Goodbye Jesus

"revival"

Chikirin

Revivals are probably the point at which Christians are at their weakest, and probably closest to losing their faiths. They are itching to see something actually happen supernaturally, they know that the bible says they will do greater things than Jesus. So how come they aren't? Honest ones can't help but wonder. "Revival" is the excuse that provides the answer. 'God is real and alive and moving today, but we don't see it because we need revival.' This buys them additional time.

Its like Christians know deep down their religion doesn't work, otherwise why would they need to keep asking God to send revival? He already sent Jesus, then the Holy Spirit, but he still needs to begged to send additional stimulus? "Revive us oh Lord"really means "Oh please God don't just be a figment of our imaginations." 

I'm used to christians not thinking revival was about them at all... it's about converting other people, about getting the entire country (yes, USA) right with god, about going back to that mythological golden age when everything was right with the world and gays didn't exist and no one got abortions and crime was down because good christians are moral people and everyone voted republican. They're absolutely convinced that every social, political, and economic issue in the country would magically go away if the country was united in performing rituals to the correct deity. So instead of getting involved politically or trying to figure out ways to combat poverty and social issues, they pour all their effort into revivals and blame everything they dislike about kids these days on the lack of state sponsored religion. It's so much easier than realizing that in the real world, sometimes you have to work hard and make compromises and do the best you can, even though it will never be enough to create utopia.

• Like 1

I saw revival as a way to hold church every night for a week and pass the offering plate around. God doesn't pour out revival unless you give until it hurts.

For many, I believe, the revival is about feeling the over load of emotions the preachers cause. It's

their "high". Then they go home and everything is the same. bill

I've seen "revivals" in the Assemblies of God a number of times. All this means is that the worship team sings a few more songs, people yell louder and speak in tongues more, everyone prays longer so you don't get to go out to lunch until 2:30 PM, the pastor yells louder during his sermons, and people from other churches stop by to join in the fun. Some people claimed they had their silver fillings replaced with gold fillings and other neat things happen, but they could never actually provide physical evidence of such. I've never seen big crowds of the "unsaved" have their lives turned around by these things, either; they only seem to have any effect on those that already believed.