Asking Questions Is Lack Of Faith

I wonder why do some Christians continue to remain ignorant of both their bible and religion. Since deconverting recently, one of my Christian friends has tried hard in to 'win me back' to the faith. Quite frankly I have no interest of going back. Christianity only left me in dumb self denial and added to my social awkwardness.

Getting to the point, during one a convo with my friend, I brought up the issues of editing in the bible and Christianity murders in the past. I also brought up the issue in the bible where in 2Samuel it says that God stirred up David to go and number Israel. However, in Chronicles it says that Satan stirred up David to number Israel. My friend was like God does what he wants and we shouldn't be asking all these questions, it's lack of faith just have faith. And I'm like so he stirs up David to do something which ends up in God killing the people that got numbered with a plague? That's crazy.

I use to study the bible intensely. I know the Greek for faith in the New Testament is pistis. Pistis means surety, assurance, confidence, personal trust. I never saw where it meant wilful ignorance. When some of these Christians say "just have faith" to answer hard questions, they're showing you they know nothing about faith themselves because some of these same Christians, when they're pressed back with hard questions they know expose their religion, they'll throw the usual, "Well it's better to believe in God and find out he's not there than not to and find out he is." They say that so confidently with no idea that they showed you that they've got no faith at all. A statement like that shows that you're living off a guess and not the assurance the bible tells you to live off.

What do you think about faith? Do you think it's a sin to ask logical questions about some that may have holes in its system or it's ok to just 'believe' and go with the flow.

• Like 1

Oh yes, the good old Pascal's wager argument. Here's the problem, if you are going that route, then you'll need to choose your God. Which of the hundreds of Gods is going to lead you to salvation? If your are a Christian and using this argument, what happens if your God isn't actually the God of salvation after all? What's say you believe in this Yahweh fellow and find out it was Zeus all along who was the ticket?

Therefore, Pascal's wager makes the assumption that your God is the way to go without anything but faith. This IMHO is a pretentious and ill informed idea that assumes a pathetic little person can know something as profound as who has the best God based on nothing but faith and the writings of bronze aged goat herders. Or, you can take the atheist stance as I understand atheism and say "there's no evidence of any God. I cannot be absolutely sure there's no God, so for now I can't believe in something without evidence, but I'm willing to redux the debate if new evidence were to be found."

Of course the evidence in question has to be a bit more quantatitive and make better predictions than said goat herders referenced earlier.

I don't think it's a sin to ask logical questions. It's only when you ask the tough questions that it is a "lack of faith", but when the questions you ask come with easy answers, then it shows that you have a good amount of faith when you accept those easy answers as good enough.

Any belief system or religion that can't provide sensible answers to the tough questions, is probably a belief system or religion that should be abandoned.

Faith is a breeding ground for ignorance and stupidity.  It's been shown to be extremely unreliable as well...  It wasn't long ago that the earth was believed to be 6000 or so years old.  I'm sure people had faith in their bible that this were true...  Science comes along and calls bullshit and now the creation story has to take a figurative role instead of a literal one.

Faith is a crutch for those too scared or too weak to face reality.  Hey, I was there, myself.  But at some point you gotta grow the fuck up and look around.

RogueScholar you make a good point. There are really only two ways to understand our world. Faith in religious beliefs, or facts by way of science. If a person chooses faith, then they must also accept faith in all religious beliefs. Which makes faith unrealiable as LifeCycle said.

Any god who denies you the seeking out of knowledge from asking honest, heartfelt questions is not worth worshiping. Never, ever be afraid to ask questions and seek answers. Anyone who doesn't ask questions is ignorant. (Ignorant, remember, being an offshoot from the word 'ignore', and if they don't ask questions and seek answers to doubts, they're ignoring the possible answers that exist. Thus, they're ignorant.)

When it gets right down to it, I do believe that blind faith is complete ignorance. Unless you subscribe to the theory that bliss is ignorance and you're happy living your life by that code (in which very many people are), what crazyguy123 said applies:

"Any belief system or religion that can't provide sensible answers to the tough questions, is probably a belief system or religion that should be abandoned."

And from the looks of it, DaSkeptic, you are far from satisfied with what satisfies most people of faith.

What do you think about faith? Do you think it's a sin to ask logical questions about some that may have holes in its system or it's ok to just 'believe' and go with the flow.

I agree with Bill Maher.  Faith is nothing to be proud of.  Faith is simply assuming something is true.  Christians claim the Bible has all of life's answers but they hate it when people ask them questions.  Good for you DaSkeptic for learning to think for yourself.  Find your own path and don't accept anything without investigating it for yourself.

RogueScholar has it absolutely right. One may believe that just accepting Xtianity on faith and refusing to ask tough questions can do no harm. But look at history. The  Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the killing of "witches", the holocaust (which could not have happened without Xtians' either active or passive support), the attack on Jews for 2000 years by the christian church, etc. Even now fundamental christian take the most inhumane positions in our society e.g. discrimination against gays in marriage and government benefits based upon need, opposition to euthanasia, opposition to science, making biblical law the law of the US,christian control

of education, etc.   bill

RogueScholar has it absolutely right. One may believe that just accepting Xtianity on faith and refusing to ask tough questions can do no harm. But look at history. The  Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, the killing of "witches", the holocaust (which could not have happened without Xtians' either active or passive support), the attack on Jews for 2000 years by the christian church, etc. Even now fundamental christian take the most inhumane positions in our society e.g. discrimination against gays in marriage and government benefits based upon need, opposition to euthanasia, opposition to science, making biblical law the law of the US,christian control

of education, etc.   bill

You could have actually gone on and on and on. Religion is the root of  so much evil in this world, and mostly because it causes individuals to suspend important ethical values for lesser moral guidelines.

SRS: No argument here. It's jus that most Xtians don't taake  it beyond going to church and making friends there. Thank gawd.

But the minority can really make a mess of everything they touch.   bill

Although pistis means "surety, assurance, confidence, personal trust" my guess is that the meaning of "faith" has had to change. Back then, and until very recently, historically speaking (since about 1700), it was easy to have confidence and surety in the promises of any faith. In the absence of alternatives, everybody seemed to have equally good evidence. Smallpox was caused by demons? Bad vapours? Sure. Why not? Anybody else has a better guess?

Thing is, once a tool for learning about our world as powerful as science comes in, the game has changed. The power of the scientific method is in its ability to predict. Before, if you were stricken with Smallpox, all you could do was pray - wear lots of red and hope for the best. With science, we know what it is, we have methods to prevent it, and it's the first infectious disease we managed to exterminate in the wild. Predictive power: we know what causes it, we know how to prevent it, and that alone has saved millions on millions of lives. No religion can compete with that in terms of results.

I see the blind belief thing as a cultural reaction to this. It's hard to keep people in the pews when there's no tangible pay-off. One facet of this is to cultivate distrust in reason, let alone science, and promote wilful ignorance. This emergent tactic is a cultural complex - it's linked to anti-intellectualism, and xenophobia. From this, people are pilloried for asking reasonable questions. From this, ideologies invade school boards to prevent teaching scientific facts. From this, the anti-vaccine movement. From this, children who die because parents only pray. It's tragic, not just because this promotion of pious, zealous certainty in ignorance makes the world of the believer small and petty, but also because, literally, people die as a direct result.

Entering into a debate about the interpretation of scripture implies the bible is both historically and literally true. If the bible is literally true then that implies it has authority over an individual’s life. If the bible isn't literally true then it doesn't really matter what it says. If it isn't true is may still possess some value in the context of wisdom sayings but that would not give it authority to determine how a person must live their life.

I would first require the Christian to authenticate the bible's validity and I would prohibit the Christian from using the bible to validate itself. As far as I'm concerned the bible only matters if it is actually true and historically accurate. There is three hundred years of scholarship that conclusively demonstrates it isn't literally, factually, or historically true. Scholars and many members of the ministry are aware there is no historical Jesus, but the average Christian probably isn't aware of any of that information.

My friend was like God does what he wants and we shouldn't be asking all these questions, it's lack of faith just have faith.

Religious faith is for intellectual and emotional cowards, demonstrates psychological immaturity and encourages use of fallacious reasoning, confirmation bias and irrationality.

The word "faith" has several definitions in the dictionary.  Generic faith, basically defined as trust (based on prior experience, evidence and rational thinking) is different than religious faith.