Goodbye Jesus

Religious Ramblings At Graduation Ceremonies

TotalWreck

I was at a relatives' high school graduation ceremony yesterday, and you would've fucking swore I was in church.  I can't tell you how many of the students that had speeches to give rambled on about "God" and quoted bible verses in their speeches. yawn.gif  And of course everyone clapped whenever someone mentioned this crap.

I personally think it's inappropriate to be bringing up "god" and quoting scriptures in speeches when this is a public school and not everyone shares the same beliefs.  I don't know why, but it just really pissed me off and put me into a bad mood.mad.gif   It's like no matter where you go or what you do, there's some asshole trying to remind as about how good and wonderful "god" is.devilfinger.gif

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I was at a relatives' high school graduation ceremony yesterday, and you would've fucking swore I was in church.  I can't tell you how many of the students that had speeches to give rambled on about "God" and quoted bible verses in their speeches. yawn.gif  And of course everyone clapped whenever someone mentioned this crap.

I personally think it's inappropriate to be bringing up "god" and quoting scriptures in speeches when this is a public school and not everyone shares the same beliefs.  I don't know why, but it just really pissed me off and put me into a bad mood.mad.gif   It's like no matter where you go or what you do, there's some asshole trying to remind as about how good and wonderful "god" is.devilfinger.gif

I guess I don't see it as a problem for the students that are believers to say that the god they believed in helped them. It would be annoying to be forced to sit there and listen to a church sermon at a graduation, most definitely, but it doesn't seem all that bad.

• Like 1

Yeah, while I don't particularly like being godded at in this stage in life I can appreciate their wanting to express their beliefs.

When I graduate I'm going to do a long rambling speech about the grace of Cthulhu and the difference he has made in my life by not casting me into eternal madness, that make you feel any better? :P

I gave the valedictory address at my high school graduation and it was pretty much a sermon.  But, I was at a Christian school, so the attendees could have expected it.

I guess I don't see it as a problem for the students that are believers to say that the god they believed in helped them. It would be annoying to be forced to sit there and listen to a church sermon at a graduation, most definitely, but it doesn't seem all that bad.

It is when you're all "god'ed out".  Plus, it's easy to talk about how great "god" is when you're valedictorian and everything in life is going smoothly. 

It'll be interesting to see if their beliefs stay the same 10 years from now when they're in the "real" world and have experienced some life.

Yeah, while I don't particularly like being godded at in this stage in life I can appreciate their wanting to express their beliefs.

When I graduate I'm going to do a long rambling speech about the grace of Cthulhu and the difference he has made in my life by not casting me into eternal madness, that make you feel any better? tongue.png

You'd be doing it wrong. You should play up the madness thing and go on about how you hope to be eaten first when the Elder Gods rise and slay humanity. I actually did something similar, but I praised Crom. Boy was my mother ever pissed, but it was still worth it. It was fun to ramble on about the 'riddle of steel', crushing my enemies, and about how I was glad I pleased him with my valor when I sought revenge on those who had wronged me. [i did have a reputation for doing that actually.] Half the hall was laughing their asses off, the other half looked pretty uncomfortable. If I'd gone on any longer, I'm pretty sure the faculty would have interrupted me and ushered me off the stage. Totally worth it.

As for OP, this kind of thing really doesn't bother me. I just don't give a shit, and it doesn't impress me. Sitting through it would be little more than a bore for me. I do however feel that they should have the right to do so and I don't think it would be right to stop them. It's not the same thing as putting up religious monuments on public ground or using public funds to promote their faith. It's a personal speech, public or not, and they should have the right to say what they want without restriction.

I also don't care about open displays of prayer in school by students. It's their business and I see no reason to interfere with it as it has no effect on me or anyone else who does not believe. I would have issue with a teacher leading a prayer group as it could easily become an abuse of authority to promote their faith within their classes, but as far as students who wish to pray openly, there's no reason to care or bother them about it no matter where they happen to be. Note that I'm not just singling out Christian prayer here either.

I teach in a public high school, and so I am expected to attend graduation every year.  I get irritated too when students constantly mention god and read scriptures. I realized that what is bothering me is that it seems to often be done purely for effect.  As you said, when god is mentioned, the audience often claps and cheers in support of this "brave young person standing up for his/her beliefs" as if schools are trying to deny their rights or something. It's as though they think they are putting one over on the godless public school system.  But this is the USA, and students have freedom of speech, so no bravery is required. 

You'd be doing it wrong. You should play up the madness thing and go on about how you hope to be eaten first when the Elder Gods rise and slay humanity.

Ah but I find the opposite more funny when comparing it to Christian god worship-   both have a record of chaos and destruction and turning people into salty pillars and being kinda touchy, but everyone thanks Christian god when he does good things despite that apparently being his default setting and not much effort, whereas people don't thank Cthulhu for letting nice things happen and that's arguably the more remarkable thing.

I kinda like the idea of saying to a god 'thanks for ignoring me!'

Anyway, woo tangent! And I'm not sure very well explained, carry on!

Dubs (T-Dubb) I miss you!

Wouldn't it have been a riot if a few of us Ex-Cs had been there with you? He he he.

I suppose that students have the right to freely express themselves.  The only thing that bothers me about this is that evangelical Christians believe that they are the only theists, and that all "unbelievers" are atheists.  Unfortunately this seems to be a belief tacitly held by many atheists in America as well.  I would like to see Hindu and Buddhist students (but preferably not Muslims) express their beliefs during these events as well, and see how many evangelicals remain in support of free expression.  We're American citizens too, why should our beliefs by any less valid than those of a religion whose god tells you you'll go to eternal torment for not intellectually assenting to his lordship?

Guest ThereIsNoGod

I think it's all about attitude. If people are clapping and cheering when someone mentions Jesus and Bible verses as their source of inspiration, it does make it sounds all "In your face, unbelievers!". The problem is, christianity has been helpful to some and harmful to others. How does does someone who has suffered under christianity feel when people boast about Jesus and the Bible and others support him with cheering and clapping? I guess at the very least, you could ask that people show due respect and humility when they mention their religion on stage. How many christians would complain if a Muslim was to boastfully praise Allah and quote the Koran on stage? Of course the more popular the religion, the less the devotee feels he has to respect the minority who don't believe the same.

And how many of those very same students who were thanking "God" for all they accomplished went out that night and got drunk and laid celebrating?

Fucking hypocrites, literally.

• Like 2

And how many of those very same students who were thanking "God" for all they accomplished went out that night and got drunk and laid celebrating?

Probably the best observation of all.

50% is my guess... Possibly 60-70%

"As we stand here on graduation day with diplomas in hand, no more school to attend, no job prospects, 15% unemployment, financially strapped parents bitching at us about us spending their money, eating their food, doing nothing around the house and generally being ungrateful, Lord Jebus let us pray that we all might find someone to move in with...quickly."