Goodbye Jesus

Rapture Theory Left Me Unprepared

rach

Count me as another harmed by this theology. I remember worrying about the timing of the rapture when I was a kid, and what if I wasn't quite good enough and was left behind for the wolves to devour. Hal Lindsey, Jack Chick and others (and Tim LeHaye later on) sure wreaked havoc with my life.

It's kind of interesting that the rapture doctrine started to gather a strong following in the 1960s and 1970s, when Hippies were preaching about "Tune In, Turn On, Drop Out."

Many Christians would find it horrifying to be compared to the Hippies (who at least wanted to have a good time on this earth), but they wanted to Tune In to God, Turn On to the rapture theory and Drop Out of what they saw as an imperfect world.

It was easier to wait for Daddy Sky God to call his chosen few home and rescue them from all the troubles of this world (just waiting for heaven in the afterlife was no longer enough) and all of the poor saps who would remain on earth and suffer, well, serves 'em right. They had their chance.

It's a very sad way to look at the world, if you think about it. Waiting for a supernatural escape instead of working to make this world a better place. After all, they think God will wipe it out anyway.

The rapture theology is alive and well among many churches and on various Christian websites.

One of the latest theories is that a generation is 70 years, and if you consider the Israeli capture of Jerusalem as the starting point of the countdown, you'd be planning on a cosmic rescue by 2037 or so. But I'm sure other theories will come along once that has been disproved, as well.

It was easier to wait for Daddy Sky God to call his chosen few home and rescue them from all the troubles of this world (just waiting for heaven in the afterlife was no longer enough) and all of the poor saps who would remain on earth and suffer, well, serves 'em right. They had their chance.

One thing about the rapture theory is it appeals very strongly to those who suffer badly.  It gave me a lot of hope that my suffering would soon be over, instantly, forever.  Since "the accident" I didn't feel like I could- or wanted to- be a part of this world anymore so being introduced to the idea that "daddy sky god" will rapture me up to be with him in paradise, was irresistible.  At my church I saw those who were hurting deeply like me, or those who are sick or elderly, would cling to this "escapist theology" whilst people who were living comfortably seemed to be able to tolerate the "rapture" being a long ways off. 

try to make a joke. 

Sorry. It didn't come across as a joke. ;)

try to make a joke. 

Sorry. It didn't come across as a joke. wink.png

my delivery has much to be desired.   It tends to be a bit flat. 

sometime so flat its like a line. 

so I try to zombifiy it like this. 

usually requiring a me to finally shut up and put the joke down. fun_84.gif

I got it, Stryper.

As far as I'm concerned, you're playing to an audience of me. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

The left behind books were one of the tools used to get me in. Embarrassing though it is I was hooked in through fear. A growing understanding of the fallacies and flaws in the Bible is helping me to shed the ingrained habits of thought. This place is helping a lot too!

I think you will find a good number of people here who as youths had their future damaged by this doctrine.i noticed as a young man that older or retired people often were the strongest exponents of this doctrine.they had had their careers or were well established and felt bored enough or lacking in everyday hope enough to feel this was a great doctrine to live by.But to youth esp if you are quite impressionable or had a bit of depression as I did it was really difficult to swim against this current.I recall feeling ,well whats the point then,its OK for older folk but i am just starting out.This like so many christian things severely retarded my self actualization as a young man in my late teens and twenties.I am 38 and only just completed my first degree and starting a masters program this fall.Hope its not all too late and i can build a career.

It's not too late. Two of my parents received advanced degrees after 50 and are both successful in their fields. If you like what you do you won't want to retire.