Goodbye Jesus

88 Reasons Why The Rapture Will Be In 1988

Brother Jeff

I bought into this bullshit back in the day. I fully expected Jesus to return exactly as predicted. I was so looking forward to being in the presence of JESUS that night and I was so worried for my "unsaved" family.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14080011/88-Reasons-Why-The-Rapture-Will-Be-in-1988

What a bunch of bullshit. The guy who wrote it went to a lot of trouble. All for nothing except to look foolish...

Jesus, if he lived in history at all, is long dead. He ain't never coming back...

I lived through the scare in 88.  What I don't remember is any Christian leader saying that Christianity is wrong in 1989.  Oh some guy got it wrong?  Well that was his personal interpretation.  It's all going to happen any minute now . . . just not yesterday.  But it's going to happen - we know it's true.  

'90  . . .  '91  . . . . '92  . . . '93 . . .  '94 . . .  '95 . . . . '96 . . . .  any minute now!  . . . '97 . . . '98 . . . oh look out it's Y2K!!!! . . .  2000 . . . '01  . . . '02 . . . any minute now! . . . '03 . . .

I just think about all my Christian friends and acquaintances who died in the last 20 years believing that Jesus would return in their lifetime.

• Like 2

^^^^ MyMistake, EXACTLY.

I am so thankful for you.

I have had family members "prophesy" that The Lard is returning by [name the date or event]. I'm so tired of it. Rapture-phobia almost ruined my life.

• Like 1

Hal Lindsay, 666, www, fall of china and russia and berlin n the 80s,,,, all point o the 2nd coming,,,,,,,

but somehow it did not bother me too much,,,,, must be i was never a true christian,,,,, hahahaha

I bought into this bullshit back in the day. I fully expected Jesus to return exactly as predicted. I was so looking forward to being in the presence of JESUS that night and I was so worried for my "unsaved" family.

we all did man.

September 11th 1999...  That's what my mom and her end-time believing friends thought.  I somewhat believed her and my wife believed me.  What a painful, embarrassing, torturous experience that was.

To this day, my mom still has some kind of hope in a rapture.  She prides herself in being an "Eschatologist" and believes God has imparted certain "revelations" to her and an ability to decipher end-time versus in the bible.  Thank God she never brings it up and I usually try to steer the conversation towards other subjects.  It's consumed her.  It's really sad.  :(

• Super Moderator

The Rapture DID occur in 1988. Turns out there really are no true Christians.

Great post, man.  Been there.  Sadly.

It's bad enough that they hurl that $hit from their mouths, but they also turn it into "wholesome christian entertainment," the sole purpose of which is frightening people --frightening them so bad that they have no choice but to capitulate to their "message of love."

Anyone see the christian entertainment film, "Left Behind" or others like it?

To me their actions...

A) Are criminal. The US puts people in jail when they use scare tactics which causes intense fear in others. It's a well-defined form of terrorism. Why aren't christians prosecuted for frightening children and the more kindly-hearted among us who might be swayed by the fear-inducing depictions and rhetoric? 

Does anyone else share with me the notion that even one child who is afraid when they go to bed that their parents --or they-- might get "left behind and abandoned" is one child too many? 

B) Provide yet further proof that the christian "message" is definitely NOT about love at all. Their god or savior have nothing to do with love.  Here's a simple test. Ask yourself: have you ever heard that any human must be mortally frightened in order to love someone?  In point of fact, humans cannot love what they fear except in certain states of mental illness. Like Stockholm Syndrome.  Hitchen's statement about a christian "celestial North Korea" certainly applies.

C) Prove that christians who dabble in this Armageddon-Roulette are are themselves disobedient and apostate:  They appear to reject the injunction about no one knowing "the day or hour."  They ignore their god and go on making predictions and enought trouble that some people become swayed out of fear.  On top of the calamity predicters, there are those more deeply twisted christian terrorists who actually try to do things to "hasten the day of the lord." People like the red heifer group and others who fall under the spell of that book of theirs --the bible-- and make it their life's purpose to try to bring about  the end of the world.  Christian=terrorist. Pure and simple.

• Like 1

It's bad enough that they hurl that $hit from their mouths, but they also turn it into "wholesome christian entertainment," the sole purpose of which is frightening people --frightening them so bad that they have no choice but to capitulate to their "message of love."

To me their actions...

A) Are criminal. The US puts people in jail when they use scare tactics which causes intense fear in others. It's a well-defined form of terrorism. Why aren't christians prosecuted for frightening children and the more kindly-hearted among us who might be swayed by the fear-inducing depictions and rhetoric? 

Does anyone else share with me the notion that even one child who is afraid when they go to bed that their parents --or they-- might get "left behind and abandoned" is one child too many? 

cool.png Provide yet further proof that the christian "message" is definitely NOT about love at all. Their god or savior have nothing to do with love.  Here's a simple test. Ask yourself: have you ever heard that any human must be mortally frightened in order to love someone?  In point of fact, humans cannot love what they fear except in certain states of mental illness. Like Stockholm Syndrome.  Hitchen's statement about a christian "celestial North Korea" certainly applies.

C) Prove that christians who dabble in this Armageddon-Roulette are are themselves disobedient and apostate:  They appear to reject the injunction about no one knowing "the day or hour."  They ignore their god and go on making predictions and enought trouble that some people become swayed out of fear.  On top of the calamity predicters, there are those more deeply twisted christian terrorists who actually try to do things to "hasten the day of the lord." People like the red heifer group and others who fall under the spell of that book of theirs --the bible-- and make it their life's purpose to try to bring about  the end of the world.  Christian=terrorist. Pure and simple.

I agree with all of what you said except for one thing. Christian evangelist = terrorist. Christian = cyborg drone/sheep that follows the instructions of their instruction manual without question.

To me their actions...

cool.png Provide yet further proof that the christian "message" is definitely NOT about love at all. Their god or savior have nothing to do with love.  Here's a simple test. Ask yourself: have you ever heard that any human must be mortally frightened in order to love someone?  In point of fact, humans cannot love what they fear except in certain states of mental illness. Like Stockholm Syndrome.  Hitchen's statement about a christian "celestial North Korea" certainly applies.

I agree with all of what you said except for one thing. Christian evangelist = terrorist. Christian = cyborg drone/sheep that follows the instructions of their instruction manual without question.

Are you saying that terrorists aren't drones/sheep following instructions when they scare children --or others with "or else hell, fire, abandoned, and left behind" rhetoric?  When a child or other person cannot sleep because of fear, develops anxiety, or the other manifestations of Religious Trauma Syndrome, it is called terrorism.  It is abuse.  christian drones and sheep do not do this out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it because of their instructions.  Look up Marlene Winell and Valerie Tarico elsewhere on this site for the full symdrome and its causes.  Maybe you didn't go to church?   

1988..hmm. I thought it was due to be May 21st 2011..or December 21st 2012...

The Rapture DID occur in 1988. Turns out there really are no true Christians.

Bwa ha ha.  You beat me to it, florduh.  I was going to say that it did occur and that three people got raptured.

• Like 1

Guest r3alchild

How can any christian be scared of people claiming the return of jesus when the bible says:

Matthew 24:36

[ The Day and Hour Unknown ] But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Please!

• Like 1

Yeah, I also came from the "nobody knows the day nor hour" camp, so I never got into the end-times hype. I feel for those who do get sucked into that.

It's mind-boggling that some Christians will still try to predict dates for the end when they know that countless such dates have failed in the past. Hell, even the Bible predicted that it would happen during the generation that was living when Jesus was supposedly here, and that was nearly 2000 years ago.

• Super Moderator

When the rapture didn't occur in 1988, what else could the author do but write a sequel -- 89 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be In 1989.   Yup, just another way to keep the money flowing in ... and his fearful followers under control.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Edgar_Whisenant

When the rapture didn't occur in 1988, what else could the author do but write a sequel -- 89 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be In 1989.   Yup, just another way to keep the money flowing in ... and his fearful followers under control.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Edgar_Whisenant

Now would be the perfect time to write yet another sequal because it would be so much easier.  "13 reasons why the Rapture will be in 2013".

September 11th 1999... That's what my mom and her end-time believing friends thought. I somewhat believed her and my wife believed me. What a painful, embarrassing, torturous experience that was.

To this day, my mom still has some kind of hope in a rapture. She prides herself in being an "Eschatologist" and believes God has imparted certain "revelations" to her and an ability to decipher end-time versus in the bible. Thank God she never brings it up and I usually try to steer the conversation towards other subjects. It's consumed her. It's really sad. :(

My mom has a similar hobby. She's all the time reading books about the End Times... usually tied in with whatever boogey-man right-wing politicians happen to be worrying over at the time. Right now she's all about the boogey-men in Iran. In the past it's been Iraq, Muslims in general, China, Russia, North Korea... any scary non-americans who happen to make the news can be tied to her vision of WWIII/Armageddon. Oh yeah, she will take notes while reading this shit so that she can cross-reference it with prophesies in Revelations and the like. And of course she also reads multiple 'survival blogs', and talks regularly with my in-laws (whose hobbies include collecting guns and canning everything in sight in preparation for the apocalypse). She knows not to bring up this shit with her boys... we're not too receptive to it. But she really believes that this will happen one day - and that her canned goods and small stockpile of gold and silver will save us all from impending doom. Not sure how the rapture figures into this... I'd think she would fly away to heaven when the shit hits the fan. But I don't ask for details.

And this is my SANE parent. Unlike my dad she has never spent time in a mental hospital.

To me their actions...

Are you saying that terrorists aren't drones/sheep following instructions when they scare children --or others with "or else hell, fire, abandoned, and left behind" rhetoric?  When a child or other person cannot sleep because of fear, develops anxiety, or the other manifestations of Religious Trauma Syndrome, it is called terrorism.  It is abuse.  christian drones and sheep do not do this out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it because of their instructions.  Look up Marlene Winell and Valerie Tarico elsewhere on this site for the full symdrome and its causes.  Maybe you didn't go to church?   

I was trying to say that just being a Christian doesn't automatically make a person a terrorist. Quite a few Christians are terrorists, but there are some that are not. That was my point. Yes, I did go to church. I still go and can't wait until I move away so I don't need to pretend like I still believe, but I know people in that church who are the complete opposite of terrorists. They are just misguided people who only want to help others, out of the goodness of their hearts, regardless of whether or not they give the credit for the things they do to a false god.