Goodbye Jesus

The Christ Myth Theory

Brother Jeff

Is Jesus a myth? I used to think the Christ Myth theory was extreme and crazy but the more I have examined the evidence the more I agree with the theory. I doubt that there was a historical Jesus. I have recently read The Jesus Puzzle. The author, Earl Doherty, makes a very strong case for a mythical Christ. The book begins with a description of two separate Christ traditions and goes on from there to describe the total lack of an earthly Jesus found in the Pauline epistles and the construction of the Gospel Jesus stories from the Old Testament by a process known as midrash. It is a very convincing case that is made that there is no historical Jesus.

In addition, Jesus as described in the Gospels ranks very high on Lord Raglan’s Hero scale. Should we believe the supernatural tales attributed to Jesus, or should we instead recognize them as the myths that they clearly are?

Not a single contemporary historian mentions Jesus and the extra-Biblical accounts that do exist can be dismissed for various reasons, but mostly because they are hearsay. If Jesus had really done the things attributed to him and caused the stir that he is alleged to have caused, surely someone would have taken notice of it!

Discuss. smile.png

LINK: http://religionisbullshit.me/the-christ-myth-theory/

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

I think I have to agree that in all likelihood jesus is a mythological figure based in reality much like the heros in Homer's epics.

That's the camp I've fallen into myself. While there could have been a "Jesus" or group of crazy ass prophets wandering around it doesn't matter. The figure portrayed in the gospels is the same as any mythological figure throughout history. This one just had the right political/cultural environment at the time to flourish. 

I am still inclined to think there was an apolcalyptic wandering preacher named Yeshua, who caused some trouble in the Temple and was crucified. His followers contained some really genius level thinkers of the time who later wrote all this mythology around him.

It almost doesn't matter now whether or not Jesus was a real person. We cannot know anything about him except what is written by his followers and it is all mythologized.  The "historical Jesus" can't really be retrieved except for some sayings (just a few) in the New Testament and the Gospel of Thomas that might be genuine.

That's where I have come to also deva, the 'evidence' is all tainted.

Ive thought this for a while now, having read a number of books on the subject, and looked at the evidence.

The closer you look , the more problems there are.

What i don't understand, is how this one myth has be one so accepted throughout the world.....

Perhaps because it was taken around the world by conquering empires and imposed as a measure of 'civilisation' ?

(Just an immediate thought, no research put in ;) )

Jeff, you might also want to check out Doherty's 34 part response to Bart Ehrman's book Did Jesus Exist?

http://vridar.wordpress.com/earl-dohertys-response-to-bart-ehrmans-did-jesus-exist/

There might or might not have been a 1st century failed apocalyptic prophet, who may or may not have inspired the Myth of Jesus. It's more likely that Paul's Cosmic Christ was later historicized by the Church.

I don't believe all mythology is based upon historical figures, animals, or events. Sometimes a story is just a story and that's what I believe about Jesus, his special 12 followers, totally fictional characters.

I've been studying and researching this theory for a number of years now. Dr. Robert M Price has written a couple of good books dealing with this subject. Earl Doherty, as previously referenced, has also done some excellent work. Doherty's book "The Jesus Puzzle" is on line and well worth reading. When I compare the various authors and the material they've written, the evidence leads me to conclude the Biblical Jesus was more than likely a myth. More and more scholars are beginning to accept the possibility of a mythical Jesus too.

Dr. Price noted the burden of proof rest with scholars that endorse a historical Jesus because there is no evidence that such a person existed in the flesh.