Meditation Realizations And Tips

I figured something out the other day about making meditation work better for me and feel like telling other people about it. I was also hoping other people might have similar experiences for me to read about, in case there's other simple but useful things I could do differently that haven't occured to me.

So, a lot of meditation advice tells you to start with relaxing. I've also read a bit about energy work and grounding and centering, where you rid yourself of negative energies. Then one day I watched some video on youtube about emapths and the guy said that grounding is a bad idea many times, because you're letting go of energy when you might already be low on energy. Then some stressfull stuff happened in my life (bad and good), and I've been exhaused. Every time I'd try to meditate I'd fall asleep (which, granted, is useful for giving me the insight that I'm not taking care of my physical needs). But I wanted to meditate to have more energy!

Then I remembered the suggestion from the energy work/empath thing that ridding yourself of energy isn't always a good idea. So I rephrased it. On the inbreath, I think about drawing in energy. But the energy comes in as disordered and kinda manic; it's tangled and messy and all over the place. On the out breath, instead of releasing energy, I think about organizing the energy I just inhaled into something more structured, of it settling down but staying inside me. This is great for on the bus to/from work, or at work in the afternoon when I just want to stare off into space but am feeling guilty about being lazy.

• Like 1

Then I remembered the suggestion from the energy work/empath thing that ridding yourself of energy isn't always a good idea. So I rephrased it. On the inbreath, I think about drawing in energy. But the energy comes in as disordered and kinda manic; it's tangled and messy and all over the place. On the out breath, instead of releasing energy, I think about organizing the energy I just inhaled into something more structured, of it settling down but staying inside me. This is great for on the bus to/from work, or at work in the afternoon when I just want to stare off into space but am feeling guilty about being lazy.

This all sounds good. I'm not sure why this person confuses grounding with getting rid of energy, but that's another matter. I think what is key here in what you are saying is that you are transforming energies. It's very Tantric, actually. When negative energies arise you embrace them within their opposite, divine, pair. You transform the energies, you don't try to drive them away.

Where grounding comes in, and is vitally important at all times, is taking that higher energy and bringing it into the body. You do this at the end of meditation as you move into the day. That's where the work really hits the ground. It's transformative, not just some experience you had in meditation.

You may wish to explore Chakra work as well, where you focus on the different types of energies within the body. The key to it is not some 'belief' in them, but directing and mastering these areas of our lives that make us up. It's about becoming self-aware through these visualizations. The effect is undeniable to those who practice this. Again, it takes the energies of the mind/spirit, and moves them into transformation. It's about becoming Master of ourselves, away from being mastered, buffeted about at them as they rise and fall, barely keeping our noses above the water.

Today, trying to figure out if I could use that sort of meditation to stay awake after staying up way past my bedtime last night (and not even for a good reason, grrr), I realized something. This is exactly how you're supposed to handle breathing while doing certain types of physical exercise. You breath in during the easy part to get air into your lungs and oxygen into your blood, then do the exertion while exhaling, like the inhale stage is giving you the energy for the exertion stage.

It did get a little unnerving to realize that meant that with each breath I was running out of so much energy that I needed to breath again. I'm pretty sure I've got something to learn there about give and take and dealing with each bit of life as it comes. I guess I have to keep breathing all day, but it never quite occured to me to think of it that way. But the nice thing is that, barring some unusual circumstances like swimming, the oxygen/ the energy I need is always right there.

You may wish to explore Chakra work as well, where you focus on the different types of energies within the body. The key to it is not some 'belief' in them, but directing and mastering these areas of our lives that make us up. It's about becoming self-aware through these visualizations. The effect is undeniable to those who practice this. Again, it takes the energies of the mind/spirit, and moves them into transformation. It's about becoming Master of ourselves, away from being mastered, buffeted about at them as they rise and fall, barely keeping our noses above the water.

I'll have to read up on Chakras. Other times I've tried, it never quite clicked with me. But it's been a while, so maybe things have changed. I was probably trying to take them too literally and getting hung up on the belief thing.

I've had a hard time getting started on meditation (probably subconscious fears are a factor).  But a person on another forum said that reading a book or taking a class to learn how to meditate is actually counterproductive; a person should just do it their own way.  This person had started out by getting instruction from Falun Gong, because some weird events seemed to be leading that way.

I'll have to read up on Chakras. Other times I've tried, it never quite clicked with me. But it's been a while, so maybe things have changed. I was probably trying to take them too literally and getting hung up on the belief thing.

Yes, you can't approach this stuff too literally. They are symbolic, and whatever opens to you through such points of focus becomes your own understanding. I became more interested in them after trying meditation with this CD that is geared musically to the different sorts of energies associated with the seven basic chakras. It's very well done. I find it useful, complementary to the other meditation techniques I practice (largely Tantric). I'd recommend giving this a try for the whole CD, about an hour, in sitting meditation. Have the room lights, dimmed, some candles, incense, or whatever your normal space is like for you. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006BGWRS/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1