Goodbye Jesus

Why The Fuck Is Exc Becoming Like The Druge And Huffington Post?

LivingLife

Ummm, no thanks.

It's not that easy to start a topic that is not only interesting, but also elicits responses. Even so, even during a forum "slump" I think most people can find something of interest around here. Certain topics appeal to a small minority while others have a more broad appeal. Things are always changing.

Start some interesting topics, people! Create some polls! Entertain us!!!

I'm always scared I'm going to create the stupidest topic ever! I will try to start up some new topics, though. Maybe some polls.  Things seems pretty cool around here to me but I'm still relatively new and don't know what the forum was like a couple years ago. 

Well, if you create a topic and it ever turns out to be the stupidest ever (which it very likely will not), the first reply you get may likely be stupider than the topic. wink.png

• Like 1

I can understand the need for it when you first deconvert, but personally arguing with xians is about as exciting to me as arguing with a box of rocks.  The box of rocks might even have a logical edge.

It occurs to me that politics and other off topic subjects that get discussed around here are a natural companion to ex christians.  The same kind of lies, disinformation and poor logic that traps people in religion also traps much of society into policy positions and political persuasions.  Once you start to peel the onion of misinformation you've been fed your entire life, many tend to just keep right on peeling as they encounter more layers. 

I can understand the need for it when you first deconvert, but personally arguing with xians is about as exciting to me as arguing with a box of rocks.  The box of rocks might even have a logical edge.

It occurs to me that politics and other off topic subjects that get discussed around here are a natural companion to ex christians.  The same kind of lies, disinformation and poor logic that traps people in religion also traps much of society into policy positions and political persuasions.  Once you start to peel the onion of misinformation you've been fed your entire life, many tend to just keep right on peeling as they encounter more layers. 

I see it pretty much the same way.  My political deconversion followed much the same process as religious deconversions people post here.  My religious deconversion was at such a young age that it didn't really follow the standard pattern.

Personally I do wish there were more christians posting here- they're fun to troll once in a while, though I'm not interested in really engaging them very often.  I don't mean this in a pointing-fingers sense, as I don't feel strongly about it one way or the other... but I think it's worth noting that we have actually banned quite a few christians over the years.  Usually it's when the discussion becomes inane, drags on forever, when they behave like jackasses, etc.  Personally I'd prefer to give them A LOT of leeway to make asses of themselves, and I'd prefer to ban them only if they're some kind of legal liability to the site.  IMO, letting christians make asses of themselves is THE most effective demonstration of what christianity is really all about.

As for the political discussion- I can see how people would find it irritating.  But like Florduh said- we've got to discuss SOMETHING.  And there really aren't many christians to debate lately.  I mean hell, we keep most of it confined to two sections of the forum- it should be easy enough to avoid.  Maybe it'd be better to have a dedicated news/politics section like ExC had in days of ole'- so that people who don't want to see my and BO's troll-fests could just avoid that one section.  But I really do enjoy discussing politics and the like around here- people on this site have a combination of skepticism, intelligence, and perspective that you just can't find anywhere else.  IMO nobody can see through the bullshit in our society quite like an apostate.

But I really do enjoy discussing politics and the like around here- people on this site have a combination of skepticism, intelligence, and perspective that you just can't find anywhere else.  IMO nobody can see through the bullshit in our society quite like an apostate.

Exactly.  Try having the same types of discussions on Drudge or Huffpo that we have around here and you'll find it's like having a discussion about xianity with xians on CARM or the like.  I'd personally rather chew nails. 

I'm always scared I'm going to create the stupidest topic ever! I will try to start up some new topics, though. Maybe some polls.  Things seems pretty cool around here to me but I'm still relatively new and don't know what the forum was like a couple years ago.

Don't EVER be afraid to create the "stupidest topic ever" around here. Most all of the stupidest topics created here at exc have generated tons of response and have been some of the most fun threads in this place.

As far as what it was like a handful of years ago --- we had members that not only connected here on the site, but a large number of us connected on a more personal and even intimate level outside of exc.

Most all of which happened due to some of the stupidest topics ever.

Don't be afraid. Throw'em out there and see what happens. :-)

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
 IMO nobody can see through the bullshit in our society quite like an apostate.

That's for sure!   It seems as though (at least in my RL experience) whenever I meet someone who has fallen for any kind of bullshit, I soon discover they are True BelieversTM of the funny-mentalist/evangelical type who think believe they have the inside scoop and know EVERYTHING.   WendyDoh.gif 

Don't EVER be afraid to create the "stupidest topic ever" around here. Most all of the stupidest topics created here at exc have generated tons of response and have been some of the most fun threads in this place.

As far as what it was like a handful of years ago --- we had members that not only connected here on the site, but a large number of us connected on a more personal and even intimate level outside of exc.

Most all of which happened due to some of the stupidest topics ever.

Don't be afraid. Throw'em out there and see what happens. :-)

Agreed.

One thing to keep in mind is that lots of us have been discussing, debating, and trolling each other for YEARS.  BO and I can get downright brutal in a debate, but we actually get along quite well behind the scenes.  Same is true of me and Nivek.  And (the now banned) Legion.  We really don't get out the big guns in a debate until we get to know people.  Well, except for christians- they're fair game.

This might surprise some people, but I found this crowd pretty intimidating back when I started lurking here in 2003.  I lurked for about a year before I posted much.  Since I started posting regularly in 2004, I've never been made to feel stupid for starting a discussion.  Now I HAVE had my ass kicked in several debates- no need to name any names, but most are still regulars here and they know who they are.  But I can't help but respect that.  I appreciate being forced to re-think something, and it's quite a feat to drag a stubborn ass like myself into it.  

• Like 1

Guest Babylonian Dream

I miss Legion. He was cool. He intentionally would post things in ways that would get at people though.

We're one big dysfunctional family.

I know I pick on BO, troll resident feminazis and Ramenista. As well as others. But I still love ya'll.

• Like 1

Guest Babylonian Dream

Hey guys, don't watch this. Vigile shouldn't be posting videos like these on a public forum. The reality might people to relive the trauma of realizing that to the system, they don't really matter. Their opinions, beliefs, etc... don't matter to anyone but them.

• Like 1

Dawwww! 

*sing songs* Rank and B-O sittin' in a tree! A-G-R-E-E-I-N-G! 

You can make that work if you have any musical aptitude. 

Anyway, I agree with the others. Don't like it, don't click on it. 

The political chit chat along with other troubling topics are probably why I don't come around as much as before. People who are fighting the xtian cult virus and still going to church or are still asking bible questions are troublesome to say the least. I've

What I am really missing is the interaction with Christians who were brave enough to come here in the past.  There are not nearly as many anymore? I wonder why? Is it that the overall culture has changed in 6 years? Fewer Christians, or at least those willing to come here to post their views in the Den?

Maybe all the rumors I've been hearing are true. Churches dying at the rate of 4-5 thousand/year. Church attendance down to about 1/5 of all professing xtians. Presuppositional apologetics taking over all other defenses since they cannot prove their myths by the classical ways of the past. More non-theists becoming lay bible scholars who can eat them up alive if we can get them to actually debate the bible. Just a few of the many things I've seen and read elsewhere.

lmao_99.gif   THIS is the best post I've ever seen in my life!!!!!!!!!

High five Vigile!!!!!! lmao_99.gif

Done to Beethoven's Symphony #7, 2nd Movement,!!! lmao_99.gifLOVED IT!!! yellow.gif

• Like 1

Legion got banned, when did that happen? I miss the debates with him even though his politics seemed more based on idenity politics (that whole Southern white male victim thing) rather than thinking for himself. It was still fun at times once in a while.

Legion got banned when did that happen? I miss the debates with him even though his politics seemed more based on idenity politics (that whole Southern white male victim thing) rather than thinking for himself. It was still fun at times once in a while.

Oh, I'd tell you - but I've been banned before for merely stating my opinion about this particular mod's actions. So lest he who shall not be named reads this and takes offense, I'll just say that Legion made one of his trademark creepy/aggressive posts- directed at him who shall not be named.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Sometimes a ban is justified.

It's not that easy to start a topic that is not only interesting, but also elicits responses. Even so, even during a forum "slump" I think most people can find something of interest around here. Certain topics appeal to a small minority while others have a more broad appeal. Things are always changing.

Start some interesting topics, people! Create some polls! Entertain us!!!

Don't worry about it, all of us old timers have had topics that created very little interest.  I have had some where there was not a single reply!

The political chit chat along with other troubling topics are probably why I don't come around as much as before. People who are fighting the xtian cult virus and still going to church or are still asking bible questions are troublesome to say the least. I've

What I am really missing is the interaction with Christians who were brave enough to come here in the past.  There are not nearly as many anymore? I wonder why? Is it that the overall culture has changed in 6 years? Fewer Christians, or at least those willing to come here to post their views in the Den?

Maybe all the rumors I've been hearing are true. Churches dying at the rate of 4-5 thousand/year. Church attendance down to about 1/5 of all professing xtians. Presuppositional apologetics taking over all other defenses since they cannot prove their myths by the classical ways of the past. More non-theists becoming lay bible scholars who can eat them up alive if we can get them to actually debate the bible. Just a few of the many things I've seen and read elsewhere.

Could be that there just are overall fewer Christians around - I know there are at least some who just attend church out of habit or some other reason but really don't believe any of it.

This is quite a different site here than in 2004-2005 when I was lurking, before I registered. This was kind of a scary place. For someone just starting to seriously get out of fundy Christianity, it was really a bit shocking.  I guess that was the lure for me - along with the naked pictures of course. lol.

Could be that there just are overall fewer Christians around - I know there are at least some who just attend church out of habit or some other reason but really don't believe any of it.

This is quite a different site here than in 2004-2005 when I was lurking, before I registered. This was kind of a scary place. For someone just starting to seriously get out of fundy Christianity, it was really a bit shocking.  I guess that was the lure for me - along with the naked pictures of course. lol.

Well, there's definitely fewer single young males attending!!  Good luck trying to find a good Christian man if you're a Christian woman, LOL!  They are all like, "Bars are bad!! Find a guy at church!!"  And there's NOT guys at church, just a bunch of chicks-- or the two guys are married and attending with their wife! 

Also, I think I know what you mean. Several years ago when I was looking something up (and still a hardcore Christian) I stumbled into this site and ran out and pushed it out my mind (because, you know, ex-Christians don't exist, LOL- who would have thought I'd be a member years later. Go figure!) 

And thanks for the encouragement! I'll try starting more topics! 

Well, there's definitely fewer single young males attending!!  Good luck trying to find a good Christian man if you're a Christian woman, LOL!  They are all like, "Bars are bad!! Find a guy at church!!"  And there's NOT guys at church, just a bunch of chicks-- or the two guys are married and attending with their wife! 

When I was single I went to a church that had only two single gals and about two dozen single guys.  This is why Jesus wants Christians to use Christian Mingle.  Sometimes God wants you to buy their product or service.

When I was single I went to a church that had only two single gals and about two dozen single guys.  This is why Jesus wants Christians to use Christian Mingle.  Sometimes God wants you to buy their product or service.

LOL!! WendyDoh.gif I forgot how much money this all powerful God is in NEED of!! Of course, we need to get through all ways possible. And I DID used that website for awhile, LOL!!  But I was still super Christian then and not as flexible as now. I met one really good guy but was experiencing untreated depression. Too bad, we probably could have worked well if we had both not been so depressed. 

Sometimes a ban is justified.

+1

• Like 1

I can Catholic Poe like a motherfucker if you just want to argue... Wendyshrug.gif

I think it adds flavor to the forum. Arguing with Christians got old, for me, a few years ago. I am more than okay with other people debating them. In fact, I enjoy reading the posts. I don't post as much as I used to, but I still find the political/current topic threads pretty interesting.