Goodbye Jesus

Sun Rotating Around The Earth?

Journey

Actually when I was a Christian, I did know someone who believed that the sun revolved around the earth.  Even my young earth creationists friend strongly objected to this, and told the kid (he was a teenager) that he seriously needed to recant these beliefs.

When people deny evolution or the age of the universe, at least they think that the scientific process works, and they merely think that all scientists are lying or incorrect about the results.  Heliocentrism, however, is apparent from things like stellar parallax and retrograde motion.  I'd agree with Ralet.  You can't use logic here; emotional appeals might be the better alternative.

Actually when I was a Christian, I did know someone who believed that the sun revolved around the earth.  Even my young earth creationists friend strongly objected to this, and told the kid (he was a teenager) that he seriously needed to recant these beliefs.

When people deny evolution or the age of the universe, at least they think that the scientific process works, and they merely think that all scientists are lying or incorrect about the results.  Heliocentrism, however, is apparent from things like stellar parallax and retrograde motion.  I'd agree with Ralet.  You can't use logic here; emotional appeals might be the better alternative.

I know, right? I think the part that really fries my brain about this is: if these people think science doesn't work...

Where do they think their food comes from? Did they get their shots as a kid? Do they ever take medicine? Drive a car? Ride in elevators? Go into modern buildings? Cross bridges? Wear machine made clothes? Synthetic materials? Wear glasses? Surgery? Listen to weather forecasts? Seen an aeroplane in the sky? Use a computer?

There's no part of modern life that isn't touched by science. And, yes, it works, or we wouldn't be using it, and we wouldn't have all these things. People would still get smallpox... I just don't see how it's possible to deny it...

I have friends and relatives who believe every scientific discovery that does not start out 'praise god' is a scientific conspiracy to contradict the teachings of god almighty. Earth orbits the sun, it's a conspiracy. Landing on the moon, it's a conspiracy. Evolution, it's a conspiracy. Whatever prevents someone from believing in god and having faith in what the bible says is true, is a conspiracy. Having doubts is a sin and science gives everyone a lot of sin these days! I told one relative I didn't believe because I wanted truth in my life and not believing in fantasy. She said, 'well what about those with an opposing point of view?' I said 'an opposing point of view to the truth is a lie.' I haven't heard back from her in over a year.

• Super Moderator

'an opposing point of view to the truth is a lie.' I haven't heard back from her in over a year.

Love it!  When I get the chance, I think I'll try it out on some of my relatives who have an opposing point of view.   Hope I get the same results as you!

Well to be fair, to me at least a lie is a falsehood told knowing that it is a falsehood. You babble something totally fucking wrong while honestly believing it to be true, it may well make you a moron, but not a liar. ;)

• Like 3

While it is good that he at least buys into the fact the Earth is round, but if he isn't willing to buy into the fact that the earth rotates around the sun as well, this demonstrates a deep distrust of human logic and reasoning. I think the emotional appeal would be the best approach, with the expectation of at least planting a seed of doubt. Your going to have to use Christian speech to get through to him.

Don't you consider the fact that maybe the almighty had to dumb things down to a young humanity? How can a child comprehend the complexity of God's creation? Science is not incompatible with faith; humanity has developed a better foundation of information to understand our existence. We now have better tools to better develop our understanding of existence  Science is this tool. The bible may be a good guide, but a single book can only fit so much information in it. The bible didn't bring us electricity or cars; it was our developing understanding of the physical realm through our own observations that brought this. God did say that we should dominate the earth and science is the tool that allows us to do so. Why should God's creativity be limited to only what is in the bible?

I think the above paragraph is a good foundation from which you can make your case to him. The best thing you can do for now is to start moving him to a more liberal form of Christianity.