Goodbye Jesus

An Urgent Issue

SciWalker

Never mind religious dogma. Some things in this world are far more important than having our minds shepherded.

I had been hugely sceptical about anthropogenic climate change (and in respect to the orthodox view, I remain as such) but having seen thiswww.youtube.com/watch?v=a2x6TEeknfo&feature=player_embeddedI realise there is an angle on the issue that demands our urgent action. A Must-Watch video.

Our planet, our environment, our life, our whole.

I couldn't see any edit facility on the post so I'll paste it so that it reads better (unless the formatting goes wrong again).

Never mind religious dogma. Some things in this world are far more important than having our minds shepherded.

I had been hugely sceptical about anthropogenic climate change (and in respect to the orthodox view, I remain as such) but having seen this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2x6TEeknfo&feature=player_embedded

I realise there is an angle on the issue that demands our urgent action. A Must-Watch video.

Our planet, our environment, our life, our whole.

Don't get your hopes up. A lot of people around here like to turn a blind eye to the environment. 

Alarmist presentation also puts people off.  You automatically lose a predictable percentage of viewers just for that.  I haven't watched the video for that reason, but I'll assume it's something as bad as a lot of stuff I see going on which requires attention just the same.

It's about chemtrails.   Heh.

It's about chemtrails.   Heh.

And that's why I very rarely pay much attention to alarmist presentations of any kind.

Q: What's more depressing than seeing how our planet is being destroyed in front of our noses?

A: The responses you get when you try to tell people.

You'll die of ignorance.

no we wont die of ignorance but possibly our great grandchildren. You should study group polarization theory. This type of argument will never work because of the way we process information. All you are doing is reinforcing their opinions that there is no issue. Learn to present your opinions rationally and with empathy to the other side and you will learn to convince a lot more people.

• Like 1

no we wont die of ignorance but possibly our great grandchildren. You should study group polarization theory. This type of argument will never work because of the way we process information. All you are doing is reinforcing their opinions that there is no issue. Learn to present your opinions rationally and with empathy to the other side and you will learn to convince a lot more people.

I'm led to think (though dispassionately, I hasten to add, in respect to any political or sociological perspective) of Enoch Powell, who spoke out against the UK Government's immigration policy in 1960's and 70's. He was condemned as a vile racist for his 'Rivers of Blood' speech in 1968. He was later asked 'couldn't you have used less incendiary, more balanced, less emotive language?' and he replied 'I did, for years. And nobody took any notice'.

no we wont die of ignorance but possibly our great grandchildren.

Are you absolutely certain you are not being ignorant? You might, for example, get an illness that you wouldn't have if things were different on this score.

Vast swathes of the US population will certainly be wiped out (and it might be worse yet), incidentally, if the Fukushima nuclear reactor plant collapses -- and that will require nothing more than a reasonably (though not hugely) significant aftershock, an event that is rather likely. The sad fact is that it can all be resolved if anyone was prepared to stump up the cash, but nobody seems to want to.

I will leave you to investigate it, if you're up for doing as much. I am not the only one who has Google.

He was facing what  is known as a confirmation bias. It is not easy to get past this Christians face this all the time the best you can do is try and convince people who are leaning towards the middle. Ever debate an atheist or Christian and try and show them there is/isn't a god? how effective are those conversations when people start personally attacking each other? When people start shouting the sky is falling you IMMEDIATLY get dismissed on first impression even if what you have to say is reasonable.

I am not absolutely certain of anything I could die in a car accident tomorrow. Exactly what is your definition of huge swaths?

I don't live my life in mights or coulds I live by what I can control don't assume I don't know what your are talking about I am merely trying to point out the flaw in your approach.

I used to work with a guy who'd get all bent outta shape over chemtrails.  He was also way into Ron Paul- I'd bet there's a strong correlation there.  Anyhow, I used to ask him about them or point them out just to get him ranting.  I haven't seen him since I left that job a year and a half ago to go work for an aircraft company.  If I run into him again I'm gonna tell him I'm doing design work on the aerosol system.

See, it's a government-mandated pollution-control device.  It sprays some kind of chemicals.  Patented shit- I dunno what's in it.  But jets burn lots of fuel, and that makes for lots of carbon dioxide.  The government mandates these aerosols to counteract the effects of that carbon dioxide, which would otherwise be a real problem for global warming since it's already being put up high in the atmosphere where the greenhouse effect takes place.  Yeah, they've just got me designing brackets and installations and shit- you gotta get a security clearance to do anything more than that on these systems.

poke.gif

• Like 1

Q: What's more depressing than seeing how our planet is being destroyed in front of our noses?

A: The responses you get when you try to tell people.

You'll die of ignorance.

Fact is, SciWalker, I knew about chemtrails a long time ago and they freaked me out just the same. Your concerns would meet with more positive response from people in general if you address your presentation style. You have options. Dry and technical; humor; casual; blog, there are others. My approach has been to just fall back and silently collect more data and try to be as informed as possible in case a conversation about something comes up. Responses you've received here just prove my prediction that you lose a solid percentage of potential audience with alarmist presentation.

Granted, chemtrails are alarming when you first see them. Since the military has a part in making them, you'd best gather your resources to deal with that. Riling up civilians isn't going to accomplish much. Find out if Greenpeace is doing anything about them. I'd be curious to know that, just not curious enough to look it up myself.

Chemtrails are also used for weather control. You will see them on the hottest days when we face risk of drought.

Told you so.