Goodbye Jesus

Is It Possible To Be A Theist But Not Religious?

Hunter93

Just something I was wondering.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Yeah, I think it's possible. Religion requires dogma and Theism just requires that you believe in a god, but you can believe in one without dogma.

• Like 1

Religion is defined as: Noun

The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

So I would say belief in itself would not constitute religion without worship. Sounds closer to Deism.

Yes, if you are not a part of an organized religion.  If you have practices, observe ceremonies, have written precepts, texts, have a leader of some kind, to me its a religion.

You can certainly have an idea of God and not be religious.

I agree with others who have noted it would seem to be possible to be a Theist and also not be religious. I also agree with the poster who noted that the concept of nonreligious Theism is probably more likely a form of Deism. I tend to think some form of mystic spirituality, which would include some forms of Deism, may be a possible alternative to Theism and/or traditional religion.

Yes I think it is. Deism rejects all the dogma of a religion but still claims a belief in one god that created the world.

Yes I think it is. Deism rejects all the dogma of a religion but still claims a belief in one god that created the world.

Yes and no. That depends on how the word God and Deism is defined. Pandeist and pantheist would tend to view the universe/nature and god as being one and the same thing. The original version of Deism was a form of supernatural theism, but modern versions of Deism such as pandeism/pantheism tend to reject the concepts associated with supernatural theism; in other words the idea that God is separate and apart from the universe. In the Pan versions of Deism/Theism God didn't create the universe God is the universe and is part of everything that exists.

I don't view Deism, in any of its modern forms, as a religion per se because there is no dogma, beliefs, rituals, or traditions. There is no supernatural element so there is nothing to pray to. I see Deism as a form of mystic spirituality.

Because it is all made up, I think anyone can be anything they want. Infact, I think I might be a sdfhksfn kasjdf today. smile.png   

I often ask myself the opposite question: is it possible to be religious without being a theist.  I practice Hinduism because it's what I grew up with and connects me with my culture (I'm otherwise entirely Americanized).  Not sure I really believe in God though.  Honestly I think that your case is the more common one; I know many who believe in God but aren't religious.  To me, at least religion is concrete and tangible.  There are things you can do, and rituals you can participate in.  Belief in God, on the other hand, seems entirely too nebulous and ill-defined for me.

On a sidenote, this is why I consider evangelical Christianity a joke of a religion.  Evangelicals gut religion of rituals and practices, and define religiosity on an ethereal conception of your state of mind, i.e. "where your heart is" with respect to Jesus.

• Like 1