Goodbye Jesus

Being Forced To Go To Church Would Be Worse Than.......

RachelSkates

The thought of being forced to attend church because of family ties, social obligations, etc would be very odious to me indeed. 

It is not just that it is boring. It's the tremendously emotional responses, the faking, the lies, the scary and sickening ways in which it illustrates people will believe anything, the memories. 

I was thinking of things I endured over my life and how much church has been one of the worst! So I thought I would start this thread:

Being forced to go to church would be worse than  having to marry my ex  BF even though he is married with kids. Eeck. And a scumbag, 

...worse than being forced to sit next to Justin Bieber for a whole season of watching the Heat play Wendytwitch.gif

I still have to go because I am not ready to tell my boyfriend.

Worse than than having to pee really bad on a car trip and the next restroom is 50 miles away...

• Like 1

worse than prison...ok maybe not. :-)

Being forced to go to church isn't so bad.  It's not being allowed to laugh that is the bad part.

• Like 6

I go on the big Holidays, easter and christmas because my Mom is worship director, so it's for her since she puts a lot of work into the worship part of the service. However, that does not mean I enjoy the bullshit thrown at me from the pulpit. I about ready to punch something at the easter service when the pastor pulled the whole, oh xians are so persecuted because they can't say anything about homosexuality. And then he said a little girl who stole and a terrorist who killed people will both go to hell for not accepting jesus. because you know those are the exact same things. My sister was elbowing me in the ribs until finally we both went to the ladies room and proceeded to make fun of the sermon until it was over.

Mostly when I go to church now i sit there bored and doodle. I should just make notes of all the stupid things I hear to keep from being bored.

My grandfather is a Baptist Minister of a small church in Alabama when I visit I go to watch him preach. Sometimes it makes those that you love feel supported even if you don't believe. really it wouldn't hurt you to do this for your grandparents after all its not like you are going to re-convert because of it. personally graduations are boring as hell and are just glorified picture ops so just treat it as such.

Probably worse than sitting through a Taylor Swift concert, but not as bad as a Miley Cyrus concert.

Being forced to recite the creed, now that would be worse than sitting through the Spice Girls and the Beastie Boys singing at the same time.

Last year, I surprised my mom by going to church for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. I did it because I knew that her faith and her marriage within the context of that faith were very important to her. I am happy that I was able to make her day, and I have no regrets. (Not so important for my dad, who cannot remember from one hour to the next that I don't go to church any more.)

This year, the church secretary is grilling me about not attending the mass for their 51st anniversary. Time to clarify some boundaries!

I suppose I might add that I never go to church on Christmas or Easter. That would send a message that I am a lukewarm Christian, a thought that I do not want my former parishioners to entertain. Do not call me a lapsed Catholic; I am a damned apostate, dammit!

• Like 3

Yes, I agree. I would go for a dear family member. Not being an Xer means one does not actually have to be an A hole anymore! I tried not to be, but I bet I really was one when I was an Xer. I hope I never hurt anyone with stupid logic 

worse than sitting through the Spice Girls and the Beastie Boys singing at the same time.

OMFG!!!!!!   NOON8642CustomImage0569057.gif

Worse than trying to re-figure out sine/cosine/tangent after having forgotten trigonometry. Worse than starving in a moving car in 99 degree heat and having a monstrous headache, all at once.

Worse than than having to pee really bad on a car trip and the next restroom is 50 miles away...

I don't know, being in the car in that kind of situation sounds worse than church, in my opinion, but maybe for you being forced to go to church really would be worse.

Now it's my turn.

Being forced to go to church would be worse than eating a spoonful of peanut butter. I know most people would say that this is a terrible comparison, but I absolutely hate the stuff. It's the worst flavor I have ever experienced in my life, so far. I hate it so much that it is pretty close to being as bad as being forced to go to church, but I would rather eat that stuff and torment my taste buds than be forced to go to church.

Although if it came down to it and I was forced to choose, the debate going on in my head would be seemingly endless. Depending on the church, I might pick church, but if it's an extreme fundy church, I'd pick the peanut butter.

Being forced to go to church would be worse than eating a spoonful of peanut butter. I know most people would say that this is a terrible comparison, but I absolutely hate the stuff. It's the worst flavor I have ever experienced in my life, so far. I hate it so much that it is pretty close to being as bad as being forced to go to church, but I would rather eat that stuff and torment my taste buds than be forced to go to church.

Beets. I find beets so horrid that I can lose my appetite just espying someone else spoon beets onto their plate. Give me a 3-hour church service any day over beets!

Oh, I shouldn't have written this. I don't feel so well.

Open at your own risk.

I'll spare you and not tell you what I had for lunch today.

My grandfather is a Baptist Minister of a small church in Alabama when I visit I go to watch him preach. Sometimes it makes those that you love

feel supported even if you don't believe. really it

wouldn't hurt you to do this for your

grandparents after all its not like you are going

to re-convert because of it. personally

graduations are boring as hell and are just

glorified picture ops so just treat it as such.

Should this go in the Baccalaureate thread? If yes, then thanks.

Being forced to go to church is worse than having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

It's worse than eating a large bowl of cold grits without the saving grace of even a tiny pat of butter. 

It's worse than high school with social anxiety. 

Pouring rubbing alcohol on a gaping wound.

I don't know, being in the car in that kind of situation sounds worse than church, in my opinion, but maybe for you being forced to go to church really would be worse.

Now it's my turn.

Although if it came down to it and I was forced to choose, the debate going on in my head would be seemingly endless. Depending on the church, I might pick church, but if it's an extreme fundy church, I'd pick the peanut butter.

That's my point, too. Not all churches are the same.

In fact, I didn't know church was all that bad. There's so many worse things in life--such as nasty people living in my home telling me how to live every facet of my daily and nightly life. I'd much rather go to church every Sunday than share my home with a douche bag.