Goodbye Jesus

So, Something That I Remembered.

Hunter93

I'm just gonna come out of the closet. I am a fan of the Japanese franchise Pokemon. Have been for years. What does this have to do with anything Christian related?

Well, the kid who preached to me in fall of 2010. He said because of Pokemon(or the games rather) caused him to be demon possessed or something like that. There is a small, but vocal, group of Christians who believe Pokemon is evil/demonic/of Satan/whatever you want to call it. I just HAD to encounter one of them. But even as a Christian, I thought that was BS. Now, it's still very popular but the prime of the franchise(at least for the U.S.) was 1998(when the first games came out) to 2003(where it had a very sharp decline in fans). That's where I feel most of this BS. was spewed. Obviously, it's still out there. But this example I found....not sure if trolling or serious as I heard some interesting things about this site: http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=35776

You can also do a Google search as well to find articles on the "evils" of Pokemon. Because you know the motto: "I don't like this so it's obviously from Satan".

Again, very, very few actually believe this and it's probably just another scare tactic+probably a great deal of ignorance(how surprising).

And of course, it's other franchises too. Yu-Gi-Oh, Harry Potter, Dungeon & Dragons, etc to name a few. Even saw an article once saying that Spongebob was evil or something stupid like that.

That forum discussion you linked is weird.  I can't tell whether those people believe all the crap they are spewing or if they are being facetous.  They used racial slurs, were anti-gay in a vile and disgusting fashion, and then I stopped reading.  That alone should convince you that they are full of it and their fear of all things Pokeman is ridiculous.

• Like 1

If memory serves Landover Baptist is a mock site.  They essentially take the worst of BACs and take it to 11. 

They're like the Onion.

If memory serves Landover Baptist is a mock site.  They essentially take the worst of BACs and take it to 11. 

They're like the Onion.

That would explain those posts.  I knew it seemed rather outlandish.

That is not to say that there aren't some real christians on there thinking it is a legit site.   It would just be hard to tell. 

Yeah, that's what I came across when googling it.

But mock or not, it doesn't change the fact that there are Christians out there who do believe it.

Years ago, when the internet was just starting to become functional and popular, many Christians were telling people it was without question the work of the Devil.

They claimed www stood for World Wide Web and that web was spun by Satan himself.

However, once they realized how it could be used as a tool to evangelize and indoctrinate others, they quickly changed their tune, declaring that God was doing amazing things to advance his kingdom.

In other words, it was actually God that created the internet.

These people will say and do anything if it serves their agenda.

• Like 1

not to mention being about 5-6 years behind the times.

http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.4227199/k.47DE/Dungeons_and_Dragons_and_FRPGs.htm

Boom this is something I put in my favorites because its funny as hell but this is not a fake soooo. Yeah RPGs teach you magic and how to raise demons battle.gif

A satanic video game created by a culture that doesn't believe in the Devil? I think others call it satanic because it was created by non-white people.

• Like 1

But like I said, most Christians don't believe that Pokemon is evil. The ones who do are more vocal. Heck, even among the fundies, it's still probably a low number.

And yeah, when I was a Christian, I understood(and still do) that Japan isn't big on Christianity.

The Assemblies of God hates Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonball Z and all anime. They are a pretty big organisation. They are one of the kookier churches.

The Assemblies of God hates Pokemon, Digimon, Dragonball Z and all anime. They are a pretty big organisation. They are one of the kookier churches.

You mean this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assemblies_of_God

It's very realistic that church members don't agree with their pastors on stuff like this but they hide it for obvious reasons though.

For instance, I never told the kid who preached to me that I liked Pokemon.

Yes, them. I was a former member of that church. I was a Royal Ranger for crying out loud.

You don't think churchs like that have members with doubts but don't say anything?

Probably. It was just the authorities like my Royal Ranger commander who voiced such an opinion.

And beliefs like that made it very hard for me to trust other Christians.

I was very surprised to discover that my sister-in-law believes that "Wicked", the musical play that was a satire on "The Wizard of Oz", in which the bad witch turns out to be good, was from the devil. I

thought: Am I going out of my mind or is she? It was a fun play and my wife and I loved it. How crazy cana religion be before the faithful realize it? I guess the sky is the limit. bill

My parents once condemned the Disney channel movie Twitches for having witches in it.

To me, some of them just slap "it's evil" under anything they don't like. And if it's a pastor, who's gonna question them in church?

Jersey Shore is satanic. I knew it.

Everything is satanic, the world is satanic, the trees are satanic, your underwear is satanic, the clouds are satanic, we're all going to die!ukliam2.gif

• Like 1

Still more logical than a bunch of stuff that's considered "evil".
  • Like 1

http://www.probe.org/site/c.fdKEIMNsEoG/b.4227199/k.47DE/Dungeons_and_Dragons_and_FRPGs.htm

Boom this is something I put in my favorites because its funny as hell but this is not a fake soooo. Yeah RPGs teach you magic and how to raise demons battle.gif

It mentions the Time Eating Monster. Isn't thinking about Jesus all day or reading the bible or going to church a time eating monster?

not to mention being about 5-6 years behind the times.

Landover Baptist is a well-known parody site. So, of course, some of the christian fads that are being made fun of there tend to be behind the times -- simply because it would have taken some time for a specific fad (e.g., believing that Pokemon is demonic) to develop and reach critical mass where it is recognized as a christian meme.