination.

I've only known of two other people who were EOC who left the faith.

It's a hard thing to walk away from, leopardus, even if you know better. It envelops your whole life and provides a sense of structure -- the whole liturgical calendar becomes built into you. When to eat and when to fast, when to pray, so many factors. I still adore the traditions of Orthodoxy, but find it to be completely untrue, and overtly harsh concerning certain things... which I suppose is the nature of the Christian faith. I always considered the Orthodox Church as the "Christian Marines."

I haven't been able to give away my prayer ropes, prayer books or iconography yet. Don't believe in a lick of it -- but it's emotional attachments.

Before I got my driver's license: Presbyterian and Christian Reformed.

After I got my driver's license (age 16): Pentecostal and Non-Denominational Charismatic (a la Holy Roller above).
                                                               I RUE THE DAY I STEPPED FOOT IN THESE NUTTER CHURCHES!!!!!

• Super Moderator

Catholic  

I was raised in the Wesleyan Church.  For those of you not familiar with that particular strain of the cult, they share the same roots and much theology with their fellow Holy Rollers like Pentecostals and Church of God.  I've never spent much time at all in any church besides the Wesleyan one, so I can't really say how they compare.  But the main thing I remember is that they're the most miserable and repressed group of people I've ever encountered.

Church of GAWD (always said like that)

I reckon that makes us theological kin or something.  Did people in your church run circles around the pews screaming and/or spend an hour at a time up at the alter howling?

It always sucked when the Holy Spirit showed up- it meant we were stuck there for at least another half hour.  I remember that many a time when I was a teenager, the entire fucking church would be up front at the altar howling to gawd sometimes for an hour when the goddamn Holy Spirit showed up.  And my brothers and I would be the only ones not participating- just sitting awkwardly in the back because we had to be there.  I guess I should be thankful that our parents only required attendance... they never really pushed active participation.

• Like 1

SOUTHERN BAPTISTS UP IN THE HISSSSOUSEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evolution is for the birds and creationism rules!!!!!! oh yeah =D

Amen brotha! That evolution nonsense is a lie straight out the pit of hell and all that science stuff is the work of Satan. Jesus is comin' back ANY day now!

• Like 1

Southern Baptist for 12 years and then Church of Christ for 28 years. Maybe there is a God after all; how else could someone explain regaining control of their mind and retaining some semblance of sanity after being part of the Church of Christ for 28 years? That would certainly seem to qualify as a bona fide miracle. Talk about being raised from the dead. I once was lost but now am found……..halleluiah and amen!

• Like 4

Many years as a member of a actual "Conservative Baptist Association" denomination then moved to a non-denominational "seeker" church (Willowcreek style) and that helped me seek the real truth.   Which to their disappointment - I found.

A small Reformed sect with only about 30,000 members but really strict reformed (i.e. Calvinist). It's weird though - they also pretend to be modern in their everyday living. For example, we would sing 500 year old hymns (only instrument was an organ) and practice 500 year old customs in church matters but then jump into our modern vehicles with modern music cranked and the latest fashion trends. Super duper weird.

Then my wife and I left for a church of christ. Then we went more main stream for a non-denominational mega church. Then we joined the church of reason and never looked back. :) 

I reckon that makes us theological kin or something.  Did people in your church run circles around the pews screaming and/or spend an hour at a time up at the alter howling?

It always sucked when the Holy Spirit showed up- it meant we were stuck there for at least another half hour.  I remember that many a time when I was a teenager, the entire fucking church would be up front at the altar howling to gawd sometimes for an hour when the goddamn Holy Spirit showed up.  And my brothers and I would be the only ones not participating- just sitting awkwardly in the back because we had to be there.  I guess I should be thankful that our parents only required attendance... they never really pushed active participation.

Yep. Sunday nights when the biddies got happy seemed endless. I was pissed I was missing "Wonderful World of Disney."

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

As a child I was subjected to my father's church, the Church of God (Anderson). It didn't take. Later as an adult, because of a work friend, I joined Grace Brethren, which is like Baptist, but perhaps a bit more studious. Today I worship the Holy Pasta.

I almost forgot to mention.... as I often do, I misread the title of this thread. I saw "Christian Domination."

Freud lives!

Started out and remained a Pentecostal for a long time, then graduated to the Vineyard Church and then graduated to the 'Word of Faith' where I ended the whole journey when I realized that it was the year of 2008 and I was drinking blood and eating flesh in these churches. I already had my share of questions for all these pastors (and of course they just kept telling me to have faith) but when the 'revelation' of drinking blood and eating flesh hit me........ I just couldn't do it anymore........Ridigwoopsie.gif

• Like 3