Goodbye Jesus

Christianity Is A Rat Race

Chikirin

There's always some additional blessing you're supposed to seek, some additional filling. They want you to be "hungry" for "more" of God. (How gluttonous) They hype and exaggerate every single meeting and retreat and event -  "Don't miss what God has in store for you!" They get you to think that you don't have enough so that you will constantly be begging god to send you the additional zap or jolt that you need. Come up to the altar like a pigs at a trough.

I think the most constructive kinds of spirituality are the ones that encourage a person to rest and be at peac, and to putt off the negative things that drag us down. This is addition by subtraction, rather than the endless quest for more more more of American evangelical Christianity.

Like any business it is necessary for Christianity to hype and re-brand their product over and over and over again.  They somehow need to stay competitive in a world that is trying to pull away the attention of their followers away.

But seriously, what is really their sales pitch?  "Hey so you have to kiss this god's ass for eternity, give up sex and everything else thats of any fun, and it only cost 10% of your income...isnt that the great?  Woo, praise Jeebus!"  I never had any rest trying to keep up with that bullshit whatsoever. 

I think this was even more the case for me during the time I spent in pentecostalism, that's when the need to achieve all the extra spiritual goodies became even more acute. 

I think this is spot on, particularly about spirituality should be about finding peace and letting go of negativity.

I have left the church but still have a handful of christian friends, one tried to get to me to go back to church so I can meet with God and like you said  "Don't miss what God has in store for you!"

Well I said I feel more in touch with God when I'm out walking in nature. We don't need to go to a special building to do this!