Goodbye Jesus

Let's Speculate For A Moment...

LifeCycle

I'm listening to an interview about Apocalypse Later, a movie about Harold Camping. According to the filmmaker, Camping hasn't even repented or believes he was wrong. Instead, he's focused on "Why did God make me do this? It must be for a reason." Sounds familiar? I think even the shadiest of Christians will do incredible mental gymnastics to rationalize their actions with their beliefs. "If I fall and repent publicly and it brings more people to Jesus, then it was worth it" sort of rationalization. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqHVSGAl6uM

I don't know about Tilton.  But about 15 years ago I met Benny Hinn personally and had dinner with him.  I kind of thought he was full of shit (at least his miracles), but after spending a couple hours with him, I'm pretty sure HE believed it all.  I think some of these guys are MASSIVE hypocrites, I don't want to be dogmatic because I don't know each one.  But while hypocritical, I do think most of them believe their own delusions.

I don't know about Tilton.  But about 15 years ago I met Benny Hinn personally and had dinner with him.  I kind of thought he was full of shit (at least his miracles), but after spending a couple hours with him, I'm pretty sure HE believed it all.  I think some of these guys are MASSIVE hypocrites, I don't want to be dogmatic because I don't know each one.  But while hypocritical, I do think most of them believe their own delusions.

My grandfather's pastor appeared extremely sincere.  Far more so than Hinn.  But then he went and wrote a book about angels visiting him and taking him to heaven in the middle of the night.  These angels gave him various prophesies regarding the world and the people in the church.  In the book he described heaven in detail and claimed hundreds of prophesies had been fulfilled in the lives of his members.

http://www.angelsonassignment.org/index2.html

Some people are just really good at wearing sincere and fooling others.  If this guy was genuinely sincere, then he was victim of a stroke or a mental breakdown.  But then he'd still have to explain how he suddenly mastered the cold-reading technique with the prophesies and revelations he started receiving in his later years.  Likewise, his daughter, who quickly followed in his footsteps. 

As the title of the thread says, we are speculating.  Whether they actually believe or are just con men, most are still total shits as human  beings in my book.

Ohhhh yeah, All smiles Joel Osteen.  Nobody behaves that way all the time.  Maybe he really does have Jesus in his heart.

Nope. That kind of permanent smile is from the millions of dollars he just has to ask people for and they give it to him! That even makes me smile...

• Like 1

Stop reading my posts and telling my parents. This site is supposed to be confidential. You're a jerk and a jack ass whoever you are. Thanks also for hurting my folks. Good Christian actions. NOT.

• Like 1

Popoff is still on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7BQKu0YP8Y

Wow.  I'm surprised God allows him to continue to work in the ministry.  I'm sure others have found out his ruse which caused them to backslide or worse yet, stop believing. 

You all should watch that Marjoe Gortner documentary if you haven't.  If you just watch the first 2 minutes, you'll be sucked in for the rest.

• Super Moderator

Hinn learned the tricks of the trade from Kathryn Kuhlman. One investigator of Kuhlman (I think it was Nolan) concluded that she really believed she was healing people, as she was very naive and had no understanding of psychogenic disorders and the power of suggestion. She provided wheelchairs for those who didn't have their own (and obviously didn't need them) and some of her cancer cures are documented as dying shortly after being healed. I wonder how she could not know she was a phony.

Hinn literally worships Kuhlman, and I don't know if he is aware or actually performing trickery. Perhaps he's convinced he has the gift, as the one investigator claims was the case with Kuhlman. Still, I think those who claim to be healers of any kind should be held accountable as medical doctors are.

Hinn learned the tricks of the trade from Kathryn Kuhlman. One investigator of Kuhlman (I think it was Nolan) concluded that she really believed she was healing people, as she was very naive and had no understanding of psychogenic disorders and the power of suggestion. She provided wheelchairs for those who didn't have their own (and obviously didn't need them) and some of her cancer cures are documented as dying shortly after being healed. I wonder how she could not know she was a phony.

Hinn literally worships Kuhlman, and I don't know if he is aware or actually performing trickery. Perhaps he's convinced he has the gift, as the one investigator claims was the case with Kuhlman. Still, I think those who claim to be healers of any kind should be held accountable as medical doctors are.

Yeah, I remember her being mentioned many times by my family.  Even stuff like, "a cloud would form above her."  And them saying she would say, "Do not grieve the holy spirit"  or something like that... All this spiritual mumbo-jumbo.

The more into my deconversion I get, the more I'm likely to believe that few are naive of their antics while most are outright scammers.

You know for as smart as my wife is she is the most gullible person I know. she always falls hook line and sinker for this stuff not just xtianity. Eastern healing an that sort of stuff as well. Some people just want to believe which makes these guys all that much easier. Thank the great FSM for James Randy and the Randy foundation I think that has helped  her break loose from her belief in psychics