Planting Seeds

Geezer

Planting Seeds:

Christians encourage planting seeds. As we all know that simply means developing an interest in Christianity using non-confrontational methods.  

I was trained to do this and Christians are encouraged to use non confrontational  methods. This usually means using opened questions such as:

Do you ever feel like your life has no real purpose?

Do you ever find yourself wishing you could do more to help people in need?

Do you ever feel like life is about to overwhelm you and you have no place to turn and no one truly understands you?

Well, planting seeds goes both ways. Maybe those of us who are no longer believers should be asking our Christian friends, when they approach us, questions like these:

Do you ever wonder why Jesus was crucified on a completely different day in John’s Gospel?

Have you ever wondered why the two gospel genealogies of Jesus are different, and why neither of them is correct?

Do you ever find yourself wondering why Jesus was referred to as Jesus of Nazareth when the village of Nazareth didn’t exist when Jesus was born or even later when his ministry was taking place?

Do you ever wonder why the woman taken in adultery was granted clemency, but Ananias and Sapphira were executed?

Have you ever wondered why God could breathe creation into existence but needed an old man to collect two of every living thing to repopulate the earth?

Can you explain the difference between having faith that doesn’t save and possessing saving faith to me?    glare.gif

• Like 2

I was trained to do this and Christians are encouraged to use non confrontational  methods. This usually means using opened questions such as:

Do you ever feel like life is about to overwhelm you and you have no place to turn and no one truly understands you?

Lol, the next time a Christian asks me this stuff, I'm going to say, "Yes, sometimes I do feel like my life has no real purpose. Yes, sometimes I do wish I could do more to help people in need. Yes, I do feel like life is about to overwhelm me sometimes and don't always have a place to turn to. You know what? I think I'm going to go volunteer and go join an atheist organization so I have a place to turn to. Thanks for asking these questions and getting me thinking about this stuff! woohoo.gif "

• Like 2

Yes its time to start using their own tactics against them!!!!! no sense in taking the high road all the time it is survival of the fittest after all

• Like 1

Lol, the next time a Christian asks me this stuff, I'm going to say, "Yes, sometimes I do feel like my life has no real purpose. Yes, sometimes I do wish I could do more to help people in need. Yes, I do feel like life is about to overwhelm me sometimes and don't always have a place to turn to. You know what? I think I'm going to go volunteer and go join an atheist organization so I have a place to turn to. Thanks for asking these questions and getting me thinking about this stuff! woohoo.gif "

Sounds like the perfect plan!! I think we should all start implementing it!!! clap.gif

I prefer a response along the lines of: tell me why I should throw away everything I was raised to believe in, in order to convert to some random religion that none of my ancestors have known anything about and adopt the belief that my parents are going to eternal hell?

Christians are inculcated into a belief that there are only Christians and atheists.  Anyone who does not believe in Jesus necessarily rejects God as well.  I like to remind evangelical Christians that one can be fully conscious of God while rejecting Jesus as any sort of spiritual authority.  More importantly, I like to remind these people who claim to support "family values" that my value of family is precisely why I refuse to convert to Christianity.  I think it helps Christians to realize how unappealing their religion is to me when they understand that Christianity necessitates that basically everyone I know is going to burn for all eternity.  To adopt a turn of phrase, why the hell would I subscribe to such an absurd and obviously false belief?

• Like 4

My intended point, which I clearly failed to make, was to place the burden of proof on the Christian when they attempt to challenge us for leaving the faith.

The Bible is the foundation of a believer’s faith. The justification for their “beliefs” is based on scripture. When they attempt to re-convert us the Bible becomes their standard for truth. The only thing they can do is quote scripture at us because, in their mind, scripture is actually God speaking to us directly.

The Bible has achieved this status, at least in their minds, because they have been taught that it is completely verbally inspired by God personally and that makes it fully inerrant and therefore infallible.

There are ways to challenge that thinking that are not confrontational. And one of the best ways is to ask open ended questions. In other words metaphorically put the shoe on their foot and force them to defend the contradictions and inconsistencies that are replete throughout scripture.

There are ways to engage friends and family members who are attempting to re-convert us that need not be confrontational and doesn’t lead to heated arguments. If the purpose of such engagements is educational rather than confrontational, then the possibility of changing a mind greatly increases. Personally, I would rather change a mind than win an argument.

No Geezer, you were quite clear.  Perhaps I've miscommunicated.

Obviously when "planting my seed" (that sounded dirtier than intended...) I would use a calmer tone of voice than how I perhaps come across when writing this out.  Tone of voice counts for a lot in these discussions, I think.  But what I hope to convey to the evangelical Christian is the scope of the burden he is laying when he tries to convert someone from another religion.  The average white guy in America grew up Christian.  Even if he didn't and his family is atheist, they probably have some kind of Christian background.  So when you "convert" him to Christianity, you are really just imploring him to follow the beliefs that he was raised in.  I, however, am a Hindu American, and when the evangelical tries to convert me he is asking me to obey Jesus' command to hate your mother and father a bit more literally.  Specifically I must believe they are going to eternal hell.  It's just as bad when trying to convert a Jew.  Jews have a bad enough history of persecution that asking a Jew to be a Christian is effectively like asking him to stab his entire community in the back.  How easy it is for a Western European American to convert to Christianity compared to the rest of us.  I don't think evangelicals stop and consider this.  I wonder how many of them had to accept a belief that their whole family will burn when they "came to Christ."

By planting a seed, I hope to make them consider that asking a person of European descent to become a Christian is quite a bit different than asking me to do so.  Perhaps they will realize the truth that Christianity is a European religion, and they will stop trying to destroy other cultures by spreading it to them.

It is my goal to lead others away from Christianity as I once led them to it.  I want to bring them the evangel of truth and set them free from the mental battles they may fight daily.  I want to inform people that they are not imperfect and do not need to be made perfect through a "savior." 

I just want people free of religion.  I want them to enjoy this life and not take it for granted because of some make-believe next life.  So I do my part where I can and where I'm welcome to ask tough questions in hopes of sparking some rational thought and critical review of their current, accepted beliefs.

Planting Seeds:

Christians encourage planting seeds. As we all know that simply means developing an interest in Christianity using non-confrontational methods.  

Well, planting seeds goes both ways. Maybe those of us who are no longer believers should be asking our Christian friends, when they approach us, questions like these:

Do you ever wonder why Jesus was crucified on a completely different day in John’s Gospel?

Have you ever wondered why the two gospel genealogies of Jesus are different, and why neither of them is correct?

Do you ever find yourself wondering why Jesus was referred to as Jesus of Nazareth when the village of Nazareth didn’t exist when Jesus was born or even later when his ministry was taking place?

Do you ever wonder why the woman taken in adultery was granted clemency, but Ananias and Sapphira were executed?

Have you ever wondered why God could breathe creation into existence but needed an old man to collect two of every living thing to repopulate the earth?

Can you explain the difference between having faith that doesn’t save and possessing saving faith to me?    glare.gif

It's because they never answered this kind of question that I was obligated to deconvert. I needed answers for personal integrity. But if you want to ask them, go ahead. You're going to be speaking to a different batch of Christians than I did. I'm just tired of asking questions that I know have no answers.