Goodbye Jesus

Thankfulness - Who Now?

Abmin9

I'm completely deconverted. No god. No ghosts. No ghouls, gobblins, witches, demons.. nada. zip. ziltch.

I am a person who really values thankfulness. I like it when people I do things for thank me. I, in turn, like to thank those who do positive things for me. 

I can thank... my boss for my raise, the neighbor for bringing in the trash can, my children's teachers for the great work they do, and a doctor when he gives me the right medicine or treatment for an ailment. 

When things go wrong, I can choose to express anger if it was caused by another person like being rear ended by a 17 year old girl who was texting. When it's not a person's fault, like a tree just happened to fall on my new car, I have no problem just chucking it all up to chance and that's it. No fist shaking at satan here.cussing.gif  

However, when it comes to good things that equally happen by chance/nature, like my children's incredibly good health, I have that 'need to thank.' I used to thank a 2,000 year old carpenter . But, as you first read, I realize my mistake. Yet, I'd still like to express "thanks" and gratitude.

Does anyone else feel this way? Any suggestions on how to 'scratch this itch?' 

I guess one way is to go out and help others which I know I could and should do more of. Does that help?

Thanks in advance!smile.png

• Like 1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Thank the great body of knowledge that humanity has gained because of its natural curiosity and inclination to help others thus provoiding us with increased life span and better health. :-)

If thankful for your children's health, give them a hug and say "I love you so much!!!! I am so happy you are you and that you are healthy!"

I think we need new language as ex-believers. "Thanks" itself indicates an agent to whom we are indebted. We used to thank the gods when good things happened. Now, I think we need to feel

• relief
  • pleased
  • happy
  • generous
  • humbled

Let's re-examine the feelings we are misappropriating to thanks! smile.png

• Like 1

If thankful for your children's health, give them a hug and say "I love you so much!!!! I am so happy you are you and that you are healthy!"

I think we need new language as ex-believers. "Thanks" itself indicates an agent to whom we are indebted. We used to thank the gods when good things happened. Now, I think we need to feel

• relief
  • pleased
  • happy
  • generous
  • humbled

I became aware of this dilemma just recently!  We had a really bad wind storm in our area, and many trees were uprooted - including one of ours.  I made the statement to a friend, "I'm so thankful it didn't hit our house".  I then realized she probably thought I was implying "thankful to god".  So I have been more aware of my words since then. Thank you for some good substitutions!!  I could have just as easily said, "I'm so relieved it didn't hit our house" - that would have been an entirely accurate statement with no implications or misunderstandings.

• relief
  • pleased
  • happy
  • generous
  • humbled

I became aware of this dilemma just recently!  We had a really bad wind storm in our area, and many trees were uprooted - including one of ours.  I made the statement to a friend, "I'm so thankful it didn't hit our house".  I then realized she probably thought I was implying "thankful to god".  So I have been more aware of my words since then. Thank you for some good substitutions!!  I could have just as easily said, "I'm so relieved it didn't hit our house" - that would have been an entirely accurate statement with no implications or misunderstandings.

Yeah, I feel I stumble with the wording of things, too. Before I was always trying to give glory to God.  Sometimes now when I feel happy or relieved I almost feel guilty I'm not thanking someone then I realize I'm being ridiculous. Still, it's hard to kill old habits. 

Welcome back, A flat! Tuned up today?

I thank teachers, healthcare workers, city employees, doctors, everyone who makes life better without religion.

• Like 2

Here in China, people are obsessed with luck.   Good luck, bad luck.  When i first came I thought it was all bullshit, but now i see it is just an alternative system to "giving thanks to god" for random favorable occurrences. 

There is no being to thank. You can simply be happy about it