Goodbye Jesus

Facebook Is Killing Me

roadrunner

My facebook page has this #$&* on it...

"In a season of suffering, we may question God's intentions. But, sometimes His plans for deliverance are greater than our desire for relief."

This was posted by a slave with no brain. Once you get to the point you can acknowledge the absence of god's hand of protection and justify it by calling this a "season of suffering" and a plan of deliverance. WHAT PLAN! I have a finite brain and I can think of a better plan. The posts get worse but this one really set me off. I want so bad to post...

"If there was no god, what would the world look like?"

But I cant bring my self to do it so I deal with this.

The Governor of Oklahoma was interviewed and was asked how people could help. Her answer? "PRAYER!" Seriously? talk to the sky to help? Thats worse than doing nothing because its wasting energy that can be used to rebuild house, hug a childless parent, etc. what more PROOF do you need that THERE IS NO GOD.

• Like 1

Goodbye Jesus

"If there was no god, what would the world look like?"

But I cant bring my self to do it so I deal with this.

It appears to look a lot like the one we live in glare.gif. I found this gem in my e-mail inbox today:

"My brother found out this morning that K**** (her neice) has a very large brain tumor.  She will need surgery and radiation treatments.  Please pray for K**** and the rest of my brother's family as they are pretty shaken up right now.   

Some things of praise in this tough situation are that my brother just graduated from his college program yesterday (he will be back to his schedule of being off work 4 days a week), his wife M**** is done with work for the summer and that the kids will be out of school soon.  The Lord's timing is very evident!"

No better time to have a brain tumor, I guess. I don't understand, but then I do :-P
  • Like 2

"In a season of suffering, we may question God's intentions. But, sometimes His plans for deliverance are greater than our desire for relief."

I wonder if a friend of mine and his parents would find this comforting in the face of losing their sister/child to cancer.  This friend emailed my husband today to tell us that he and his fiancee were traveling to see his sister to say goodbye as she quite suddenly took a turn for the worse.  He asked us to pray for a miracle.  I would, except that I know asking the wind to provide medical treatment is not likely to be very effective.  Our friend is not very religious, but how is he going to feel when all the prayers that he has asked for on behalf of his dying sister are answered with a 'meh, I don't feel like helping today" from this 'loving, caring God'?

Why did any of this Christian bullshit ever make the least bit of sense to me??

• Like 2

Guest r3alchild

Yep I know how you feel, I am sending you mental huggs. Don't worry about things like this to much, just find whats makes you happy and do that with all your heart. Because in the end those kind of people are truly miserable.

• Like 1

For my sanity, I closed my FB account last year.  As almost everyone in my history is a devout Christian, I just got tired of being constantly annoyed and pissed off by the posts there.  Let me assure all you true believers...THERE IS LIFE AFTER FACEBOOK!!!  

I'm still able to stay in contact with the people who are important to me by other means, and the other 97% of my facebook "friends" who weren't really important to my life...i don't miss the inane ramblings of their faith-filled train wrecks every 12 minutes.

• Like 1

Guest r3alchild

For my sanity, I closed my FB account last year. As almost everyone in my history is a devout Christian, I just got tired of being constantly annoyed and pissed off by the posts there. Let me assure all you true believers...THERE IS LIFE AFTER FACEBOOK!!!

I'm still able to stay in contact with the people who are important to me by other means, and the other 97% of my facebook "friends" who weren't really important to my life...i don't miss the inane ramblings of their faith-filled train wrecks every 12 minutes.

Like in the old days when we had to use telephones and snail mail.
  • Like 1

Those who reject the concept of the supernatural realize that all the pain, grief, suffering and everything else that is "unfair" in life can be summed up in just five words: Shit happens, deal with it.

• Like 3

Those who reject the concept of the supernatural realize that all the pain, grief, suffering and everything else that is "unfair" in life can be summed up in just five words: Shit happens, deal with it.

I second this.. Also, those of us who have rejected this concept are now free to figure out how to deal with whatever is thrown our way without having to wait for a reply from the ever absent sky daddy. 

• Like 1

And the worse thing is that last week the sermon was on the "end times"....you know those times that have been happening for the past 2000 years. I can't wait for people that have already been primed to start chalking this up to THE END. They will inevitably pass away clinging to the idea that they almost made it to the rapture and the cycle will continue. I thought about closing facebook but I actually enjoy the other parts of it like contact photos for people in my phone, store specials, and some really special friends that help keep me sane when I'm rather closeted about my unbelief ;)

I listened to the story of one of the teachers  on the scott pelley show (60 minutes or american news something like that) where the teacher, in tears, talked about how one of her kids was being crushed and kept saying that he couldnt breathe. Thats no way for a child to go out. That particular kid made it out but others weren't so lucky. If god is omnipotent, he is truly evil. I spent a lot of time thinking that atheists were stretching a bit when they made this assertion but to even think that the all powerful sat on his hands while a conscious kid suffocated slowly depriving his brain of oxygen, that is EVIL. Thankfully no such being exists and life make a lot more sense. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Why does everybody blame Facebook and act as if it's an all or nothing proposition? You can easily control what you see and whom you deal with. You can control who sees your posts, too. I don't know why so many people have a problem with Facebook. It's very useful if you tailor it to your needs and don't leave yourself open to every idiotic thing that everybody you know might want to post.

Why does everybody blame Facebook and act as if it's an all or nothing proposition? You can easily control what you see and whom you deal with. You can control who sees your posts, too. I don't know why so many people have a problem with Facebook. It's very useful if you tailor it to your needs and don't leave yourself open to every idiotic thing that everybody you know might want to post.

Agree and disagree.  Facebook is a social phenomenon.  Yes, you can choose who your friends are and who aren't...but if you have a facebook page choose not to friend your religious relatives (and they are ALL on there), it can become an issue.  Mom and Aunt Mary want to know why you are ignoring them on facebook.  Much easier to just NOT have a facebook page as an excuse to avoid unnecessary conflict. 

I think facebook can be useful if you have a business or other needs to get information out to people regularly, but quite frankly for MOST people it is just a time-waster.  I don't think facebook is evil or bad, but you can easily stay in touch with the people who matter without it.  If you enjoy it great.  For me, the stress wasn't worth it.  I'm also not keen on some of the privacy issues.  But i'm not one who wants everything I do every day out there on the web.  To each their own.  I know people who have a much happier, healthier life without watching TV.  That doesn't mean everyone should follow suit.  But it is an option.

I would take the Edison approach. 

Edison responded to the fire by proclaiming he would resume manufacturing within ten days and began mapping out his rebuilding campaign immediately. While others saw the fire as a huge devastation, Edison saw it as an opportunity and saw the possibility of new direction and improvements in his factory design. He even used it to take advantage of the new factory design developed by Henry Ford. Edison’s life is a perfect example of living optimistically.

If my house got flattened by a tornado and everyone was fine, then I'd have a bond fire with the ruins and rebuild the way I want. 

• Like 1

I've been spending less time on there and it feels good. I filtered a couple anti-obama/pro-Jebus posters a year ago.

It's true, you don't have to receive any of this stuff if you don't waht to. Also, removing friends from fb doesn't have to be traumatic. All you ever have to say to anyone who asks is "I'm moving in new directions," and "I don't feel our interests are compatible," or nothing at all.

First thing you need to do is just set up filters.

I guess I should have titled the thread "I am annoyed by people who post religious comments on facebook" Of course I can opt not use facebook or block those people but since it was the "rants and replies" section its not so much that I'm seeking advice as it is me carrying out the "rant" aspect of the rant and reply forum. Until there is a filter on facebook by keyword where I can exclude post with praise, jesus, satan, etc the filters wont help since I do care about the non religious posts of these same people. But again, not seeking advice, just ranting. 

...said someone who was not suffering.

I used to think that to lose my faith would be the worst thing that could happen to me. Now that I have suffered for a decade, I have changed my mind.

Another thing--if God won't deliver us, but pharmaceutical agents will, is it wrong to find relief through, say, Ibuprofen or paracetamol? Or through antipsychotics? Or through an epidural to ease the pain of childbirth?

I AM SO GLAD THIS NO LONGER MAKES SENSE TO ME!happydance.gif

I would take the Edison approach. 

tumblr_macs2pOJaT1qbh26io1_500.png

wink.png

• Like 2

talked about how one of her kids was being crushed and kept saying that he couldnt breathe. Thats no way for a child to go out. That particular kid made it out but others weren't so lucky. If god is omnipotent, he is truly evil.. 

I was told for many years that death was the ultimate 'healing'. You cannot win. It will always come out to god's 'favor'.

• Like 4

For my sanity, I closed my FB account last year. As almost everyone in my history is a devout Christian, I just got tired of being constantly annoyed and pissed off by the posts there. Let me assure all you true believers...THERE IS LIFE AFTER FACEBOOK!!!

Like in the old days when we had to use telephones and snail mail.

And when we use to talk to the other people around the table during meals.

I despise Facebook.... I only have an account so I can keep track of some family members. I check it about once a month... and block/delete all the useless stuff when I'm there. I also have a couple of 'ex' friends there... blocked all the religious nuts except one who's kind of new age woo - but some of his stuff is inspirational, not offensive. and he writes his own poetry.

I do have a feed from 'Tattoos in the Workplace' that's a lot of fun though!  :D

Advice to parents... DON'T let your kids have a facebook account - it's a fucking NIGHTMARE when they are teenagers. (paying the price now  :(  )

Guest Babylonian Dream

Agree and disagree.  Facebook is a social phenomenon.  Yes, you can choose who your friends are and who aren't...but if you have a facebook page choose not to friend your religious relatives (and they are ALL on there), it can become an issue.  Mom and Aunt Mary want to know why you are ignoring them on facebook.  Much easier to just NOT have a facebook page as an excuse to avoid unnecessary conflict. 

I think facebook can be useful if you have a business or other needs to get information out to people regularly, but quite frankly for MOST people it is just a time-waster.  I don't think facebook is evil or bad, but you can easily stay in touch with the people who matter without it.  If you enjoy it great.  For me, the stress wasn't worth it.  I'm also not keen on some of the privacy issues.  But i'm not one who wants everything I do every day out there on the web.  To each their own.  I know people who have a much happier, healthier life without watching TV.  That doesn't mean everyone should follow suit.  But it is an option.

There's a feature now where you can choose whether or not to follow their posts. Click unfollow and unsubscribe, I'm sure they won't notice. Especially if you still haave them as friends.

I've done that, and no longer have to hear them grovelling at the Lard. Every now and then I do from ones that aren't as bad, but that I can deal with every once in a while.

I unfriended my own father-in-law because his posts were just a garbage pit of photo-shopped hoaxes and redneck/ homophobic/racist rants in the name of religion and patriotism. One day I saw a particularly vile comment he made in the newsfeed which ended with, "If you don't like this, unfriend me!"  So I did!!  I probably won't be taking a visit down there (ALABAMA) again except for his funeral.....

Anyway, yea - I've slowly either unfriended or hidden quite a few people.....but I will say this:  Without FB, I think I might still be trying to believe.  What opened my eyes was actually seeing religious relatives' and friends' posts which absolutely shocked me!  Even though I was a christian, I was a "liberal" christian.  I had no idea that people I knew felt that way!  I didn't realize the amount of hate and intolerance that was out there among so-called christians!  And denial of science!  And views on women and their right (or lack of) to their own bodies!  And homophobia!

On the positive side, I began to join pages that were secular/atheist/feminist/etc. I was exposed to the craziness to be found in the bible (which I already kind of thought, but didn't dare speak about).  I found that there were other people who felt the same way I did.  They (along with EX-C) have helped me know I am not alone, and have helped me deal with this new-found freedom of unbelief. 

So - yea - I still get totally pissed off by the stupidity I see....but maybe there are lots of others like me out there who will be turned off and ultimately turn against religion like I did...and that would be a very good thing...!  

• Like 2

I have to say that you can friend them but block their posts from your page. =) you hover over their name and hover over the friends button and then you change what shows up in your news feed, alternatively if they post a religious comment you can hide it and from there change what you see in your news feed from that person. I have done this myself and my family has no idea i cant see anything they post. also I joined a lot of great groups like the we love atheism group and others and it keeps the humor alive in my page, I also like fb because I can get info from the things like want to see like the science pages and great cooking ideas and other cool stuff.. FB doesn't have to be all about family and friends.. =) 

It was the night it dawned on me what “shit happens” means when I truly accepted what had become painfully evident a couple of weeks earlier: that I did not believe that there was any god out there.

Advice to parents... DON'T let your kids have a facebook account - it's a fucking NIGHTMARE when they are teenagers. (paying the price now  sad.png  )

But what better way for my sisters’ kids to find out that their uncle is an atheist? wink.png