Goodbye Jesus

Four Quark Particle

DarthKoopa

http://www.nature.com/news/quark-quartet-opens-fresh-vista-on-matter-1.13225

Im not quite sure what any of this means. This is beyond what I have learned about science so far. Dies anyone have any thoughts on this? What exactly does it mean.

I know exactly what it means.

It means that scientists have discovered the particle responsible for the formation of what we've come to know as the Gallon.

Arguably, we've always known that 4 quarks make a gallon. But modern science has simply given us a little more simplification on the subject.

I'm so fuckin' smart...

I know exactly what it means.

It means that scientists have discovered the particle responsible for the formation of what we've come to know as the Gallon.

Arguably, we've always known that 4 quarks make a gallon. But modern science has simply given us a little more simplification on the subject.

I'm so fuckin' smart...

:/ thanks

It means particle physics like shiny new exciting things. Finding stuff you already know about and expect to see is boring. It means that being the person to prove there really was a new type of particle observed gets fame and speaking engagements and tenure. It means that people who have claimed to have found tetraquarks in the past were... overzealous, and now physicists are very suspicious about new claims.

I suppose you really meant "what does this change about our understanding of science". Not all that much, really. It's still Standard Model physics, merely with the particles in an arrangment we weren't sure was possible. It will give us more precise details on what those particles are like, though. So it's more about refining existing knowledge than opening up an entire new area of study. It's particularly useful for understanding how matter worked closer to the big bang; currently, for the first brief moments of  our universe's existence, our laws of physics do not work. It's not that the universe's laws are inconsistent, it's just that our current understanding only works at "low" energies, the same way a flat map is sufficient over a small enough piece of the round earth's surface.

I think it means the theory of relativity is bunk.  I KNEW IT!!!

If true, it means they may have discovered a new type of matter.  The protons and neutrons that make up atomic nuclei are each composed of only three quarks.