Goodbye Jesus

Mildest Rant Ever - Tackiness

ExCBooster

There's this traffic light on my way back from work, and it's really a long wait. A church on the corner, taking advantage of the captive audience, has one of those spiffy new LED message boards up. A few weeks ago, they had a message to the effect of: "Bring and Buy and Sunday School Bake Sale Fund Raiser!" So far so good, right? But it was chased by: "$20 minimum donation limit." What. I mean, you're already having a bring and buy and a bake sale. I thought that was pretty amazingly tacky: a minimum donation limit, as in "we don't even want your money if you don't bring us enough." And, frankly, blatantly desperate.

Aside from hurtful or actually mean things people or churches do, what about the just amazingly trashy or tacky things? Were you ever embarrassed by your church or its culture?

Well, they couldn't just come out and say, "Religion is a business" could they?   haha

I think it's tacky for any church to ask for money.  I mean, who the fuck does that?! 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

I must say my old church never did that kind of crap, and they still don't. I have seen some pretty tacky shit from others, though.

I hate it when churches put scriptures on their signs using KJV! I'm like, really people? We want to reach the lost, but lets use language that's 400 years old and we will show them that we are relevant and hip.

You think that's tacky?  The Catholics have a two-touch minimum.  <ba dum bum>

mwc

• Super Moderator

Yeah, churches will do anything for a buck.    I always hated the sign that say "We're too blessed to be depressed."  

On the other hand, I really like this one: 

church signs 4 inch tongue.jpg

and some of the other ones here:  

http://www.ranker.com/list/30-most-offensive-church-signs-of-all-time/robert-wabash?format=SLIDESHOW&page=1

• Like 4

The "minimum donation limit" stuff is ridiculous not everyone has that kind of money.  I wasn't embarrassed by my church but some of the songs we were supposed to sing were slightly embarrassing.  "Oh, I feel like dancing This foolishness, I know But when the world has seen the light They will dance with joy Like we're dancing now"....