Goodbye Jesus

The A-Bomb

JamesG

An by A-bomb I mean an atheist bomb. I propose a ridiculous idea for shits and giggles. We get like 10-30 atheists together and take over a Christian forum for a day.  Turn all discussions from religious topics to that of secular ones like sports or science or whatever =P then the following day we respond to not one single comment like a bomb we just vanish.

Lets make a hit list below =P smileybreasts.gif

While that may be fun, I sense a bitchslap on the horizon for you. The moderators (Nivek comes to mind specifically :P ) don't exactly like this forum getting involved in any kind of war with another forum. We've been through this before, to a degree, and while I admit it was good for a few giggles, overall the time and effort was wasted.

So if you really want to pull such a thing off, at the very least please recruit your troops via PM or such ;)

I am new to this kinda thing so good to know. wasn't thinking about saying negative things but just carrying on a plain and normal conversation about nothing in particular I wouldn't advocate antagonizing. Just something like hey did you catch the heat game last night?  and just ignore any and all religious comments of any kind. but since this is frowned upon I wont recruit here =D

Okay that approach might be okay. Better to check with the mods though :)

I am new to this kinda thing so good to know. wasn't thinking about saying negative things but just carrying on a plain and normal conversation about nothing in particular I wouldn't advocate antagonizing. Just something like hey did you catch the heat game last night?  and just ignore any and all religious comments of any kind. but since this is frowned upon I wont recruit here =D

Back in the day Usenet was all about that kind of trolling.  The result was a mess.  It got old very quick.  You learned to ignore 99% of the people.  If you do that a few Christians will get annoyed for a few minutes but nothing else will change.

It sounds pointless to do it and it's really nothing but childish nonsense to go and do that. If I'm going to annoy Christians with some puns mocking their religion, I would very much prefer to do it when I'm surrounded by non-believers, without the intention of annoying Christians, but no matter where I am, at least one Christian will hear it, become annoyed, and tell all of the others what a horrible person I am for making jokes about Yahweh smoking weed with Baal and Moloch.

Christian forums; I try to avoid those places because I know that if I go there, I will see something that is obvious nonsense and feel like I need to say something about it and risk angering a bunch of people, unintentionally, because of some knee-jerk reaction I had to something a Christian posted on a Christian forum. If Christians are ever to see that atheists can be moral people without their god, then it's up to me and other atheists to show them by not trolling their forums.

• Like 1

It sounds pointless to do it and it's really nothing but childish nonsense to go and do that. If I'm going to annoy Christians with some puns mocking their religion, I would very much prefer to do it when I'm surrounded by non-believers, without the intention of annoying Christians, but no matter where I am, at least one Christian will hear it, become annoyed, and tell all of the others what a horrible person I am for making jokes about Yahweh smoking weed with Baal and Moloch.

Christian forums; I try to avoid those places because I know that if I go there, I will see something that is obvious nonsense and feel like I need to say something about it and risk angering a bunch of people, unintentionally, because of some knee-jerk reaction I had to something a Christian posted on a Christian forum. If Christians are ever to see that atheists can be moral people without their god, then it's up to me and other atheists to show them by not trolling their forums.

This. No matter how reasonable the argument is,if people feel like they are being attacked they will not listen. A-bombing them will only prove, in their mind, that the argument of the athiest and skeptics are that of trolls. Go in with a genuine desire for discussion would probably go over a little better, and may at least plant a seed of doubt. 

If Christians are ever to see that atheists can be moral people without their god, then it's up to me and other atheists to show them by not trolling their forums.

^Which leads to an entirely different angle. 

Imagine showing up on Christian forums and criticizing their immorality while taking the moral high ground on any given issue as an outspoken atheist. Perhaps get something going about gays and watch the hatred start to rise. Then calmly criticize the immorality involved in, well, hating that which you perceive as immoral. You know, really fuck with their heads.

Maybe even turn the other cheek when the Christians attack you throughout all of this, you know, as an atheist. Out Christian the Christians as a non-Christian. I do this quite often in real life and it does fuck with people. A group of atheists doing something like this would be interesting. What really fucks with their heads is when you act very sorry for them as if they are the lost and you are the saved, by you knowing the truth and truth setting you free. 

I don't like militant atheists. They are worse than militant Muslims, Christians, and Jews.  Children, all.

I don't like militant atheists. They are worse than militant Muslims, Christians, and Jews.  Children, all.

Uh no.

A militant atheist uses words the way a normal Christian uses words.

A militant Christian uses bombs and rifles.

A militant Muslim uses suicide bombs and hijacked planes.

• Like 1

I think it would be far more effective to jut completely transform the conversation away from religion and being very careful not to upset them on religious grounds. It would be far more frustrating for them if they didn't understand what was going on. That way they cant shift the blame onto any individual group. If they bring up any religious topic just ignore them entirely and continue discussing video games or something. In no way do you deride religion in fact support religion in any response this will further confuse them not allowing them to latch on to a particular subject to hate. Use group polarization theory to your advantage if they push to one side push with them not against them other wise you just reinforce their position.

Uh no.

I was wrong in my post. I should have said "they are as bad as"...

Uh no.

If the OP suggested using words in the innocent way that we are using words right here, fine.

But to want to gather together a gang of 10 to 30 atheists to "atheist bomb" a Christian website for a day in order to "take it over",  just for the purpose of causing it harm?  

That's militant atheism in my opinion, MM, and it's no different than the others you mention in it's objective. 

Uh no.

If the OP suggested using words in the innocent way that we are using words right here, fine.

But to want to gather together a gang of 10 to 30 atheists to "atheist bomb" a Christian website for a day in order to "take it over",  just for the purpose of causing it harm?  

That's militant atheism in my opinion, MM, and it's no different than the others you mention in it's objective. 

Bombing other websites is pointless.  Thousands of Christians recently tried that to r/atheism and it was barely noticeable.  I can't imagine how many hours they all wasted at it.  Oh they tricked a couple of people into visiting some other site.  Life continued right along.  The only real change that was made was some moderation was added.  If that was a Christian victory then I have to say "whatever".

I also do not condone mocking Christians who are minding their own business.  If a Christian is trying to put a guilt trip on somebody or shame them then it's okay to open a can of logic on them.  But we shouldn't bully believers who are just living their lives.

I make it a point to never intentionally disrupt a church service.  The purpose of a Church service is religion so people have a right to do their thing.  However a close family member of the deceased has the right to shut down believers if any of them disrespect a funeral.  Pat Tillman's brother did that and he had every right to stop that circus.  Likewise if the survivors are believers then atheists should be respectful and tread lightly.

Atheists are a diverse lot defined only by something they all don't do.  So of course it turns out that a few atheists also happen to be jerks.  I think most atheists want to be decent people.  

Uh no.

Bombing other websites is pointless.  Thousands of Christians recently tried that to r/atheism and it was barely noticeable.  I can't imagine how many hours they all wasted at it.  Oh they tricked a couple of people into visiting some other site.  Life continued right along.  The only real change that was made was some moderation was added.  If that was a Christian victory then I have to say "whatever".

I also do not condone mocking Christians who are minding their own business.  If a Christian is trying to put a guilt trip on somebody or shame them then it's okay to open a can of logic on them.  But we shouldn't bully believers who are just living their lives.

I make it a point to never intentionally disrupt a church service.  The purpose of a Church service is religion so people have a right to do their thing.  However a close family member of the deceased has the right to shut down believers if any of them disrespect a funeral.  Pat Tillman's brother did that and he had every right to stop that circus.  Likewise if the survivors are believers then atheists should be respectful and tread lightly.

Atheists are a diverse lot defined only by something they all don't do.  So of course it turns out that a few atheists also happen to be jerks.  I think most atheists want to be decent people.  

I don't know about the atheist forum, but I'll take your word for it. I'd heard of Pat Tillman, but not his funeral so I went and read up on it a bit.

I have to say I agree with you 100%.