Goodbye Jesus

A Book: "the Romance Of Winning Children"

Positivist

So, I was randomly at a sort of "free store" and I always gravitate to the book section. (I'm a bibliophile!) I found this gem: A book called "The Romance of Winning Children". It's priceless. And quite creepy. I showed my atheist gal pal who was "shopping" with me and she was *horrified*.

gallery_17242_221_634.jpg

Hmmnn...Yes, that is an unfortunate title. Sounds quite pervy.huh.png

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

We recognize in other areas that children don't have the maturity or experience to make important, life changing decisions. That's why we have age of consent laws for marriage. That's why we have laws against pedophilia.

This is worse.

We recognize in other areas that children don't have the maturity or experience to make important, life changing decisions. That's why we have age of consent laws for marriage. That's why we have laws against pedophilia.

This is worse.

Shouldn't there also be laws determining at what point a child may be exposed to a religion, as well? I think so, but such a thing will never happen in a country dominated by one religion.

Religion would be a complete flop, were it not for the indoctrination of children. "Open wide, Billy. Here's a camel for you to swallow." blink.png

I always hated the predatory nature of evangelical Christianity.

• Like 2

This is worse.

Yeah, they're recognized as not having the maturity to drive, consume alcohol or vote, yet somehow they're fully capable of making what is supposed to be the "most important decision in life"?

Gotta brainwash 'em when they're young, since it's much harder to snag them if they grow up and develop critical thinking ability first.

Looking at that book gives me the same creepy feeling I had when I first watched, 'The Children of the Corn' many years ago. I don't recall the movie much, but I do remember that eerie feeling it left me with. All those blonde children with blank faces, and fields of fully grown corn swaying in the moonlight. Think it is the connection of children (relatively pure and innocent) with great 'evil' that gives me that feeling, the deep sense of wrongness... I long for the day when predatory religion is no longer the norm and no longer acceptable in modern society. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work at a church in children's ministries.  We were trained/taught that people were most likely to be converted before the age of 12 (something like 60%) then it was 30% as teenagers.  It was a used as a point to a. help recruit volunteers and b. help garner more funding.  If only 10% of adults are going to convert, why should we put our money and energy there?  

I was never (and I don't believe any of our staff were ever) physically or sexually inappropriate with minors.  We also had regular criminal record searches done.  But I do feel terrible for all the indoctrination I supported and gave when I was the speaker!  Yes, it's packaged in cute little videos, slideshows, skits, stories, coloring paper, songs, camp themes, vacation bible school themes, sunday school themes, carnival themes and so on and so forth.  

I recall walking a group of kids to bowling during one camp with a couple of other camp leaders.  To keep things interesting and add to the sermon message they had earlier, I led them in a chant of "god is good, all the time, all the time, god is good"  After a few rounds, one of the other camp leaders said loudly "brainwash!" I think she meant how ridiculous that we are doing this to kids.  Good for her to say it (not that it stopped me back then)

I sometimes really hurt thinking of the damage I could have done to kids with all the religion I was promoting and persisting...but sometimes, I think about how smart they are...hopefully smarter than me.  As they grow up, they may see how religion is not working for them and be smart enough to walk away.  

I would bet we could walk into any xtian bookstore now and the book 'romance of winning children' likely won't be there but a variety of other similar, updated books will be :(