Goodbye Jesus

Christian Missionary Deconverted By Tribe

Marfark

It certainly speaks to some of my own experiences from my old life in witnessing to people whom I'd wrongly assumed were lost and unhappy.

Very interesting that they laughed from hearing about his mother's suicide.

"oh they cut of his head-do that again"GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

It is very interesting that this tribe has no "creation myth". I always thought that it is in the human nature to desire to understand or explain the past and future of humankind.

It is very interesting that this tribe has no "creation myth". I always thought that it is in the human nature to desire to understand or explain the past and future of humankind.

It also amazed me that a tribe living in the wilderness would rely on evidence to believe what someone tells them.

• Like 1

Depends on the person I guess. I am an in the moment kind of human, where we came from makes no difference tome either way.I am here now, how I deal with that is what is most important.

Read his book last summer about 6 months after my deconversion.   Makes a powerful point as to how crazy it is to crash into another culture pushing our stupid religious beliefs.  Who do we think we are???

He deconverted but his wife did not.   Neither has mine.   Oh well.   I am in good company.

I was a missionary when I started down the road to de-conversion.  The Palestinian muslims I was trying to convert had a big impact on me...in the sense that I saw how they believed as ardently as I did, had subjective "spiritual" experiences to confirm their faith, and that their whole faith was basically borne out of their culture/family circumstances.  I realized my faith was really no different, and had I been born into an Arab home in the middle east I would have been a devout muslim.  From there it was a slippery slope...