Goodbye Jesus

Anyone Else Feel Behind Their Peers?

kolaida

Guest Hoseki

Oh yes. I am so far behind I could weep. I missed out on:

• Social skills (I was socially inept well into my 20s due to my rigid beliefs)
  • How to "party"--the only way I know how to entertain is like a Bible Study. Kidding, but sorta not.
  • Music--the school bus saved me, thanks to the radio, but I am still massively behind.
  • Self-efficacy and decision making. "God" made all my decisions before. Look where that got me....
  • Dancing. Thank you, Mennonite high school.

I never had the urge to smoke. Ever. I have this thing about my lungs and I think putting anything besides air in ones lungs is unwise.

Even though I now have a measure of social competence, I still feel uptight and unsure of myself at 'parties'. I feel like a square. I never know how to interact or how to just talk about shit and laugh.

I feel exactly like this! Add any true Geology and Cosmology to that list due to being homeschooled and only allowed to read books that said "god created everything with a word" and that sums me up. 

I personally haven't tried cigarettes because anything strong going into my lungs makes me cough like I'm dying. I did try alcohol and I like some types in moderation. I feel that way for health reasons, rather than because some religious leader told me it's bad. I'm ok with anything people like to do as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. If the opportunity came for me to try anything else, I'd be game. Of course as long as I don't hurt myself. :-)

I feel exactly like this! Add any true Geology and Cosmology to that list due to being homeschooled and only allowed to read books that said "god created everything with a word" and that sums me up. 

Although it's not a factor in my life anymore, when I went to college, I avoided biology and chemistry (I took them at summer community college where I wouldn't know anyone) because I was simultaneously ashamed of being so ignorant, angry about all the lies I'd been taught, but finding it difficult to let go and say that everything I knew and all the people I'd trusted were wrong.

(I may be be slightly drunk as I write this)  

Anyway, does anyone else ever feel like they are just behind their peers and are never gonna catch up? I was really religious and didn't drink alcohol, smoke, try things stronger than cigarettes, etc before 24 and some not til I was 26. It almost seems like everyone else around me did all this in their late teens/early 20 before they were legal at least. 

I just feel like I keep running into this and it sometimes is frustrating and it makes me feel like I was so stupid to ever be so absorbed in religion and miss out on just regular fun. I don't know. I don't know, it just seems like--- is their not MORE ex-Christians in my age range that have experienced this? Or even as Christians, they still went ahead and did the stuff so I really can't even relate on an ex-Christian level, like they didn't take religion anywhere near as serious as I did. 

I don't know if I'm making any sense here (and I don't know if it belongs in the rant but it's not really a rant. I'm just honestly curious if anyone else runs into this.) When I was a Christian, I had trouble finding Christians my age. Now I find people my age all the time that aren't Christian but it's like they already did and tried everything and have stories about it and my stories are like, "I was at church." 

Yes, relate totally.  Nothing to do but make the most of what's left.

• Like 1