Goodbye Jesus

Deconvert Getting Very Depressed

GettingDown

It's definitely a mind-fuck.  Keep working at it.  It get's better.  It's totally worth leaving behind.  Be born again!  Be free!

The mind is incredible, and there are so many things about the brain that we are still learning. One of the things we do is latch on to certain beliefs -- whether rational or not -- and then we can be haunted by trying to leave false or irrational beliefs behind.

The key is to approach the basic tenants of Christianity as presented by the Bible through rational analysis. There are so many contradictions that any truly superior being would certainly want no part of it. For example, there is no way to reconcile the commands of unconditional love and forgiveness with an eternal hell. For a perfect God to hold imperfect creations to perfect standards, giving only one escape option and making it so vague and open to interpretation that many different branches of faiths strongly disagree with others, well, that's nonsense.

There are many noble elements in religion -- the admonition to altruism, to love your neighbor as yourself, to help the poor, to offer forgiveness and seek a more noble purpose than living only for one's self. But those good elements are contaminated by a climate of fear, control, threats, judgment and constant conditional love (rather than unconditional).

There are some things which we still do not completely understand. For example, I've had a number of dreams that have later come true, but they weren't related to religion. And in some cases, I remembered what I dreamed and was able to change my actions. But in none of these dreams was there an element of Christianity, or any other religion. They were often mundane, day-to-day activities. I can't explain how and why the dreams happen (or why they focus on mundane topics), and yet, they do.

I wouldn't take one vague word from a dream as a sign that God is giving you messages. Your mind is preconditioned to that course just because of your history, and what we can't explain, we often try to rectify by turning to faith for answers.

It's much easier to try to simplify things by saying "God must be communicating with me," and the Bible even encourages that way of thinking with its Old Testament references to dreams and their meanings.

Dreams are often the mind's way of wrestling with many of the issues we can't always reconcile, but it's interesting that an all-powerful God wouldn't choose to be more specific and visit you at a time when you are more coherent, isn't it?

Hang in there. This process isn't an easy one, and it can seem all too tempting to rush back into a sanctuary of religion in which all the answers are presented to you (or at least a great number of the answers). But it is also very rewarding to know that there isn't a cosmic bully waiting to cast untold billions into an eternal fire just because they didn't stoke his ego by worshipping him. If that religion is true, the greatest crime is that we were ever created at all, just to suffer such a horrific fate. Would this god's worshippers even be safe from such a wrath, and why would they want to worship such a horrific god who would allow such an unspeakable evil to befall others?

Guys thank you, I am not all better but it is nice to have such a support body. I use to lurk but joining has been great. Thank u so very much guys!

It's funny how the Creator Of The Universe - who supposedly has a very specific plan for our salvation - only bothers to communicate via dreams, poor translations, and the like. You'd think that a guy with his abilities - dealing with such high stakes as the eternal souls of billions of humans he supposedly loves - would be willing and able to communicate AT LEAST as well as a well-spoken human. Yet he doesn't. This 'message' is so muddled and changes so regularly along with the surrounding culture that even Christians who devote their entire LIVES to understanding Tha Word Of Gawd can't agree on even the most basic tenets of their religion.

Why it's almost as if the whole thing a cultural abberation. A human computer-virus based on myth, legend, fear, and hope. You know - just like Islam and a slew of other religions where people are guided by dreams, visions, ancient texts, fear, hope, social coercion.

If you were an ex-muslim, you'd be having islam-themed dreams.

• Like 1

That's where they hold the bible studies.

Sorry you lost me

It was just supposed to be humor is all.