Goodbye Jesus

Anno Domini

Liesbet

Been "googling" the origins of Anno Domini and all I get is basically the meaning of it. Can anybody tell me who, where, when decided on this method of combining some form of calendar? It stands for The Year of The Lord. What influenced this decision?

Been "googling" the origins of Anno Domini and all I get is basically the meaning of it. Can anybody tell me who, where, when decided on this method of combining some form of calendar? It stands for The Year of The Lord. What influenced this decision?

The Gregorian calender maybe? There was a Catholic Pope Gregory I think.

The Gregorian calender maybe? There was a Catholic Pope Gregory I think.

Pope Gregory and his eponymous calendar came a thousand years after the Anno Domini system, and therefore could not have influenced it. The Anno Domini system was basically a resetting of the Julian/AUC calendar, which had the year at exactly 365¼ days. The Gregorian calendar is a correction to the Julian/A.D. calendar with a more accurate assumption of 365 97/400 days per year.

The reason for resetting the Julian calendar was that Dionysius Exiguus considered the birth of Jesus to be a better starting year than the founding of Rome. (You probably already know that Dionysius erred in his calculation, but that is irrelevant to this discussion.)