Goodbye Jesus

The Truth About Believers

Fweethawt

The following is a tidbit from the book 'Honest Man's Philosophy'. ------

Now look at the word "believer.” When this word was first used in the English language, it was made up out of three older small words and it meant to "be a lie lover.” "Belie" was the first usage of this new word in English.

According to Webster's International and the Oxford English dictionaries, the root words that make up the word "believer" and "belief" still retains its true meaning. These two root words make up the word "belie.” That word is still correctly used and means to misrepresent in action and deed, or to tell a lie. Add the "f" to "belie" and you have "belief," which meant, to Accept the misrepresentation (or lie) as though it were the truth. Originally, the "f" was written to designate the word "for" and meant, "to be For the lie, to accept, or to agree with the lie.” The word was first written in early English as "belief 'r.” This word was then divided into two words. One was shortened to (belief') later, to just “belief” as we have it now, and it Still literally means, to "be for the lie,” or to "be in favor of the lie." The other division added the “ver” (the shortened form of lover) to form the word “Believer.” Thus, we have “belief,” which is to be for the lie, and “believer,” or one who accepts, loves and defends the lie as though it were the truth.

Today the religious tell us the word Believer is a good word. The Clear Thinkers say the word still means Exactly what it did when it was first made up out of three old commonly used early English words, that is, anyone who will still "be a lie lover.”

• Like 3

Well put.  And faith means "assume".  

While this is an ironic and interesting bit of trivia, I'd avoid delving too deeply into etymology.  Personally the last thing I want to do is argue strawmen with Christians.  The modern definition of belief as intellectual assent, subscription to a philosophy, etc. is what evangelicals have in mind.  This is certainly humorous, but I don't know that I'd personally bother pointing it out to an evangelical in a debate.

• Super Moderator

Interesting to learn the history behind the word because ever since I can remember, when I've seen the word "believe" I see the word "lie" right smack-dab in the middle.   

A close family member (a True BelieverTM) often wears a t-shirt with an inscription that looks something like this:

BELIEVE

and I have to suppress the giggles whenever I'm around her when she wears it.