R C Lost Status At Debate

R. S. Martin

Not sure where to post this. It's a 2 hour video of a debate on the topic: The Catholic Church is a force for good in the world.

Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry spoke against and people whose names I can't pronounce (a female English MP converted from Church of England to Catholic) and an Arch Bishop from Nigeria spoke for.

A vote was taken before the debate and again at the end. Here are the numbers:

BEFORE

For: 678

Against: 1102

Undecided: 346

AFTER

For: 268 (-20%)

Against: 1876 (+34%)

Undecided: 34 (-14%)

Stats are at Minute 1:56:27.

I think those numbers speak for themselves. I personally couldn't stand the MP woman. She ripped up the atheists with scathing indignation. I don't think that goes over too well these days, especially with young people and student populations. The African's accent was difficult to understand but he managed to defend and excuse the church in what I did understand. I thought he was okay for a Christian. My guess is it was the woman who turned the tide. She looked like she couldn't possibly understand the final vote. I felt that for once the Christians got what they had coming and SERVES THEM RIGHT!

It's Ann Widdecombe, I agree, she is very irritating a lot of the time!!! She was entertaining on Strictly Come Dancing, but I don't agree with her politics!!

I've been thinking her tactics might work for politics if she stands for things people believe in anyway. She's got fighting spirit and can make an impression. But when she's fighting for the Catholic church on the grounds that men are better priests and condoms are bad for society--she sets herself up to fail.

When asked what's the difference between a woman in politics and female priests she ridiculed the questioner for not knowing theology. Well help me! but isn't theology what a person fighting for the church should be prepared to teach? She did explain that only men could properly change bread and wine into the flesh and blood of Christ (transubstantiation). What she failed to explain was how human body parts had anything to do with this transubstantiation. I thought it was a miracle supposedly done by God. What limits God from working through a woman? No one asked and she did not explain. We were told she converted to Catholicism when the Anglican Church allowed women priests so I guess her convictions on this are deep and strong. Doesn't make it true or logical, though.

I think it helps explain the drop in the vote.

The thing that really cracked me up was the incredible change in the 'kind' bishop from the time he spoke of the miracle of his church until he was sitting, listening to Hitchens tear his comments apart, letter by letter. The face alone said it all - from a smiling saintly look to a vicious scowl. Classic! LOL

Well they say the truth hurts, right?

I didn't notice that but I believe it. At the end of his speech he asked: Can anyone still doubt that the Catholic Church is a force for good in the world? So yeah, I can see him scowling at Hitchens shredding everything he said.