Goodbye Jesus

Left Carm For Good

Guest r3alchild

Guest r3alchild

A year back when I was still a struggling faith based christian I opened a account at the carm (Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry) I still remember feeling like a leper x 10 while I tried to fit in there.

Then soon enough I found this place and I seemed to fit right in, but I felt like I still needed to talk to christians and for a time I did. But I soon discovered that I was trying to effect the wrong crowd. So I sent a forum message to carm and asked them to let me go. (close my account for good) and just under a week they closed my account down.

Fuck things are scary now but very very real, no heaven, no hell, just these four walls and a life for myself.

I find that places like that (CARM) are actually toxic to one's mental stability. And you'll find, hopefully, the longer you are away from those kinds of settings and/or people, the better you'll feel. I know because I speak from experience.

Guest MadameX

Dude, your comment about the four walls - no way! This isn't prison. in fact you have just left a prison and you are now blinking in the bright sunlight of freedom and honesty. A life without the mindfuck. You are going to thrive. Congratulations!

• Like 4

Stop reading my posts and telling my parents. This site is supposed to be confidential and I'm using an alias for a reason!

Dude, your comment about the four walls - no way! This isn't prison. in fact you have just left a prison and you are now blinking in the bright sunlight of freedom and honesty. A life without the mindfuck. You are going to thrive. Congratulations!

And there is also a heaven and a hell, except it's not in the afterlife. Those things are in this life when we create them or when others create them for us.

Guess what r3alchild? When you left CARM, you left Hell. When you joined us, you came to Heaven!

• Like 1

Guest r3alchild

My creativity is coming back like a steam roller and I don't get all jugmental and angry anymore. Well not in a christian goggles way.. More like beer goggle in the simpsons. "what did you say selma?" I said take those damn glasses off!

• Like 2

CARM is one of the most infuriating forums I've ever encountered on the net. I joined there about 4 years ago. When I joined I was far more conservative than I am now. I'm only a moderate now, not even a liberal. I actually shared their stance on homosexuality and other issues at the time but they were so extreme in their hatred and intolerance, that even I as a conservative at the time was absolutely horrified and enraged by what I was reading on there. After 4 days I'd had eventually had enough and left there for good. It is indeed very toxic to one's mental health.

At the time they had what was called  a whining board and the moderators would move any topic they wanted to over there, even if it was a legitimate issue. There is an air of extreme narcissism on there among the so called "saved" on there.

• Like 1

My creativity is coming back like a steam roller and I don't get all jugmental and angry anymore. Well not in a christian goggles way.. More like beer goggle in the simpsons. "what did you say selma?" I said take those damn glasses off!

It's nice isn't it.

It sounded like they represented spiritual security to you - a lot more than just a group/culture of people to talk to or not.  It only gets better after this.

I watched Matt Slick debate atheists on YouTube. He would keep repeating the same two arguments over and over again like a parrot. He also seemed really insecure and kind of scared me.

I watched Matt Slick debate atheists on YouTube. He would keep repeating the same two arguments over and over again like a parrot. He also seemed really insecure and kind of scared me.

He was probably afraid that the believers struggling with their faith would find his arguments to be weak, in complete contrast to the ones used by his opponents, and see that Christianity was poison. He probably felt insecure knowing that many would leave the cult, taking away any ability to control them from the religious politicians who want to shove their religion down everyone else's throat.

• Like 1

He was probably afraid that the believers struggling with their faith would find his arguments to be weak, in complete contrast to the ones used by his opponents, and see that Christianity was poison. He probably felt insecure knowing that many would leave the cult, taking away any ability to control them from the religious politicians who want to shove their religion down everyone else's throat.

William Lane Craig is always so calm on those YouTube debates though. He confuses me. I can never follow his train of thought but he always makes it sound like he is saying something profound.

Guest r3alchild

William Lane Craig is always so calm on those YouTube debates though. He confuses me. I can never follow his train of thought but he always makes it sound like he is saying something profound.
Yeah profound in the pants.

Yeah profound in the pants.

OC is a wannabe WLC, think about it.

• Like 1

Funny thing some of you said about Craig because it's triggered a couple of thoughts on my end.

1. He argues mostly from a philosophical stance while his opponents argue from ancient historical document translations, bible corruption, practices of various scribes(Ehrman), actual evolutionary/historical facts (Hitchens, Dawkins), or naturalism and its processes(Shook).

2. He cites the same crap over and over and never deviates from his prepared script no matter how much his opponents try to get him to do so in order to have a more meaningful conversation.

3. The rare times he actually did go off script he made incredible mistakes/admissions on things. Example - Ehrman got him to agree, in a debate, that other magicians/sorcerers were probably performing the SAME kinds of miracles attributed to Jesus. Craig obviously missed the point Ehrman made - so what's so unique about another magician coming along and making absurd claims?

But the incredibly funny thing is that I am currently reading another Ehrman book about the ancient followers and they ALL condemned 'using philosophy' to prove anything! Tertullain, Origen and others dismissed it as foolish mutterings that have nothing to do with the truth of their religion!

So now we have a guy regarded as a god by his sycophants using something that the ancients despised! Funny how they come full circle with their apologetics isn't it?

The people on CARM be fucking crazy.  I hang in the Agnostic Secular forums a bit, our of sheer fascination for the level of total batshit craziness.

I like that the internet is a vast open sea of information. I really couldn't be satisfied with a single place on it to box me in. I surf from place to place at my whim, and make port at a few familiar locations for a while, like this place, or 4chan, or reddit, or youtube. I go where my mood suits me and don't worry about having obligations because I'm a 'member' of any particular community. I like this place, but if I was unable to come here for some reason, the net is a vast and wondrous place full of monsters, hostile message boards, and tranquil forums. I see no reason to worry about anything more than keeping myself entertained and occupied, and that's easy to do with nothing but an internet connection and a keyboard and mouse.