Goodbye Jesus

My Co-Workers/friends Are Christians.

Dangerman73

I'm an atheist and I'm working on the local sporting arena doing peanut bagging. I made some friends at work but I've found out that they're Christians. I feel that I'm outnumbered. Can anyone help?

How did you find out that they were Christians? If it's because they tried to convert you or can't talk about anything except Christianity, be friendly at work but look elsewhere for new friends and don't get emotionally entangled with them. If it was something tangentially mentioned, treat it like you just found out that they like a sport or music genre that you dislike. If you were the one who brought up religion, drop it and appreciate that you can make friends who aren't identical to you.

• Like 3

Trust the clara she gave good advice. Also a huge chunk of the population holds religius beliefs youll eventually have to learn how to make friends with them

That was really good advice, Clara.

• Super Moderator

We're all outnumbered. I am very good friends with some Christians, others I'm better off avoiding.

How did you find out that they were Christians? If it's because they tried to convert you or can't talk about anything except Christianity, be friendly at work but look elsewhere for new friends and don't get emotionally entangled with them. If it was something tangentially mentioned, treat it like you just found out that they like a sport or music genre that you dislike. If you were the one who brought up religion, drop it and appreciate that you can make friends who aren't identical to you.

When of one them ask me to put up her radio, I just took it out of her backpack, then the radio's CD cover accidentally opened up, and I saw this Christian music CD without her noticing me seeing it. Days later I overheard both co-workers conversation that they went to a Christian church (with one of those pastors you use to see on TV) and I got a little nervous, though I've kept working and tried to ignore it. Good advice Clara.

It's not so much whether a friend is Xtian as what kind of Xtian he is. If a Xtian tries to

convert you more than once, I avoid him. I will tell him when he tries the first time that my beliefs are

different and private. With that approach it doesn't take long to find out if he is going to be a pain in the ass. But there are many christians who don't wear their religion on their sleeve. They can be good

friends. bill

I have a Christian friend and she is fine with me not being a Christian. She did try to convert me when I was having a hard time with things, perhaps trying to see if the Christian path will help me as it did her. I respect her for trying and appreciate her good intentions. Thankfully she does respect me exploring other spiritual paths. I think she is hoping I'll come to the path of Christianity, but she is not pushy about this. As long as she respects my choices I'll respect hers as well and continue being her friend.

No one is going to agree 100% on anything, because life is all about giving and taking. The trick is to not let others use you as a doormat. As long as they are respecting you and not being pushy I would follow Clara's advice and treat is as a sports team you dislike.  We are going to run across Christians, they are the majority and not all of them are assholes. Most of them are decent people trying to live a good life, but they just so happen to believe in Christ and probably haven't looked too deeply into their theology. As long as they aren't being pushy or hostile towards you, I think it is worth giving them a chance.